Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With those 500$ netbook, what's the best EEE PC ?

I want one because its a cheap update compared to my sig rig and i want to play Diablo 2 :LOD and SC:BW etc !! But iheard theres no CD?!?!?

·
Registered
796 Posts
The current line-up of EeePCs aren't even a close upgrade to your old rig. Namely, the onboard graphics has none of the performance capability of your Radeon 9800 and the Atom CPU is closer to a very old Northwood Core Pentium 4. Your Barton core Athlon would still beat the Atom hands down in a race to the finish.

As for playing Diablo 2 and Starcraft, they're both doable on most of the 8.9" and 10" netbooks out on the market today. However, you will find the game stretched horizontally since all of the current netbooks use 1024 x 600 widescreens rather than 4:3 aspect ratio "standard" screens.

There are only two netbooks that have a optical drive: Kohjinsha SX3 (Japan only) and ASUS EeePC 1004DN (not yet available). Normally you'll have to use a USB flash drive and CD images to get stuff installed onto a netbook (if your software came on disk media). Some have spent the extra $100 on a external USB optical drive for their netbooks.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
i'd say the EEE 1000HE.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zomgiwin View Post
for specifically the EEEPC line
the 1000HE by far, not the 1000, nor the 1000H, but the HE.

for netbooks in general
these are more like laptops with an atom
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220386

i want one of those
just ordered a 1000HE for my mom
Sorry but for $700 your better off looking for a regular laptop. Or get a netbook and build a cheap desktop. Cant see spending more then $450.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
I felt the 10" are a little to big so I went with the 901, I got the Linux version however as it has a bigger SSD and bunged windows 7 on it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
hands down, the 1000HE. im pretty sure it can run SC:BW and diablo 2. it can run simcity with no problems whatsoever
I actually have both of those installed and they run fine. I just wish both of those older games supported widescreen resolutions. Otherwise, everything is a bit horizontally stretched.

·
Registered
398 Posts
On the note of game play ability. I tried to install the COD4 demo but it was unable to play do to a lack of gfx. I am sure it would be able to play some of the older games like Acreo stated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know why everyone is going crazy for the 1000HE? Is it cause it's under $400? IMO, It's a little bulky and looks cheap. The only PRO it has in my book is the 8700mAh battery that lasts supposedly "8-9.5 hours". That is very impressive. But if you want to play games, the Asus N10J is definitely your best bet. It has a 9300gs in it that plays COD4 or the games you wanted. Yes, it's a little pricey, but the live cashback is back at 10%. Cheapest on ebay is $669 shipped. $600 shipped for it. The battery lasts a good 5-7 hours too. Good Luck.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Why does the 1000HE have a good fanbase? Price, performance, battery life, 93% keyboard size, just to name a few. If I were to pay $700 for a netbook I may as well go out and get a regular laptop that could easily out perform the N10J. It would have a faster processer, larger screen, more ram, and roughly the same graphics.

** OR **

You can get a netbook such as the 1000HE for around $430 shipped, if that. Use the $270 you saved and build a budget desktop to play COD4 (assuming you have a monitor already). 2 systems for the price of 1 and the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM555 View Post
I don't know why everyone is going crazy for the 1000HE? Is it cause it's under $400? IMO, It's a little bulky and looks cheap. The only PRO it has in my book is the 8700mAh battery that lasts supposedly "8-9.5 hours". That is very impressive. But if you want to play games, the Asus N10J is definitely your best bet. It has a 9300gs in it that plays COD4 or the games you wanted. Yes, it's a little pricey, but the live cashback is back at 10%. Cheapest on ebay is $669 shipped. $600 shipped for it. The battery lasts a good 5-7 hours too. Good Luck.
And why do people keep pushing for the $700+ N10? Some of us who push certain netbook models do so because of price, feature set, long battery life, and portability.

I don't need to play CoD4 on my netbook and I mainly just use it for notes, word processing, some light photoshopping, web design, and on-the-go coding. Gaming-wise, SC and D2 is more than enough since I have a desktop and gaming labs the the university if I want to play more intensive games.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas
View Post

And why do people keep pushing for the $700+ N10? Some of us who push certain netbook models do so because of price, feature set, long battery life, and portability.

I don't need to play CoD4 on my netbook and I mainly just use it for notes, word processing, some light photoshopping, web design, and on-the-go coding. Gaming-wise, SC and D2 is more than enough since I have a desktop and gaming labs the the university if I want to play more intensive games.

Of course everyone has their own opinions. But, the N10 isn't $700+, it's $600 shipped if you know where to look. If he wants to play games his on netbook, then N10J > 1000HE. End of story. Looks way better too, bigger keyboard, fingerprint reader, SICK SICK SICK warranty. The warranty on the N10J alone is worth the difference between 1000HE and N10J in terms of price. GL

·
Registered
398 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM555 View Post
Of course everyone has their own opinions. But, the N10 isn't $700+, it's $600 shipped if you know where to look. If he wants to play games his on netbook, then N10J > 1000HE. End of story. Looks way better too, bigger keyboard, fingerprint reader, SICK SICK SICK warranty. The warranty on the N10J alone is worth the difference between 1000HE and N10J in terms of price. GL
While the warranty for the N10J is good I still do not agree with you. Fingerprint reader? Why the hell would you need that? Are you throwing up a crime scene lab? Bigger keyboard, here we go again. The N10J keyboard and the 1000HE keyboard is the same size. If your comparing the N10J to a non HE model then yes they keyboard would be better. However, the HE model has a different keyboard then all of the other 1000 models. Looks way bigger?!?!?! Where do I even begin here. It is bigger by 2/10ths of an inch. Now is 2/10ths of an inch bigger, the ability to play games on a screen that is 10" (not sure how hard you would have to squint), and a good warrenty are worth the extra $250+ extra then by all means go with a N10J. Oh, not to mention you would need to lug around a external cd-rom drive to run those games you need to have the cd/dvd in to play (unless you get a no-cd crack).

Another thing, the OP asked what was the best Eee. Unless Asus completely through a curve ball the N10J is not a Eee.

To the OP, if you are wanting to play games that are more graphics intense I suggest getting a laptop instead of a netbook. The netbook will be fine for your older games however.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts