Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Xeon OC Club
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the choice of a Phenom II X4 955 BE or a Phenom II X4 940 BE as a processor upgrade from my computer, I can get the 940 for free or pay 30 bucks and get a 955 BE. Seeing as my mother board is meant for AM2+, but cab run AM3, what would be the speed difference? I can either get the fastest CPU in the world or one right below it for free. I truthfully do not know what to do, because my mobo is really meant for AM2+ stuff with AM3 support as a bonus.

EDIT:the reason I can get the 940 for free is I am building a computer for a guy from my old parts, and giving him my 9600 BE to use (he is gonna do light gaming and stuff)

EDIT 2: fastest AMD CPU in the world meant for DESKTOPS

• Rep+
Reactions: That_guy3

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
955BE is so worth IMO, its future proof and will allow you to upgrade to AM3 in the future and for 30$
thats amazing! The 955 is as good as the Q9550, if not better.

Remember AM3 cpu's are backwards compatible so you should have no problem with the 955.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
I'd get the 955 just because you can use it in both AM2+ rigs and AM3 rigs.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Can't wait to see some people come in here and reprimand you for the "fastest processor in the world" comment. Regardless, 955 FTW. No question about it, especially for $30.

·
Xeon OC Club
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I was worried it would cause instability or something in an AM2+ board

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Yeah go for the 955 for sure. Hech of a CPU and I have had both and I can tell the difference, its not a huge one but its noticable.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dudeson169

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
For 30 bucks, definitely get the 955, that is an extra boost of performance at stock settings (meaning that you should be able to reach a higher maximum overclock with the same amount of volts, definitely worth it.

• Rep+

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
can you get both and sell the 940be to me for $50 and keep the 955 to yourself?

• Rep+

·
Xeon OC Club
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

can you get both and sell the 940be to me for $50 and keep the 955 to yourself?

um... no The choice I have is getting the 940 BE for free (but I am ginving him my 9600, so not completely free, and I a m building him a PC) or paying 30 bucks and getting a 955 BE for the same deal, in place of the 940 BE

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
hehehe

955be without a doubt since it gives you better upgrade options with ddr3.

• Rep+

·
Xeon OC Club
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the help, I rep'd you all for the help, just a little way of saying thanks
boy I cant wait to tear games apart with my new CPU (and be able to use Vista X64 again
)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts