Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good cpu temp for a P4 2Ghz Northwood right now 2 of my programs are saying the cpu is at 43 the bios is saying 49 which is right, whats a good temp (no thermal paste and would like to up it a bit) is 55c okay???

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamerule9
Whats a good cpu temp for a P4 2Ghz Northwood right now 2 of my programs are saying the cpu is at 43 the bios is saying 49 which is right, whats a good temp (no thermal paste and would like to up it a bit) is 55c okay???

Thanks in advance
Northwood's shouldn't get over 55C for sure. I keep mine at 50C right now under full load, but that'll change as soon as my Thermalright XP-120 gets here.

I'd say you're crazy if you're runnin your processor with no thermal paste...get some AS5 for sure.

·
Registered
299 Posts
mate no thermal paste u wud probably do better without a heat sink lol.
metal to metal wud conduct sh**t loads of heat. your cpu should be running under load at around 50 degrees with stock cooling and no overclock.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwEaK_MoNkeY
mate no thermal paste u wud probably do better without a heat sink lol.
metal to metal wud conduct sh**t loads of heat. your cpu should be running under load at around 50 degrees with stock cooling and no overclock.
im on Intel 3.0EGhz , my idle is 58 and my load is 78 .... do you think its normal ?
im on stock cooling.... i just find it damn high.... maybe there are something wrong with my cooling or was it suppost to be that high ... ?

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahb
im on Intel 3.0EGhz , my idle is 58 and my load is 78 .... do you think its normal ?
im on stock cooling.... i just find it damn high.... maybe there are something wrong with my cooling or was it suppost to be that high ... ?
I think that is quite high. I have a Precott 3.2GHZ and that is 46C at load. Shouldn't really go above 65C

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Maybe there are problems with the heatsink. Most people would say get Artic Silver 5 paste as that would help cool it quite a bit.

·
Banned
102 Posts
it could just be seated wrong, before you go buying as5 (which i suggest you do anyway) trying reseating the heatsink

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin
it could just be seated wrong, before you go buying as5 (which i suggest you do anyway) trying reseating the heatsink
i tried...
i try it again later...

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahb
i tried...
i try it again later...
I say buy a new HS, and set it using AS5, remember put a BB sized drop of AS5 in on your CPU and press the HS on to keep from making bubbles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
talking about the AS5... bout the greezz thingy... i might have found the problem ...
hehehe ... i dont remember applying any greese on my processor when i install the system

i guess thats the problem ...
man ... after 2 years using this comp
hehehe i got lucky without burning it...

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahb

talking about the AS5... bout the greezz thingy... i might have found the problem ...
hehehe ... i dont remember applying any greese on my processor when i install the system

i guess thats the problem ...
man ... after 2 years using this comp
hehehe i got lucky without burning it...

You got really lucky.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:

i dont remember applying any greese on my processor when i install the system

Well, you installed the stock HSF right? That comes with a thermal pad attached so you don't need to apply paste.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotec

Well, you installed the stock HSF right? That comes with a thermal pad attached so you don't need to apply paste.

I've only seen the thermal pads on Socket A P2s and P3s, I beleive that they stopped using them because they don't allow enough heat conductivity.

·
Banned
642 Posts
DID I HEAR NO THERMAL PAISTE AHHH! well idk what he ment by it exactly but get ya some arctic silver and a good HSF and keep it like 38 idle and 45 load that will be fine

·
Registered
68 Posts
i checked... and hey... now i see why i never apply the thermal paste... because it comes with the thermal pad like what idiotec just mention. ... well... maybe wasnt my problem anyway ... i got some excess thermal paste from b4... i removed the heatsink and apply some on it. and put it back on again .... and changing the chassis fan from drawing air out from the comp... i make it blow in cold air instate... my temprature droped to 51°C from 58°C ...

comments ?

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
i have 3.6 p4 precott, it runs at like................. 55-69 with just stock hsf and no case fan (it didnt really have any fans. there was no case. it just got delivered 3 hours ago... *preys to god that its inside cuz its snowin like the dickens outside and it was 100 dollars and has a psu and cpu inside...... *runs from school to go shove the 50 pound box inside the door and runs back to finish the last 33 minutes of school *yawns and gags.. studyhall sucks balls*

1 - 20 of 24 Posts