Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm just wondering what's better but bear in mind i already i have am3 motherboard and my be albe to get a 1366 board i do gaming and video editing plz help

·

13,201 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Well the FX-8150 is better at least for multi threaded stuff (like video editing) but its not that great of an gaming chip. If we are talking overclocked then I would rather have an i7 920 as far as gaming goes.

The FX-8350 is a much better option then an 8150 for gaming and even though its still slower in single thread then an i7 920 (assuming both are running your average OC) its usually still fast enough for it not to be to much of an issue.

So I would say FX-8350 > i7 920 > FX-8150 assuming all chips are running OC'd. That's a big deal as the i7 920 has so much more OC potential then the two AMD chips.

·
Premium Member
8,235 Posts
A i7 920 @ 4-4.2ghz would be the better gaming chip, and in most cases better then a FX-8350 @ 5ghz.

Though when it comes to multi threading and Video Editing the FX-8150 would be the better chip.

Though depending on your AM3's wattage support it would probably be easier to pick up a 1366 board as most of them are already built to handle a high wattage chip. While Getting a Mobo for a 8150/8350 would require one that can take high wattage as the chip need it when you start overclocking them high.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i have a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

A i7 920 @ 4-4.2ghz would be the better gaming chip, and in most cases better then a FX-8350 @ 5ghz.

Though when it comes to multi threading and Video Editing the FX-8150 would be the better chip.

Though depending on your AM3's wattage support it would probably be easier to pick up a 1366 board as most of them are already built to handle a high wattage chip. While Getting a Mobo for a 8150/8350 would require one that can take high wattage as the chip need it when you start overclocking them high.
well i have this board GA-970A-UD3

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Have you seem the prices on 1366 boards? Sure the 920 is better, but seriously on eBay any decent 1366 board is going to cost you 250-$300

I messeaged someone on the forum, he sold his x58 board for $370 shipped!

Unless you can get a board for cheap I'd say stick with what you have. You can still buy am3+ brand new....

Edit: you can get a sabertooth 990fx board, and an 8350, may not be better than an x58 platform, but it has USB 3 sata 6gb/s, supports newer instructions, and you won't have to deal with the used market!

Trust me I picked up a 1366 board on ebay, and turns out it was DOA, it's frustrating. I also did the same thing with my sig rig, till I broke down and just bought a new board and it's been great.

If you can get the 1366 board it's a great option, 920s go for around $30 on eBay, if you can't just go newer

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You w
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz9417 View Post

Ok with that am3 board i said will that handle a oc fx 8120
You won't overclock very far, but from what I heard that's the lowest board you can get for minor overclocks.

I would say the best bang for your buck is the 8320, or even the 6300. For gaming, paired with a decent gpu this is all you need.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Quote:

Dont be dumb.

OP, your sig says you already have an i7 3820. Why not stick with that and just overclock it up to around 4.5 GHz? That seems like the best option to me because it is cheapest by far.

·
Premium Member
8,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Dont be dumb.

OP, your sig says you already have an i7 3820. Why not stick with that and just overclock it up to around 4.5 GHz? That seems like the best option to me because it is cheapest by far.
The Single thread power of a 8320 @ 5ghz is not impressive, and most games that have good multithread support are mostly GPU bound.

For Overall in gaming the i7 920 @ 4.2 would probably come out on top more then a 8320 @ 5ghz would. But not by much
Not to say the 8320 isn't a better chip, as it is. IMO more multithread performance the better, for long term. ATM the i7 is a more consistent performer.

I just think AMD needs to drop this old chipset/socket and push out a new platform with Steamroller

Thing is if you have a D0 i7 920 getting 4.2ghz is not hard, almost any chip can do it provided you give it enough volts and you can cool it down. Getting a 8150 and getting it to 4.8-5.0ghz on a Mobo that isn't suited to handle a power draw that large for long periods of time if his chip ends out being volt hungry. Some times you find a pretty nice 1366 board used for a cheaper price, but can be harder to find one.

But for the main purpose for Video Editing the 8150 would probably be the better, especially if you are only going to be using a single video card. Though IMO I would rather stick with a i7 920 over then 8150, if it was the 8320 then getting that would probably be the better thing to use. But the 8150 is pretty Meh in OC potential and the i7 would be a more constant performer.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Quote:

The Single thread power of a 8320 @ 5ghz is not impressive, and most games that have good multithread support are mostly GPU bound.

For Overall in gaming the i7 920 @ 4.2 would probably come out on top more then a 8320 @ 5ghz would. But not by much
Not to say the 8320 isn't a better chip, as it is. IMO more multithread performance the better, for long term. ATM the i7 is a more consistent performer.

I just think AMD needs to drop this old chipset/socket and push out a new platform with Steamroller

Thing is if you have a D0 i7 920 getting 4.2ghz is not hard, almost any chip can do it provided you give it enough volts and you can cool it down. Getting a 8150 and getting it to 4.8-5.0ghz on a Mobo that isn't suited to handle a power draw that large for long periods of time if his chip ends out being volt hungry. Some times you find a pretty nice 1366 board used for a cheaper price, but can be harder to find one.

But for the main purpose for Video Editing the 8150 would probably be the better, especially if you are only going to be using a single video card. Though IMO I would rather stick with a i7 920 over then 8150, if it was the 8320 then getting that would probably be the better thing to use. But the 8150 is pretty Meh in OC potential and the i7 would be a more constant performer.
I own an i5 3570K (stronger single thread performance than an i7 920) and an FX-8350. The i5 only can get to 4.7GHz, and it is within 1 FPS of my 8350 at 5GHz. And I play a lot of older games too that are not multithreaded. With my 8350 up at 5.4GHz where I usually run it then this CPU wins by a few FPS. Most people cant get up this high you are right on that, but an i7 920 is not a much better gaming chip from what I have seen, especially when comparing a 4.2GHz 920 to a 5GHz 8350.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Dont be dumb.

right now i have a x4 945 and hd 7870

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz9417 View Post

or what about a fx 6300 for gaming and rendering ?
That and the 8320 would be the cheapest options, since you wouldn't have to buy a new motherboard or triple channel ram with the 1366.

But yeah I hear the 6300 when overclocked is very potent for gaming especially when overclocked.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My honest opinion is this, I have an 8120 overclocked to 4.2 and I am completely happy with my rig, It games perfectly fine for me, and I have enough power to do other things as well, sure I'll probably upgrade eventually but right now I'm completely happy, because I got the cpu and a cooler for it for $100.

I said all that to say this, there may be better CPUs out there, they may be faster and do X and Y faster, but for me it's about price to performance, and the amd fx processors are a great deal especially if you already have a motherboard for it. Get a 6300, or a 8320, or a 8350 they're all good. Just see what kind of overclocks people are getting on that board, and see if it's possible!

If you have more money to spend, then go the intel route and buy a haswell i5 or i7.

It really comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

Edit: I just looked and you can overclock decently on your board, so I would really say that getting the fx would be a great upgrade for you! Just make sure your psu is adequate, as they can suck a lot of power under full load, and invest in good cooling!

Hope you find what you need! And if you can get an 8150 for really cheap, get it. If not buy the 6300, 8320, or 8350

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.