Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I'm trying to figure out what I can buy for $350. That is my budget. However, I only need:
  1. The motherboard (Must be ITX form factor)
  2. the CPU (must have video integrated)
  3. The RAM (16Gb minimum)
  4. The CPU cooler
I have everything else. I just need to find the best set of that stuff, that $350 can buy. I'm willing to buy used components, and they can be older gen if that's the best bang for the buck. Also it must be Intel, it can't be AMD. I'm just not an AMD fan, and I will not be buying AMD.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
This sounds like an interesting challenge. Will be curious to see what people come up with.
But first off, can you put a weight to each part? Like, how important are they compared to the others?

Do you need the absolute best CPU possible, so current gen within reasonable pricing, or can you settle for older gen?
Do you need high bandwidth and speed RAM? Do you need the best temps for CPU longevity?

It is $350 USD before tax and shipping?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This sounds like an interesting challenge. Will be curious to see what people come up with.
But first off, can you put a weight to each part? Like, how important are they compared to the others?

Do you need the absolute best CPU possible, so current gen within reasonable pricing, or can you settle for older gen?
Do you need high bandwidth and speed RAM? Do you need the best temps for CPU longevity?

It is $350 USD before tax and shipping?
I'm afraid it will have to be $350 after Tax and shipping. This computer doesn't have to be awesome, as it won't even be playing video games. It's just an internet machine, used for sending emails and watching youtube videos. That kind of thing. So the CPU does need to have the video integrated.

So I guess you could say that there's no particular weight to each part. But I forgot to mention that the motherboard must be ITX or it won't fit in the case. And I will settle for older gen stuff, if it's not too awful old. 3 generations old is probably the limit. Because I do want this machine to be "future proof" for a period of about 6 years from now.

As for the RAM, Medium speed DDR4 would be fine for this build. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. I was thinking the cooler would probably just be one of those low-profile Noctua brand coolers. They cool plenty well when you're not placing a lot of demand on the CPU. Thank you

What is your use case? Are you willing to buy used?
Yes I'm definitely willing to buy used. I just didn't know if that was a good idea right now. Sometimes it is, other times the newer stuff is much better for about the same price.

Sorry I screwed up, it has to be ITX form factor.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I'm afraid it will have to be $350 after Tax and shipping. This computer doesn't have to be awesome, as it won't even be playing video games. It's just an internet machine, used for sending emails and watching youtube videos. That kind of thing. So the CPU does need to have the video integrated.

So I guess you could say that there's no particular weight to each part. But I forgot to mention that the motherboard must be ITX or it won't fit in the case. And I will settle for older gen stuff, if it's not too awful old. 3 generations old is probably the limit. Because I do want this machine to be "future proof" for a period of about 6 years from now.

As for the RAM, Medium speed DDR4 would be fine for this build. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. I was thinking the cooler would probably just be one of those low-profile Noctua brand coolers. They cool plenty well when you're not placing a lot of demand on the CPU. Thank you

Yes I'm definitely willing to buy used. I just didn't know if that was a good idea right now. Sometimes it is, other times the newer stuff is much better for about the same price.

Sorry I screwed up, it has to be ITX form factor.
What is the tax rate in your state?
And how much capacity of RAM do you need?

How does this look for you?
iGPU and CPU cooler are included.

You could upgrade the CPU to a i5-12400 instead, but that pushes the price to $353 before tax.
(These are all with new parts; if you want to go used, you'll have to search yourself...)

·
Rig Advisor
4,544 Posts
I mean LGA 1151 (9 series) seems plausible. Though ITX z390 boards are still outrageously expensive.

CPU - 10400 ($129) - You'll have to see about the cooler, I couldn't tell. https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-104...71221&sprefix=intel+10400,aps,119&sr=8-1&th=1

MOBO - MSI MPG B560i ($149) -

RAM - ($62) - https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...3240011&s=pc&sprefix=ddr4+3600,aps,204&sr=1-3

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about this motherboard?

What is the tax rate in your state?
And how much capacity of RAM do you need?

How does this look for you?
iGPU and CPU cooler are included.

You could upgrade the CPU to a i5-12400 instead, but that pushes the price to $353 before tax.
(These are all with new parts; if you want to go used, you'll have to search yourself...)
The tax rate is 8% in my state. I'll need at 16Gb of RAM.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
How about this motherboard?

The tax rate is 8% in my state. I'll need at 16Gb of RAM.
That combo is pretty good as well. Probably better than the one I linked. Use the RAM in my PCPP list though. Cheapest 16 GB you can find at a decent spec.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That combo is pretty good as well. Probably better than the one I linked. Use the RAM in my PCPP list though. Cheapest 16 GB you can find at a decent spec.
Thank you for the recommendation. I always try to find someone who knows what the best bang for the buck is. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the PCPP list is though. Can I get there from your sig links?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation. I always try to find someone who knows what the best bang for the buck is. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the PCPP list is though. Can I get there from your sig links?
Just a cheap kit that you can run XMP on and not worry about after that. Put the extra change to some other part or a sandwich for lunch :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a cheap kit that you can run XMP on and not worry about after that. Put the extra change to some other part or a sandwich for lunch :)
I ended up going with this board, cause I need this build to be cheap. Got a used one off ebay for about $90 shipped. I know most people here won't like it because it's a low end board. But that's all it needs to be. It will primarily be used as for an internet machine. Maybe once a year it will play a non-demanding video game. I won't even be using the M.2 port. Plain old sata is good enough because it's less expensive for a good 1Tb drive.

Are there any RAM or GPU concerns to be aware of? Limitations perhaps?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ended up going with this board, cause I need this build to be cheap. Got a used one off ebay for about $90 shipped. I know most people here won't like it because it's a low end board. But that's all it needs to be. It will primarily be used as for an internet machine. Maybe once a year it will play a non-demanding video game. I won't even be using the M.2 port. Plain old sata is good enough because it's less expensive for a good 1Tb drive.

Are there any RAM or GPU concerns to be aware of? Limitations perhaps?

Working board, within budget to meet your requirements...what's not to like?

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Thank you

Should I get the fastest DDR4 ram that the board can run? Since I'm buying DDR4 when DDR5 is available.
What cpu are you going with?

11th gen you will probably want to use gear 1 and be limited to 3600 to 3733 range most likely.

10th gen CPU should be able to run mem higher like 4000 to 4400 as a guess.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
10th gen can run faster RAM than 11th gen? That seems backwards.

Here's something else i've noticed: Most of the quad core CPU's they sell aren't really faster than my old i5-3570k. I just couldn't bring myself to build a 10 year old system.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts