Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime, without fail, when I turn on my computer the next day, I receive errors on test #5 on MemTest when it reaches 98% on the 186K to 2048M section. Then, I'll let it run through 2 passes and turn off my computer. I leave it off for 20 seconds, turn it back on, and I no longer receive errors on any of the tests.

Now, I've wondered if it was my CPU and I've ran Prime95 with Small FFTs the stress mainly the CPU and it runs forever without any reported problems. I, of course, thought it was the RAM but I've purchased 3 different sets of RAM and they all report errors. Is this a possible motherboard issue or is it a CPU issue? I'm pretty sure that it isn't the RAM as it's highly unlikely for 3 different sets to all report errors. Nothing is overclocked by the way.

And also, like once every 4 hours of usage, a random program will crash.

And, if I turn on the computer without first doing the MemTest routine and go straight to Windows, everything closes moments after being opened and I eventually blue screen to a different error message every time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What voltage and speed is your Ripjaws running at?

You'll probably need atleast 1.6v with 1600mhz.... sometimes the motherboard does not set this correctly...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using ADATA now, but even when I was using the GSKILL, I had it at 1.5 to 1.65 and everything in between and it didn't make a difference. Same with this ADATA too, I've tried every voltage below the maximum and above the minimum

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, and I've tried plugging it straight into the wall too. And I've tried different power supplies and have experienced the same results.

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
I'd look at swapping out that PSU, it is one of the older kingwin units isn't it? Those aren't so good. It may well be the power demands of starting the system up that's leaving dropped voltages around the system. When it's been running a minute or 2, then the startup surges from the hard-drives and fans is gone, leaving enough power to run the machine at that speed.

I've had similar troubles when really pushing this machine, and really think I need more power to keep up with the demands.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by allikat View Post
I'd look at swapping out that PSU, it is one of the older kingwin units isn't it? Those aren't so good. It may well be the power demands of starting the system up that's leaving dropped voltages around the system. When it's been running a minute or 2, then the startup surges from the hard-drives and fans is gone, leaving enough power to run the machine at that speed.

I've had similar troubles when really pushing this machine, and really think I need more power to keep up with the demands.
He would experience vdroop when running Prime95 then wouldn't he?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I forgot to mention that I've bought another PSU thinking that may be the problem, and my symptoms haven't changed. So, I went back to my Kingwin since there is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts