70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My specs are:
4x GTX Titan Xs
Intel i7 5960x (Stock speeds)
2x Black Ice 360GTX Nemesis Rads
2x Black Ice 240GTX Nemesis Rads
EK Waterblocks for CPU and GPUs

I built this computer back in November. Everything was working fine and the temps were great. Recently, I had to move, so I took apart the whole thing and just put it together. The problem that I'm running into is that the top GPUs are running hotter than the rest. I also ran into this problem the first time I built it, but realized that the problem was that air was getting stuck at the top of the first GPU. I solved that by slowly opening the stop fitting and letting the air seep out, then closed it when a droplet of water started to stream out. That fixed all of my issues back then. Now, whenever I try to repeat the procedure, it doesn't seem to fix anything. When the GPUs are idle, all of the temps are about the same (27-28C), but as soon as I run a Furmark stress test, the top GPU continues to rise. Here are the results I get:

NOTE: SpeedFan is adding 10C to the CPU temps, so the CPU temps are actually 10C lower than what is being reported.

If I don't stop the test, the temperatures for the top two continue to rise. The bottom most one's temperature seems to be about where the others should be.

Here's some pictures of the computer. I know everything isn't in the most ideal position for bleeding, but it's too late for me to change it.

I've tried turning the case on it's side and got some air bubbles to go into the first GPU, then bled the air out, but after repeating this twice, the bubbles have stopped. I've tried to shake the case and everything, but I just can't seem to get any more air out of the GPUs. The CPU seems to be cooled just fine. Whenever I run a Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, I get a max temp of about 50C, which is a couple of degrees higher than what I had before, but still decent. What could be the issue here? Is it the air? How do I get rid of it?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
It's normal to see the GPUs get hotter as the coolant picks up heat. You're cooling 4x hot GPUs in series, the coolant has got a lot of heat dumped into it by the time it reaches the 4th card. Split it into two loops or try increasing the flow rate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7-2nr View Post

It's normal to see the GPUs get hotter as the coolant picks up heat. You're cooling 4x hot GPUs in series, the coolant has got a lot of heat dumped into it by the time it reaches the 4th card. Split it into two loops or try increasing the flow rate.
Like I said, I first built this same exact thing back in November and back then I had all GPUs running in the mid 40s under full load. I'm just having trouble this time for some reason.

In fact, look at this post I made back in November:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halogamer2145 View Post

[...] I also have 4 Titan X's and they run at 40C max under load, so the loop is fine.[...]
How the hell was I getting such low temps!? It's so frustrating. I've spent at least 9 hours on this rebuild and I'm ready to be done with it. So close, yet so far.
mad.gif

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I've never watercooled with a custom loop and I don't want to be rude, but the tube run going from the reservoir to the bottom GPU looks a little restrictive. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the bends might be a little too kinked. Maybe try redoing that part of your tubing?

Clean looking build regardless of issues, hope you work out the problem soon!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....so, I drained the whole thing and refilled it. Still the same thing. The temperatures are even a little bit worse than before.
angrysmiley.gif

Will simply letting it run fix anything? If it will, I could try to run it for a couple of hours during the day tomorrow to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0mini View Post

I've never watercooled with a custom loop and I don't want to be rude, but the tube run going from the reservoir to the bottom GPU looks a little restrictive. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the bends might be a little too kinked. Maybe try redoing that part of your tubing?

Clean looking build regardless of issues, hope you work out the problem soon!
Yeah, the problem is that the base of the pump is circular, so the inlet and outlet come out at different angles. I was really struggling to get that pipe made and was running out of tubing, so I decided to play it safe. It looks a little bit wonky, but it works just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Basic question - you sure all your fans are running okay?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
267 Posts
Contrary to what the second post stated it looks like you have all four gpu''s in parallel. What are you running for a pump? I would say the problem with bleeding is low flow through the four cards. Even if you are at 1 gpm with four cards in parallel each one will only have .25 gpm . I suggest grouping the cards two parallel//series/ two parallel. This will double the flow rate through tha cards. Adding another pump in series if you have only one is suggested as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0mini View Post

Basic question - you sure all your fans are running okay?
tongue.gif
Yes,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

Contrary to what the second post stated it looks like you have all four gpu''s in parallel. What are you running for a pump? I would say the problem with bleeding is low flow through the four cards. Even if you are at 1 gpm with four cards in parallel each one will only have .25 gpm . I suggest grouping the cards two parallel//series/ two parallel. This will double the flow rate through tha cards. Adding another pump in series if you have only one is suggested as well.
It's the EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM pump. It could be the issue, but I had everything running previously just fine.

After trying some more. It seems that everytime I bleed the air out the top GPU, more seems to come and replace it soon after. I'm suspecting that somewhere in one of the fittings, air is coming in and pooling up in the top block. Another thing is that while I thought previously that the CPU temperatures were fine, they don't appear to be anymore. The first time I built this system, it was caused by an air bubble stuck in the CPU waterblock. I solved that by turning it on it's side and lifting the bottom of the case. When I tried to repeat this procedure, I got a few bubbles to come out, but the temps are still not right. I tried to repeat what I did again and cannot get any more bubbles to come out. What I think I will do tomorrow is drain everything, unhook all of the tubing and re seat everything. Although I doubt it (I did the thin line method), the high CPU temps could be caused by a bad thermal paste installation, so I will try to reapply that as well.

It's going to be a very long couple of days...
stun.gif

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Offtopic but... 4 titan x's
redface.gif

may I ask what fps you get on your games
tongue.gif

What monitor(s) do you have

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSfreak View Post

Offtopic but... 4 titan x's
redface.gif

may I ask what fps you get on your games
tongue.gif

What monitor(s) do you have
I have two LG 34UC97 monitors and can run most games at 60fps on max settings 4k. If only I could get it working though...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I never said it would not work the way you have it. With only one D5 and all the gpu in parallel the flow rate is low through the cards. Air will accumulate easier and performance will be decreased. You can drain and refill as many times as you want. It will not improve the flow rate and I do not think anything will change except you will become more frustrated
smile.gif

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

I never said it would not work the way you have it. With only one D5 and all the gpu in parallel the flow rate is low through the cards. Air will accumulate easier and performance will be decreased. You can drain and refill as many times as you want. It will not improve the flow rate and I do not think anything will change except you will become more frustrated
smile.gif
Maybe you're right. Now that I think about it there is a lot of stuff in the loop. It might be why it's such a pain to bleed the damn thing. I could try to change the GPU piping from parallel, but I'm really short on tubing, so I'm not sure if I can right now. Also, I kind of like the way parallel looks
frown.gif

I think I'll try to get it to work the way it is for now and as a last resort I'll order some more piping and redo it.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Quote:

I have two LG 34UC97 monitors and can run most games at 60fps on max settings 4k. If only I could get it working though...
Most games??? With 4 Titan X's ??? I assume it's bad driver/suported and not computing power when you don't have 60fps
tongue.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
A few things that you can try here. Set the case on it side while running only the pump. will help to purge air.
Pump the system backwards (i hope you have some soft tubing laying around) into a bucket and see if you get some debris come out. Those would be my primary diagnosis. Clog in the system. or a large air bubble. Both will cause huge Temperature spikes, and flow problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm really getting tired of this. Today, l drained the loop and took out the Gpu. I inspected all of the link pipes. I saw that two of them were sort of slanted, so I evened that out. I put everything together carefully and refilled the system.

For a second whilebleeding the GPU waterblocks, I thought that I had found the problem. Whenever I would turn the stop fitting on the top GPU, I would use a paper towel in order to prevent the water from getting anywhere. My theory was that the napkin was sucking up the water and air was then being sucked in to fill it's place which would explain th never ending air in the GPUs.

I eagerly plugged everything in, thinking I had solved the issue, but no. It could be possible that the napkins are apart of the problem, but there is something else happening as well. I've also been having trouble bleeding the whole system. I had difficulty the first time I built it as well, but the bubbles came out eventually. This time after a certain point, no matter how much I try, I just can't seem to get the rest of the air out. Perhaps there is a blockage somewhere that is causing a low flow rate? Maybe that is the root of all of my issues.

I didn't rinse the radiators with vinegar or anything before using them? Should I give that a shot? I can also try to open the highest GPU waterblock to see if there is any gunk. This would all be lots of work though, so I'll only do it if I'm confident that it's the issue.

Another thing that has me suspicious is that the first time when I built this, I also had GPU temperature issues which turned out to be air that needed to be bled. However, it was only the top most GPU that was overheating. The other three were running fine. This time, all of the GPU except for the bottom one overheat. The temperatures get progressively worse the higher you go. This doesn't make sense though because if air's the issue, only the top most one should be affected, shouldn't it? Although, if it was a blockage issue, shouldn't I have been experiencing temperature problems when I disassembled it a couple of months ago? This is all so frustrating.

Update: So...... I'm taking a look with a flashlight at this "distilled" water that I bought and there are particles floating around. I'm guessing that it's probably blocked stuff.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:

I'm really getting tired of this. Today, l drained the loop and took out the Gpu. I inspected all of the link pipes. I saw that two of them were sort of slanted, so I evened that out. I put everything together carefully and refilled the system.

For a second whilebleeding the GPU waterblocks, I thought that I had found the problem. Whenever I would turn the stop fitting on the top GPU, I would use a paper towel in order to prevent the water from getting anywhere. My theory was that the napkin was sucking up the water and air was then being sucked in to fill it's place which would explain th never ending air in the GPUs.

I eagerly plugged everything in, thinking I had solved the issue, but no. It could be possible that the napkins are apart of the problem, but there is something else happening as well. I've also been having trouble bleeding the whole system. I had difficulty the first time I built it as well, but the bubbles came out eventually. This time after a certain point, no matter how much I try, I just can't seem to get the rest of the air out. Perhaps there is a blockage somewhere that is causing a low flow rate? Maybe that is the root of all of my issues.

I didn't rinse the radiators with vinegar or anything before using them? Should I give that a shot? I can also try to open the highest GPU waterblock to see if there is any gunk. This would all be lots of work though, so I'll only do it if I'm confident that it's the issue.

As for the issues arising before, not quite a guarantee. It's like doing an intake manifold job on an older chevy 3.8. take it all apart, and knock stuff around. then put the new gaskets in and start it up, to get carbon that was freed in the surgery stuck in an EGR valve or some crap.

You have an extreme system, with extreme water cooli9ng components. That unfortunately means you will need to maintanin it.

Another thing that has me suspicious is that the first time when I built this, I also had GPU temperature issues which turned out to be air that needed to be bled. However, it was only the top most GPU that was overheating. The other three were running fine. This time, all of the GPU except for the bottom one overheat. The temperatures get progressively worse the higher you go. This doesn't make sense though because if air's the issue, only the top most one should be affected, shouldn't it? Although, if it was a blockage issue, shouldn't I have been experiencing temperature problems when I disassembled it a couple of months ago? This is all so frustrating.

Update: So...... I'm taking a look with a flashlight at this "distilled" water that I bought and there are particles floating around. I'm guessing that it's probably blocked stuff.
What kind of rads??? I know that my Alphacools were seriously filled with building slag ans solder flux. I had been through this once so bad that i had to disassemble every block, and use a razor blade in all the micro channels to get the crap out. Start by taking the very first block in the loop apart, and check thart the channels are clear of debris.

As for the previous build not having the same issue. It may have just been not as bad. When you take everything apart you tend to knock more junk loose. The Napkin is not really gonna cause as much issue here either. As long as you have sufficient flow (clean system) the pressure should push right past that possibility.

Are these 4 GPU's running in all parallel?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKreiger View Post

What kind of rads??? I know that my Alphacools were seriously filled with building slag ans solder flux. I had been through this once so bad that i had to disassemble every block, and use a razor blade in all the micro channels to get the crap out. Start by taking the very first block in the loop apart, and check thart the channels are clear of debris.

As for the previous build not having the same issue. It may have just been not as bad. When you take everything apart you tend to knock more junk loose. The Napkin is not really gonna cause as much issue here either. As long as you have sufficient flow (clean system) the pressure should push right past that possibility.

Are these 4 GPU's running in all parallel?
They are the Black Ice Nemesis Rads. Yes, they are in parallel.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Ok im kind of a noob to watercooling as i just started 2 months ago but im familiar with water cooling in cars.

1. That bottom tube running to the cards looks VERY kinked, idk if thats the picture or if thats how it is but thats some serious kinking going on. That would indeed reduce water flow and water pressure.

The water spends minimal time over each card so its not a parallel issue or a water temp issue. But it does seem weird that starting from ur bottom card all the way to the top each card gains heat. Possibility that the fins have gunk in them but the top card does seem to be the one with the most issues.

·
WaterCooler
3,819 Posts
Quote:

I know this got asked already, but I keep looking at these pics and my eyes keep gravitating to what looks like a pretty restrictive kink in the tube going from the res to your bottom card.

Is it a kink as it looks, or just the way the light is reflecting on the bend?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:

They are the Black Ice Nemesis Rads. Yes, they are in parallel.
I would personally start at the very first water block in the loop. Take it out, and disassemble it. It sounds like the is a blockage. If you find junk in the Micro channels, clean it with a tooth brush, or razor blade if it really tough. hot water and vinegar.

As for the Parallel config. i had 3 GPU's in parallel, and it was a nightmare to get the air out of them. You may want to run series, or partial series.
Top 2 series, single down to the bottom to, parallel the second pair. will keep the flow a little more linear.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts