Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the idea ENTERPRISE, it's fun to do this

If you had my cpu, what would you improve?
The specs are on sig

Btw, I know the PSU is weak so I'm getting a new one soon (I'm thinking Eurotech Silent 460w Modding Version).

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Dude, you got an good system and a massive overclock. :drunk:

You're obviously not experiencing any probs overclocking, so if you don't really have any reason to replace the CPU, I would go with a gig of RAM or a high-end video card instead.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got my CPU to 3.75Ghz @ 1:1 ratio. The mem timings are 3-3-4-8-8. I got my vcore @ 1.55, but my temps are below 50ºC so I'm not very worried... should I be?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Dude, that ram is seriously hurting your performance. Windows XP needs almost 256 just to run comfortably. If I were you, I would first get a gig of ram, probably PC4000 or PC3700. Then I would get a new heatsink, like an XP-90 or XP-120. Then I would get a new video card. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Hey Lando. Do you think the 512MB of RAM in my system is hurting my performance? Cause I have really been wanting to get about a Gig.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizvok

Hey Lando. Do you think the 512MB of RAM in my system is hurting my performance? Cause I have really been wanting to get about a Gig.

You can certainly get by with 512, but 1 gig is really recommended. I noticed an immediate improvement going from 512 to a gig. Gaming is much nicer as well.

• Rep+
Reactions: Darnal and Grizvok

·
Banned
289 Posts
Thanks. I will probably make the improvement after Christmas/my B-Day which is in December. And should I sell my current RAM and buy (512MB x2) or should I just drop 2 more 256MB in. I have heard that 4 sticks hurts overclocking and peformance.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

You can certainly get by with 512, but 1 gig is really recommended. I noticed an immediate improvement going from 512 to a gig. Gaming is much nicer as well.

I have to agree. I can't even recall now how many times a game has forced me to upgrade (it all started with GTA3 about 2 1/2 years ago
), but in the case of my current RAM, FarCry was the culprit. With my 512mb of dual channel Kingston HyperX PC3700, Far Cry was choppy as all outdoors. I started noticing that the choppiness was directly related to hard drive activity. I pondered for a moment and thought to myself, "self, how could the two factors, choppiness in gameplay and hard drive activity, be related?" I came to the conclusion that FarCry required more than 512mb of RAM, and that virtual memory (page file, swap file) was being utilized...excessively. I ctrl+alt+delete'd and sure enough, in game I was using upward of 560mb of RAM (sometimes into the six and seven hundreds
).

So, moral of the story, as Lando said, upgrading RAM will give you a dramatic improvement in system performance....and not just in gaming, either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts