Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for something older. I will be getting som p4's but am not sure if those are good enough. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iampoor
View Post

I am looking for something older. I will be getting som p4's but am not sure if those are good enough. Any ideas?

I'd say get a good release of the E6420 chips and overclock it like mad ... or at least a 1.5ghz jump over stock ...

I use a E6400 @ 3.6ghz for day to day multitrack work ... using Sony Vegas and man does it work well!

When working with audio only, the render times are simply smoking ...

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put what about older say dual p4 xeons or something?

Look at my sig rig and you will understand how poor I am.......

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yeah, but what're you going to pay for dual P4 Xeons? They'll be cheap, but probably in the end for a little more you could just get a C2D and outperform them

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
I think your 3.0 Prescott would be fine for most light recording. I would recommend spending your money on another 512mb of RAM, instead. You'd be very surprised how much more potential that CPU has.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could but Look at this thread and see my Other ideas. I know you point buit my budget is low I cannot get a job and am saving for drums....

http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards...ml#post2370718

This is what would be in combo with it.

I do see your point in new stuff but right now I can only afford old stuff

EDIT: I need more sound card space althugh because my board is microATX

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
what type of recording are you talking about? for just regular mp3 recording I had decent luck with a p3 300mhz cpu. most audio task don't seem to be that intesive.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
if your just recording it as is you should be fine with the cheapest thing you can get. even if you are using some effects you should be fine. I would say worry more about the soundcard to get the input accurate. the cpu isn't going to make much difference for any of this. it's not like video encoding.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
most onboard soundcards will use cpu functions but many decent add on soundcards do the work for you. either way audio isn't that hard on the cpu. if your curious about this find a program to record some audio and apply all the filters you want and all the effects. try to stess it out as much as you can and watch your cpu usage. chances are you won't even get above 10-15%.

as I was saying I used a p3 300mhz compaq computer with an onboard soundcard hooked up to a mic for a cheap accoustic guitar that I had way back in the day and it worked just fine.

·
Tinkerer of Things
1,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iampoor
View Post

But don't most soundcards "pawn"off the CPU? Also i will be having filters...

Get a decent soundcard, and a cheap CPU.

Sound recording doesn't take much.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
umm you'll be fine with your current rig, sound rendering is not that demanding, how are you going to get it on your comp... thats the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
To echo Chipps comments ... I think the CPU you have could work as well with money spent on other more essential items ...

Before this core 2 setup ... I used a P3 Dual 500mhz Xeon for about six years and as long as I was working with just audio ... things were quite snappy and efficient for multitrack recording ...

But, I had some money invested in RAM and a decent SCSI RAID0 array ... which off set the two antiquated Xeons quite nicely ...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm recording and editing music for bands myself, and the CPU isn't all that important. RAM will be the most important part of the recording. It will take up very much memory especially if you are using multiple tracks with digital gates, limiters, compressors, equalizers and all the other (in my eyes) necessities.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts