Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just wondering what is going to be the next big step for ATI and Nvidia as far as graphics cards? I.E. 9800 series to x800 to ________ sometime in the next year or two? Thx for any feedback.

·
Registered
446 Posts
0mfg nvidia gonna come out wit the 3pci-e slot ultra 7k, its gonna get 500fps on doom3 !!!111222

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I don't really know what is next. All I have heard are rumors about an Nvidia 7xxx series and newer ATI cores, but thats about it. They are trying to push SLI and the ATI equivalent, I believe.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95
I don't really know what is next. All I have heard are rumors about an Nvidia 7xxx series and newer ATI cores, but thats about it. They are trying to push SLI and the ATI equivalent, I believe.

i heard next gen cards will use 512mb ram,

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcham
Hell yes, will be so tight

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
512mb would be sweet
Just the only problem is they would need really fast GPU cores and Mem frequencies, and you would need an amazingly good CPU to run those cards anyways. Most cpus now a days can just barely handle the top of the line video cards. We'll need to wait for the dual cores to run those next-gen - 512mb video card

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
For ATi, it's the R520 core, which is probably nothing more than an X800 (R420) with PCIe and SM3.0. You can read some info and my own speculations here

For nVidia, the NV50 is the next big thing, but NV45 and NV41 being PCIe parts of the current ships with bumps in clock speeds. The NV50 is said to have been in production since 2002 but there's not much info availble except that it might have some Unreal3 engine specific optimizations, and Unreal3 being Epic's big new thing that is supposedly to surpass the Doom3 engine in physics and shadowing

But it's like Lando said, for the imediate future, and from here forth I believe, both companies will push their multi GPU processing technologies because we've reached a limit how far we can take the technology for now, much like what's happening in the CPU market, so we're moving to parallelism instead of more clock speed

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnmcgrail

Video cards with dual GPU's? That'll be AWSOME! I just wonder where they'll put the memory chips? lol

I think when he said multi he meant SLI and the ATI counter part.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcham

They already have 1 512mb card for like $1300 or something like that. I'll see if I can find it again and post a link.

EDIT: Hmmm... guess I found a cheaper one...now i gotta find that expensive one: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...ory_Code=VC-3D

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I think when he said multi he meant SLI and the ATI counter part.

That is what I meant, but there are two brands that I know of that throw dual chips on one board, 3DLabs and XGI. 3DLabs makes high end workstation cards like Ludaz is describing in the next post, but they tend to suck pretty loud in gaming because thats not what they're designed for. XGI is a colaboration of companies mostly centered around SiS old line of graphics cards. The cards are good, but still lacking heavily in driver support and as such can barely keep up with a GeForce 4

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob

They got 640MB cards.. to lazy to look

There are actually some 1gig+ video cards. Hell, there are video cards available that have actual memory slots like a mobo for DDR ram. Too bad they are only available for the government. Darn govt. - gets the best of everything and doesnt share.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts