Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what temps yall run on your HDD's?

currently mine is at 22*C with my case side off and the fan blowing in
witht the side on its average is about 30-32*C

your turn lol
Joe

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
32C also with the side on.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

32C also with the side on.

The one ontop in my configeration is about 40c, and the one on the bottom is about 57c, lol. Probably because the airflow in that part of the case just sucks.. lol

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

The one ontop in my configeration is about 40c, and the one on the bottom is about 57c, lol. Probably because the airflow in that part of the case just sucks.. lol

Mine is running @ 29C with the side on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
44 - 47c...... with all the fans on but none directly on the hd..... I have very little area to allow air folw thru the front of the case.....

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
about 32*c all the time, with sides on and off. 2 fans blow air on the raptors which are like 34*c, and then the 120 runs at 29*c

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley

are we overclocking our hard drives now?

Now I again sound like a noob, how do I find my ND temp?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
run a probe from a fan controller/temp monitor to it.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
or if your drive is SMART compatible you can use MBM to see

How to do it

open te MBM Settings

on the General tab, drag the bar down so that you can check the "scan for IDE hard drives with temp sensors" check it (or check SCSI if its applicable)

then reboot your system

open up MBM settings again

go to the Temp's tab

select a MBM5 Sensor thats not being used

then in the next drop down select your HDD

Joe

• Rep+
Reactions: ThE_GeNeRaL

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
I gave up trying to cool my hard disks when the stupid little fans they put in removable hard disk bays started dying after about 6 months of use.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Mine's about 30.5ºC full load (copying huge 4Gb files).

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Got the new ChiefTec full-tower, she's a beauty, and I have a fan blowing on each hard drive which now puts them at 27-32c, lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got 2 WD like 1/4 away from each other in a compaq mini case, running some aftermarket fans (92 mill direct from psu and pci exhaust) and i get around 28 t0 30 degrees with 20 degree room temp

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
I've heard there have been numerous studies that show lower temperature prolongs hard drive life. I've never seen one of these studies though. It makes sense though when you consider the mechanics of a hard drive.

If you're above 50C, find a way to cool that drive down or you're really pushing it. Below that the cooler the better, although anywhere below 35C is very good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts