Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my SSD has 3M double sided tape on it to mount it to my PC. How do I get rid of it without damaging the SSD itself?

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,638 Posts
Heat gun or blow dryer. That should loosen it.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
If the case is metal, carefully drip 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol (IPA) on the adhesive. You don't want to get any inside the SSD. Even 3M's VHB tape will come loose with IPA.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the case is metal, carefully drip 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol (IPA) on the adhesive. You don't want to get any inside the SSD. Even 3M's VHB tape will come loose with IPA.
I was planning on cutting the SSD off the case. Would a blow dryer with IPA help after I cut it out?

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
I was planning on cutting the SSD off the case. Would a blow dryer with IPA help after I cut it out?
Once you get the SSD off the case (I still recommend using small amounts of IPA to soften the adhesive instead of cutting off the SSD), just use an IPA wetted paper towel on the remaining tape and give the IPA time do the work. Using a blow dryer with the IPA will just evaporate it long before it can soften the adhesive. It's also slightly possible to damage the SSD using heat.

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,190 Posts
Isopropyl alcohol is safe to use on stuff like this, but if you are trying to get it clean might take a while. Ammonia does a great job at dissolving adhesives though. Might try some on a paper towel or sponge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts