Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is becoming a little ridicolous I just purchased battlefield 3 on account of wanting to test out my gpus ( I dont care for the game that much but the graphics are good i must admit).... You go to install your game then you would expect to be able to play right??? WRONG! No now you need to join ORIGIN beacuse for some reason some bored little children have nothing better to do except go around hacking servers so they can be number 1 at online multiplayer! It makes them feel special and makes them a better person as well,Anyway.....Once you join whatever 3rd party is hosting the game then you need to do 50 million updates that take at least 8 hours why??? Can someone please explain why I schould go out and spend my hard earned money then have to wait 8 hours just to be able to play the damm thing! If this is what pc gaming is becoming then in all honesty I dont want to take part in any of it! Iam willing to buy the game and installl it but I dont wanna have to join 50 other random clubs and do tons of updates just to be able to play the game *(this is just out of hand already) You dont know if these companys are hackers themselves wanting to hijack your system or what not but who here agrees with me??? Whatever happend to poping in the disk and just playing your game??? To many loop-holes to go through just to get a few minutes of satisfaction iam sorry but I dont think its worth it!

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Your fault for buying a game from EA.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it all games from EA that are like that??? Beacuse Honestly I havent noticed this much drama in any other game ive installed so far...Theres a few things here and there but this is just WOOOOOOW!

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
You can tell Origin that you do not want to update and ask it to start the game anyway. I'll go with above poster and call PEBKAC.

Same with GFWL games and most games, really. Steam will not let you start the game if it is updating, although you can disable automatic updates.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Your fault for buying a game from EA.
This is indeed EA's new vision

Battlefield Bad Company 2 was not like this
frown.gif
It was on Steam though....

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is my fault beacuse i wanted to try out my gpus but it dosent state on the box in small print that you need to join 50 clubs etc and do a million updates in order to play! I would call that lying and false advertising,people get sued for stuff like that! As a matter of fact i think they schould be sued some of these companys! They can afford it with the premiums they charge us!

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nz3777 View Post

It is my fault beacuse i wanted to try out my gpus but it dosent state on the box in small print that you need to join 50 clubs etc and do a million updates in order to play! I would call that lying and false advertising,people get sued for stuff like that! As a matter of fact i think they schould be sued some of these companys! They can afford it with the premiums they charge us!
You have to sign up to Origin and do a few updates, not really a big deal if you ask me...
It's the same with pretty much all games nowadays, you either need Origin, Uplay or Steam to play them.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:

It does state on the box that you have to activate it through Origin and that you accept to install the Origin client. If you're going to complain, please do it properly. And again, you don't have to update to play. You do not have to join 50 clubs, only Origin which is not a club, but a game service.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh i could not do the update and be able to play? I tried clicking on the game but all I got was a black screen lol- Heres something else thats funny I have steam too and in general they are ok I would say but yesterday i bought the game CRYSIS part 1- you go to start the game= Black screen nothing else! $20 dollars down the drain and i have nothing to show for it! Nice

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah iam looking at the box right now! It does NOT state i need to do updates that last 8 hours anywere sorry!

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:

Oh i could not do the update and be able to play? I tried clicking on the game but all I got was a black screen lol- Heres something else thats funny I have steam too and in general they are ok I would say but yesterday i bought the game CRYSIS part 1- you go to start the game= Black screen nothing else! $20 dollars down the drain and i have nothing to show for it! Nice
Yes, you could choose not to update.
I have the Steam version of Crysis just as thousands others and it works fine. PEBKAC. Again.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Quote:

Ah iam looking at the box right now! It does NOT state i need to do updates that last 8 hours anywere sorry!
No, you don't have to do updates. But if it STARTS an update, it is too late to stop it. You did not disable updates beforehand and you missed your opportunity. It is hardly unreasonable to have a game lock you out once it starts changing game files in the updating process.

EDIT: As for your Crysis problem; I recently bought a game on steam that didn't work. Instead of going on the net and complaining that I "Wasted" my money, I did some simple troubleshooting and MADE it work. You got what you paid for, but something in your system is preventing it from working.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Quote:

This is becoming a little ridicolous I just purchased battlefield 3 on account of wanting to test out my gpus ( I dont care for the game that much but the graphics are good i must admit).... You go to install your game then you would expect to be able to play right??? WRONG! No now you need to join ORIGIN beacuse for some reason some bored little children have nothing better to do except go around hacking servers so they can be number 1 at online multiplayer! It makes them feel special and makes them a better person as well,Anyway.....Once you join whatever 3rd party is hosting the game then you need to do 50 million updates that take at least 8 hours why??? Can someone please explain why I schould go out and spend my hard earned money then have to wait 8 hours just to be able to play the damm thing! If this is what pc gaming is becoming then in all honesty I dont want to take part in any of it! Iam willing to buy the game and installl it but I dont wanna have to join 50 other random clubs and do tons of updates just to be able to play the game *(this is just out of hand already) You dont know if these companys are hackers themselves wanting to hijack your system or what not but who here agrees with me??? Whatever happend to poping in the disk and just playing your game??? To many loop-holes to go through just to get a few minutes of satisfaction iam sorry but I dont think its worth it!
Battlefield 3 has always run off of ORGIN, and yes orgin is a company that are hackers themselves as once you agree to their terms they get inside your computer and steal information (there was a post on this when Bf3 was first released) Orgin was too much of a hassle for me so i didnt buy Bf3 even thou i really wanted it, wish it would have been released on steam instead of orgin.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weird I cannot get my crysis to play at all! I tried submiting a form to steam about it but i havent heard anything yet.I did notice alot of people have this problem something about crysis part 1 being 32 bits (whatever that means) and if u have 64 bit operating system its not compatable! Again something STEAM said NOTHING about before I bought it-otherwise why would i pay 20 dollars for nothing? To be able to look at the cover picture???? Why are u making me out to be the bad guy or something??? Iam not right for wanting to play the product i payed for? Am i expecting to much??? Whats PEBKAC mean? Sorry iam not fluent in your slang u use chief

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:

Weird I cannot get my crysis to play at all! I tried submiting a form to steam about it but i havent heard anything yet.I did notice alot of people have this problem something about crysis part 1 being 32 bits (whatever that means) and if u have 64 bit operating system its not compatable! Again something STEAM said NOTHING about before I bought it-otherwise why would i pay 20 dollars for nothing? To be able to look at the cover picture???? Why are u making me out to be the bad guy or something??? Iam not right for wanting to play the product i payed for? Am i expecting to much??? Whats PEBKAC mean? Sorry iam not fluent in your slang u use chief
This is incorrect. I play 32-bit Crysis on a 64-bit system. 64-bit systems are backwards compatible.

PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. It means that it's the user's fault.

I make you out to be the bad guy because you've been wrong on every single point you've made in this thread.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honestly I had no clue this much drama was involved! Now iam ranting apparently so I guess we schould just close the conversation beacuse this is far to sensative towards some people! I did try TROUBLE SHOOTING IT- but I figured id ask the PROS that know more about it then I do! ...... This place is changing big time u cant even ask a question without some kind of personal attack wow! Thanks for the advice anyway

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:

For what it's worth you can redeem your copy of Crysis 1 on Origin. You get both the 32bit and 64bit executable without having to perform workarounds /shrug.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts