Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Xeon OC Club
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the choice of a Phenom II X4 955 BE or a Phenom II X4 940 BE as a processor upgrade from my computer, I can get the 940 for free or pay 30 bucks and get a 955 BE. Seeing as my mother board is meant for AM2+, but cab run AM3, what would be the speed difference? I can either get the fastest CPU in the world or one right below it for free. I truthfully do not know what to do, because my mobo is really meant for AM2+ stuff with AM3 support as a bonus.

EDIT:the reason I can get the 940 for free is I am building a computer for a guy from my old parts, and giving him my 9600 BE to use (he is gonna do light gaming and stuff)

EDIT 2: fastest AMD CPU in the world meant for DESKTOPS

• Rep+
Reactions: That_guy3

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
955BE is so worth IMO, its future proof and will allow you to upgrade to AM3 in the future and for 30$
thats amazing! The 955 is as good as the Q9550, if not better.

Remember AM3 cpu's are backwards compatible so you should have no problem with the 955.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
I'd get the 955 just because you can use it in both AM2+ rigs and AM3 rigs.

·
Xeon OC Club
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I was worried it would cause instability or something in an AM2+ board

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Yeah go for the 955 for sure. Hech of a CPU and I have had both and I can tell the difference, its not a huge one but its noticable.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dudeson169

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
can you get both and sell the 940be to me for $50 and keep the 955 to yourself?

• Rep+

·
Xeon OC Club
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

can you get both and sell the 940be to me for $50 and keep the 955 to yourself?

um... no The choice I have is getting the 940 BE for free (but I am ginving him my 9600, so not completely free, and I a m building him a PC) or paying 30 bucks and getting a 955 BE for the same deal, in place of the 940 BE

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
hehehe

955be without a doubt since it gives you better upgrade options with ddr3.

• Rep+

·
Xeon OC Club
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the help, I rep'd you all for the help, just a little way of saying thanks
boy I cant wait to tear games apart with my new CPU (and be able to use Vista X64 again
)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.