Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Current setup, What would you guys suggest I upgrade/change? I've got around £250.

Core Components

Intel® Core™ i5 2500K 4.2ghz @ 1.24v
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU
EVGA GTX 780Ti 3GB
Storage
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Pioneer 12x Bluray RW 207DBK
psu
Cooler Master V850

Monitor
Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS
Case
NZXT Phantom White SE w/ Red Led
Input
Corsair Vengeance M60 Laser Mouse
Roccat Taito MID-SIZE
Ducky Shine III TKL w/MX Blues + Green LED's
Audio
Logitech z906 5.1 500w THX cert. Surround sound
BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro Headphones

I'm a Gamer primarily. I'm thinking a larger Storage drive for my games 4Tb?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
SSD´s are so cheap that it would make more sense to get a 240 GB or bigger SSD instead, would also speed up your loading times in games.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
The WD Green is not really that great for games they are really too slow for that, a WD Black would be a better option.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've thought about pushing my budget up a bit and buying these 3 :

WD Black 3Tb drive for my Games
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Case in Black
Enermax Liqtech 240 AIO, based on this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3fWYb_8mRQ

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschisholm View Post

I've thought about pushing my budget up a bit and buying these 3 :

WD Black 3Tb drive for my Games
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Case in Black
Enermax Liqtech 240 AIO, based on this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3fWYb_8mRQ
If you are going to buy the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe you need to buy two new 120mm or 140mm for the front because that 200mm fan the case comes with is trash and does not move any air.
Thats the first thing i did when i bought the Luxe throw that damm useless 200mm fan away

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Other than the 200mm fan on the front, good case is it?

Yeah I do like Air cooling still, never tried a AiO before, but I wanted to try and go for a majority black/white build theme.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Your setup is honestly pretty good as is. The thing that I'd replace is your speaker setup. Get rid of that Logitech stuff and get some real speakers.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually only just got the z906 setup in June, for decoding bluray audio and outputting it in HD they're actually really awesome. However I'm open to suggestions for future upgrade idea's.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,950 Posts
Quote:

Other than the 200mm fan on the front, good case is it?

Yeah I do like Air cooling still, never tried a AiO before, but I wanted to try and go for a majority black/white build theme.
Its a very good case, only thing i want to complain about is you need to take the whole front panel off to get to the front fan filter and its a major pain.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
That and the corsair 240mm clc are the worst things you can buy for price/performance.

Then check a phanteks heatsink or cryorig

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:

I actually only just got the z906 setup in June, for decoding bluray audio and outputting it in HD they're actually really awesome. However I'm open to suggestions for future upgrade idea's.
No offense, but they're actually pretty meh.
wink.gif

For the future, I'd recommend you look into some studio monitors + powered subwoofer, or some bookshelfs, T amp, and a powered sub.........or replace the T amp with a receiver.

Basically, I'm saying build your own speaker setup, instead of using a "gaming PC" speaker setup that's mostly marketing.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well to be honest I use the z906 5.1 setup only for Bluray's and Music. I use my Headphones for gaming. Gaming isn't really their main intended use.

So like Yamaha receiver + 5 Studio monitors + sub?

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Well to be honest I use the z906 5.1 setup only for Bluray's and Music. I use my Headphones for gaming. Gaming isn't really their main intended use.

So like Yamaha receiver?
Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, or a Pioneer receiver (in that order in my opinion but they're all good). Pair that with some good bookshelf speakers (and a center if you want surround sound). And add in a good 10 or 12" powered subwoofer. It'll be spendy, but speakers are more of an investment than a purchase.

If you're wanting surround sound, you'll need a receiver, a T amp won't work.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes Surround Sound and Bluray, nothing else compares imo.

I'd like to get a couple years use outta the z906 setup for now, but I'll keep in mind what you've said, its giving me the upgrade itch lol

for what its worth I don't buy into the whole "gaming pc" marketing crap, it's almost like the "power of ps4" bull they spout on TV..I genuinely wanted a ready to go audio setup that would be better than my old z506 75w which was ok but you can understand the gravity of the change to the z906 500w thx cert., plus all the digital connections was a huge draw for me..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts