Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting back from system building after taking a 4 year break while having a gaming notebook. My biggest thing is that I'm always looking at my next upgrade.

So, I currently have two 4850s 1GB in Crossfire, is there a single card that I should be looking out for in case I see a deal somewhere? ATI vs Nvidia, makes no difference to me, just trying to figure out where my next upgrade path is for my GPU.

Oh, and I'm looking for something that is going to be a decent upgrade, not a slight upgrade or kind of an upgrade in some applications. Clear cut good upgrade.

I'll continue on with my reading of cards while someone responds, hate being the uninformed person making this post, just figured this would save me a lot of reading and I could focus then on a few cards.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
5870 would satisfie your 24" LCD

And btw., you have a nice display

·
Married people build too
1,494 Posts
Gonna be hard to see a dramatic improvement over 4850 CF since it's comparable to a pretty high-end 5850 already. But yea, the next logical step if you want to move away from dual cards is the 5870. I doubt your case (or budget) could handle something like a 5970, which would be a huge step up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothjk
View Post

Gonna be hard to see a dramatic improvement over 4850 CF since it's comparable to a pretty high-end 5850 already. But yea, the next logical step if you want to move away from dual cards is the 5870. I doubt your case (or budget) could handle something like a 5970, which would be a huge step up.

If that's the case then I may just wait 6 months or so and see what's out on the market then. I don't mind spending $400-$600 on a video card(s) but not when I won't see a large performance increase in games.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
What kind of increases do you think you'll get with any upgrade at all? Do any of your games actually get choppy or laggy with a 4850 xfire?

Did you mean to say you want a large benchmarking increase? People who watch fps meters while playing a game have problems imo. If it's time to upgrade you'll know it, not by what the little numbers in the corner say.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading more in detail about my case it seems that the HD rack is in fact mounted onto the Mobo tray...but that's a 2 minute mod work to detach that. Then I could put my HD in my 5.25 Bay which would then allow me to use the larger 58xx series cards.

I do like my case as it does its job - keeps things cool (even though all my components including my CF'd cards have aftermarket HSF on them) and I like the simplistic clean black look to it.

As for the PSU, wouldn't a single 5870 consume less power then two 4850's? Ideally I'm aware that a higher watt PSU would be best, but it has been my experience in the past that a mid range quality PSU can handle more then what one would think. But maybe that's a thing of the past, I haven't built any systems in the last 3-4 years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I suck, I admit it

I'm running 2 x ATI 4850 512MB not 1GB

Would 1 x 4870 1GB or 1 x 4890 1 GB or 4850 x2 (I think this is a 2GB card?) or either the 4870 1GB/4890 1GB in Crossfire be a decent set up from two 4850 512MBs that would last me for 6 months? - By last I mean be able to play even some of the new games that are coming out in Q1 of 2010 decently.

What I would like to do is find a card, or set of cards that can last me until summer where I can then drop down a large chunk of change for some better cards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts