Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
One of the best blocks on the market is still the EK, performance wise, if you don't mind their crap customer service and questionable machining. I really like the Heatkiller and Kryos blocks though.

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
The top 5:
EK Supreme HF
Kryos
Rasa
Koolance 370
Heatkiller 3.0

From everything I've seen the EK, Koolance, and Kryos are the top 3. The Rasa and Heatkiller are also amazing options and will perform right there within 1C which is honestly negligible when you have so many other variables like mount, TIM application, etc. The block that I usually recommend is the XSPC Rasa based off of the price. To get the same performance out of a $50 block that you would from the other blocks listed which are all right around $80 is a great deal. I don't usually recommend the Heatkiller even though it's a great block is because the block itself is $80 and then you need to by the backplate to get a nice solid mount which is an extra $10 to get that great performance.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke41;14180188
for 200$ you can get 2 CPU blocks but the top thermal performing blocks are
Kryos HF
KL 370
EK HF
http://skinneelabs.com/2011-cpublock-compilation/2/
Too bad they left a few key blocks out that still perform great like the Rasa. The Rasa and EK block perform right up next to each other. One thing I don't like about these studies is how much they adjust the scales to make the difference look larger then it really is. For example the top 5 all perform within .59C which won't be noticeable and will change depending on the mount and other variables.

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Also if the block that is in the picture is not the EK Supreme HF. As it says it is the V1 and is not the newest block out by EK. The EK Supreme HF is definitely a different block and performs better then that one. This is the EK Supreme HF that I am referring too.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VW_TDI_02
View Post

For example the top 5 all perform within .59C which won't be noticeable and will change depending on the mount and other variables.

Yea true. That amount of variance falls under negligible and the differences boils down to the other factors, flow, cost, and aesthetics.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Before reading this please know that is my own personal opinion from my own research and experience. Most of the blocks out there perform the same. The difference is usually at most 2 degrees Celsius. However there are other things to consider such as flow and aesthetics. Regarding flow observe this example the Swiftech Apogee XT Rev. 2 cools at roughly the same temperature as the EK HF Supreme, however what makes the EK block better than the Swiftech block is their flow rates. The Apogee XT is a much more restrictive block than the EK Supreme HF. So in my opinion when choosing a waterblock go with the one with a flow rate suitable for your loop as well as what you think looks best.

P.S. All EK nickel plated products have been defective recently (Link )http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articl eid=85&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01returnid=17

http://www.dazmode.com/_Reviews/CPU2010/CPU2010_P9.htm

Have fun watercooling

·
Registered
85 Posts
Guys, it's not just the reviewed thermal performance that counts. The things that set some blocks apart from others are their effect on flow rates.

In this manner, the EK HF can't be beat. The Heatkiller 3.0 is also a good option that doesn't restrict flow too much as is the Koolance 370 which as I recall is of slightly higher restriction than the CPU 360 but in the same general grouping as the EK and Heatkiller. The Kryos is pretty restrictive, as is the Swiftech options. I'd stay away from those even if you are running a CPU only loop. The machining on the base is crap, though the outside aesthetics might be nice... it's restrictive without need and not as good as everyone makes out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.