Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say there's an asteroid impact, or WW4, etc, and u manage to find or create wall socket electricity for your rig, but u know its probably the last gaming rig u will ever own, until it fails.

How would u use it ?

I'd probably stick to my old games from the 2000s, and play once per week just an hour, and certainly under clock the CPU and GPU. I'd expect my monitor, MB or drives would go 1st, then its really game over.

Now there's a reason not to toss your old parts

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
I wouldn't be playing on my computer. I would probably strip everything out of my case and use it to store ammo. And when I say strip, I mean take the back of a hammer and rip the motherboard and HDD cages out as fast as I could.

Then I would use the PSU to try and create some sort of electrical weapon out of a car battery or I could take it and strip the coils out and use them to make a smelter kind of like how people do with microwaves.

http://www.instructables.com/id/microwave-smelter/

I would use the HDDs as bricks to throw at people. I would use my AMD CPU to stab people with with the little pins. I would use my keyboard to teach the young ones the alphabet when society settles down and we live in the ruins of big cities. I would use my monitor as a chalk board for the children to draw on since it has a matte finish.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post

How would u use it ?

I'd probably stick to my old games from the 2000s, and play once per week just an hour, and certainly under clock the CPU and GPU. I'd expect my monitor, MB or drives would go 1st, then its really game over.

computer components age and die whether you use them or not... it's actually healthier for your capacitors to boot up at lease once a day then to just let it sit there and crystallize.

the 1st thing to go will be the moving parts like HDD, or if you have SSD, that will die 1st since the MLC wont last as long as the mechanical drives. if you keep your fans clean, then that will typically last pretty long so it's a toss up between the fans and the capacitor that will die next. i wouldn't bother under-clocking because it doesn't actually help prolonging your computer. the chip will likely be the last component to die on your machine assuming you have proper cooling.

most machines wont last more then 10 years no matter how you take care of it due to chemical decay in the capacitors.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would be OK. I've got 2 desktops and 2 laptops in the house and enough parts to build another desktop if I wanted to. At least a half dozen spare fans, 2 spare HDDs, even a spare case. Multiple mice and keyboards as well.

It's one of the perks of being the senior system administrator where I work.

But I am curious to know what happened to all of the rest of the computers and parts in the world. Even if society broken down or most people were killed in a zombie apocalypse there would surely still be computer parts to be scavanged. People would raid the grocery and gun stores, but I doubt too many people would bother looting the Fry's down the street from me and take all of the motherboards and CPUs, much less empty the place of case fans.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
In the event of a total apocalypse, my video games would be the last thing on my mind. In fact, I'd likely board up my windows, lock up my doors, and abandon my house along with everything that isn't immediately useful in it in favor of a better location (better access to natural resources, easier fortified, whatever).

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

In the event of a total apocalypse, my video games would be the last thing on my mind. In fact, I'd likely board up my windows, lock up my doors, and abandon my house along with everything that isn't immediately useful in it in favor of a better location (better access to natural resources, easier fortified, whatever).
Why would you board up your windows and lock your doors if you're going to abandon your house?
headscratch.gif

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

Why would you board up your windows and lock your doors if you're going to abandon your house?
headscratch.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Such a great question.. seems like unneeded effort
Because all "apocalypses" eventually end. If I survive to see that day, things like a closet full of functioning computer parts, money, fine furniture, etc, suddenly become a lot more valuable than survival equipment.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Quote:

Say there's an asteroid impact, or WW4, etc, and u manage to find or create wall socket electricity for your rig, but u know its probably the last gaming rig u will ever own, until it fails.

How would u use it ?

when was WW3 ??? did i miss it? im sure it'll be hard to miss ... hmmmm
headscratch.gif

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post

headscratch.gif
Dude WW3, or WWIII as it is properly called, happened November 2013 when MS and Sony went head to head. Many an Internet account got banned during this time. And many a job were lost because of this.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
If I had a PC that worked in a post-apocalyptic world that was that bad off, I'd be storing more important technical information in all fields rather than games.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatsquare View Post

If I had a PC that worked in a post-apocalyptic world that was that bad off, I'd be storing more important technical information in all fields rather than games.
This.

Though I honestly wouldn't give a **** about that stuff at the time.

I'd be getting survival gear, weapons etc.

·
Iconoclast
31,027 Posts
I'd probably get off the computer for a while, pick up my bugout bag and shotgun, then help piece together some modicum of civilization (and a better one)...so someone could get back to building me parts.

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

I'd probably get off the computer for a while, pick up my bugout bag and shotgun, then help piece together some modicum of civilization (and a better one)...so someone could get back to building me parts.
LOL It all comes back around to PC gaming after all!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember the 1st time I played FallOut 3, took all the good junk from the vault, and was thinking, oh wow I bet plates and forks, books, irons, glass bottles, etc.....will be really valuable. So I took every single piece of junk I find in the vault, and then I get outside and there littered across the streets, take all that too, and slow walk iy all to Megaton
doh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post

headscratch.gif
Its been waged on the so called 3rd world for decades, by the imperial powers and the central banksters. The US is in a world war by its own definition since its waging it on more than 1 continent

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
Quote:

I remember the 1st time I played FallOut 3, took all the good junk from the vault, and was thinking, oh wow I bet plates and forks, books, irons, glass bottles, etc.....will be really valuable. So I took every single piece of junk I find in the vault, and then I get outside and there littered across the streets, take all that too, and slow walk iy all to Megaton
doh.gif

Its been waged on the so called 3rd world for decades, by the imperial powers and the central banksters. The US is in a world war by its own definition since its waging it on more than 1 continent
Is that like a gangster banker?

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

vids or it didn't happen
tongue.gif
Dude wake up SHEEPLE! The people who run the Illuminati also run the gaming industry. That's why Half Life 3 hasn't been made yet. They're keeping people in the dark!

OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEP! IT'S A BIG CONSPIRACY! SHEEP!!!! BAAH BAAH SHEEP!

Anybody who doesn't understand this absolute truth is a blind sheep for the banksters.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts