Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been saving up for a while (for nothing) and I'm not quite sure what to buy for my PC. I've narrowed it down to two options:

Buy another GTX 680 to drive my 1440p monitor that is on the way
OR
Buy a 256GB Crucial M4 and a 3770K to go with my Z77 board.

My rig is for gaming, general use and occasional video rendering + photoshop.

I'm feeling like the first option is much more worthwhile because a single GTX 680 can struggle a bit at 1440p. The second option is nice because I can use the 256GB SSD to put my games on which are currently on a mechanical hard drive, the 3770K would give a nice boost in video rendering and photoshop but I don't really do either very often.

Please help me decide which option to go with or feel free to submit any other ideas, rig in my signature so you can see my current components. Cheers!
biggrin.gif

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Stick with the 2500k untill Haswell, then make the big upgrade. But for now get another 680, It will help. That resolution isnt very extreme so no need for the 4gb version, you would be bottle necked anyway by the 2gb card

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

Stick with the 2500k untill Haswell, then make the big upgrade. But for now get another 680, It will help. That resolution isnt very extreme so no need for the 4gb version, you would be bottle necked anyway by the 2gb card
If I get Haswell it won't be for a while, buying into any new chipset off the bat is a bad idea in my opinion. There's nearly always issues, like P67 and the SATA problems etc. It's taken Gigabyte until mid 2012 to perfect their 1155 boards. I'll probably wait until 2014 if I decide to go that route.

·
Bite my shiny metal GPU!
4,037 Posts
That's a wise decision. There's already rumors of a problem with USB3 and Haswell's sleep states, so who knows what other problems there could be. "Tock" transitions (Westmere -> Sandy Bridge) are usually more problematic initially than a "Tick" (like Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge).

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
I'm replying just to highlight that the ssd won't give any gaming boost once the game is started.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts