Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine is wanting me to build him a system, and he is partial to AMD cause they are generally cheaper. But my only experience is with intel so far. Anyway, I was wondering what AMD's top dual core is for overclocking. I know AMD is doing a lot of Quad core stuff right now, but I had heard that they were going to be putting out a 4.0Ghz dual core pretty soon. Is there any truth to this? And if not, what is the best current 45nm dual core they have, and how well do they typically overclock?

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
The top dual core is the Phenom II 550 BE.

They usually fall short of 4GHz due to their cripped IMC and it having issues with 64 bit operating systems.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedma11229
View Post

The highest stock clock amd cpu is the Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4.

The highest end dual core is the 550 BE @ 3.1 ghz which might be unlocked to a triple or quad core.

Both overclock well. The 965 to 3.6, 3.8 is least. I doubt they will put out a 4 ghz anything.

So you havent read the news about the C3 965s huh?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the 550 BE. I am looking to reach 3.8Ghz on air. Think it's possible with that processor? And I did notice one thing about it.. it seems to have a low cache, equal to my lowly intel e4300. Think that could hurt the benchmarks? (on all max graphics settings) Or could it affect gaming in any way?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
3.8GHz on air may be a bit of a challenge, you'll need a good air cooler. That said, it is doable.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

The top dual core is the Phenom II 550 BE.

They usually fall short of 4GHz due to their cripped IMC and it having issues with 64 bit operating systems.

what are these 64bit issues you speak of? :S

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennylava
View Post

So the 550 BE. I am looking to reach 3.8Ghz on air. Think it's possible with that processor? And I did notice one thing about it.. it seems to have a low cache, equal to my lowly intel e4300. Think that could hurt the benchmarks? (on all max graphics settings) Or could it affect gaming in any way?

Your CPU doesn't have L3 cache now does it?

3.8Ghz via air is easy on an aftermarket cooler

Have you found a nice aftermarket cooler to use yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by neurolysis
View Post

3.8GHz on air may be a bit of a challenge, you'll need a good air cooler. That said, it is doable.

How is 3.8Ghz on air a challenge?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs
View Post

Your CPU doesn't have L3 cache now does it?

Like I said, it's one of the lower intels. As in, they don't even make it anymore. So please don't start the whole underdog debate. That's not what this thread is about. I'll never understand you amd fanboys

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
I'd get a 720BE. You'll see ~3.6GHz easy on it. Possibly 3.8 with a good cooler. And, if your lucky, you'll get one that'll unlock into a quad.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like AMD doesn't make a dual core anymore, that isn't just a quad with 2 locked cores. Is this true? I would prefer a true dual core for the build if possible.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I only know about Deneb and Propus cores (both are quads). With the other 2 cores disabled it really wouldn't consume more energy than a native dual-core CPU.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs
View Post

How is 3.8Ghz on air a challenge?

The vcore needed, and thus temps on the 550.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like AMD doesn't make a dual core anymore, that isn't just a quad with 2 locked cores. Is this true? I would prefer a true dual core for the build if possible.
I think some of the Athlon IIs are native dual cores, but the more experience guys can correct me on this one if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicw View Post
I think some of the Athlon IIs are native dual cores, but the more experience guys can correct me on this one if I'm wrong.
yes

athlon II x2's are regor and so is the sempron 140, ACC can enable the second core with some luck.

the ahtlon II 250 X2' 3.0ghz regor unlocks with ACC to an unlock multiplier.

regor has 1Mb L2 cache. AMD cores aren't cache hungry, more like sub zero hungry.

They still have Nb speed to balance out with the core, but no L3 cache.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts