Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best thermal paste/liquid for a Sandy Bridge CPU (i5-2500k) and a Thermalright TRUE 120?

·
Registered
541 Posts
As5

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Are there any photographs of exactly how much to apply to the CPU? I can never, ever tell if I'm putting too much or too little even though I've read descriptions, etc. (ie. "the size of uncooked rice, etc)

·
Registered
541 Posts
This should be the application method for the second-gen i5's. Double-check the pdf and keep me honest.
smile.gif

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shinetsu X23 get a syringe at Fry's for like 7 bucks...profit. smaller than a pea dead center. No curing like the artic

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Arctic Cooling MX-2 pr MX-3, IC Diamond 7 or 24, CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400, Gelid GC Extreme, Shin-Etsu MicroSi X-23 7783D. Bascially anything BUT AS5 which takes too long to cure, has an overly complicated curing/breakin process, and needs to be replaced every 10 to 12 months. AS5 was fine when it was first released about 8 years ago, but since then a lot of much better TIM has come along that makes it not worth using or even considering. I wouldn't use it on my worst enemy's computer, let alone one of mine.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
View Post

Arctic Cooling MX-2 pr MX-3, IC Diamond 7 or 24, CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400, Gelid GC Extreme, Shin-Etsu MicroSi X-23 7783D. Bascially anything BUT AS5 which takes too long to cure, has an overly complicated curing/breakin process, and needs to be replaced every 10 to 12 months. AS5 was fine when it was first released about 8 years ago, but since then a lot of much better TIM has come along that makes it not worth using or even considering. I wouldn't use it on my worst enemy's computer, let alone one of mine.

You have to state this so many times, but people don't listen.

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NguyenAdam
View Post

You have to state this so many times, but people don't listen.

Looks like you did.

But to some extent I think it's just the comfort factor. Some people have just become so used to using it they don't realize how much better the other stuff is of won't take the time to learn how to apply the new stuff. They are so used to applying AS5 a certain way and a lot of the newer TIM has a different consistency and it can take a bit of work to learn how to work with it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
AS5 is no good compared to the newer top end pastes.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Like Papa Smurf said. Shin Etsu X23-7783D or Indigo Extreme. Then IC Diamond...though I don't care for it because it scratches the heat spreader. Skinny Labs did a test a while back & it was Indigo Extreme, Shin Etsu X23-7783D, Shin Etsu G751, then IC Diamond (7 or 24, I don't recall for sure). That review has been supplanted with another which leaves out the S.E. G-751 & doens't say which I.C. Diamond variant he used.

http://skinneelabs.com/thermal-paste-v1-1/2/

I use the X23-7783D myself. CPU temps are not limiting my oc. My mobo is. :/

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
View Post

Forgot the Indigo Extreme. That's some good stuff as well. I'll have to check out that link.

Yep, I was dying to try it. Crazy PC had it for $7.49 per two mount applications in their going out of business sale. I was going to order 10 of the AM3 versions when my bank cleared my direct deposit. Unfotunately, it was all gone by the time I had clearance. So I got a bunch of X23 instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeles
View Post

I can't wait to try me some indigo xtreme. Dunno if it's compatible with that cooler, though.

As long as it's Intel LGA1366, 1156, 775 or AMD socket AM2 (& prolly 939 to....just not mentioned by Indigo) up. It certainly is. More or less....anything relatively modern

Huh? Crazy PC says acquired by new owners on their site?!?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts