Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, maybe my searching skills suck, but I tried searching this site and google for adive on this topic.

Okay, I have an older computer (see sig) that is in need of replacement. Yeah its a very old one. I have replacement parts ready to be ordered, but in order to lesson the financial blow, I am ordered the parts bits at a time. The first being a new harddrive.

My current computer has 2 IDE drives, I'd like to replace one with a SATA drive (WD Black 500GB). Since the drive will be my OS drive in the new build, what is the best way to get it into my current computer? Is there a way for me to install it then transfer all my current OS drive's information to it so that the new SATA drive is now the OS drive?

Then, when I get the rest of the parts, will it be easy to install the SATA drive, with all my information onto it, into the new computer? Will I need to reinstall Windows or just run a fix? Hopefully a reformat is not needed.

Hopefully all this made sense.
I understand what I want, just not sure if I can tell you guys. :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You explained perfectly.

IF the drive is in good working order find a tool such as Norton Ghost .. Or Acronis True image and burn a CD to boot the computer with. From that boot environment you can actually CLONE your other drives to your new drive.

Then turn off the PC , remove the old HD .. and boot the computer up normally using your brand new hard drive!

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
with true image you dont need to made a cd ,you can clone it from inside windows.And some bad news for you,when you build your new rig the best thing you can do is to reformat

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yep, just install your new drive so that all drives are running in the system (you'll need a SATA cable and an empty SATA port on your mobo). Then copy everything over, lots of software for that. WD has a free utility that works just fine. Acronis is also nice. Once everything is copied over you just set the new drive as the boot drive and you are done. You can then unplug your old drives and physically remove them if you like or leave them in place for backup or storage or whatever.

BTW the black 640gb drive has higher platter density and is a fair bit faster than the black 500gb. Probably worth the few extra $$.

good luck!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I had no idea it would be that easy.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanRacer48
View Post

FYI .. To clarify in case you were confused .. you WILL have to reload windows when you swap to a new motherboard.

Will the system tell me to do this? What happens if I put it all together and just boot up? Will I get errors?

I have never built a computer while trying to keep data from an old computer; all mine were just scratch built brand new ones so I am a little leary and nervous when it comes to the data transfers and such.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MobAttack
View Post

Will the system tell me to do this? What happens if I put it all together and just boot up? Will I get errors?

I have never built a computer while trying to keep data from an old computer; all mine were just scratch built brand new ones so I am a little leary and nervous when it comes to the data transfers and such.

What will happen is you wont boot up, it'll just BSOD and restart over and over.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak
View Post

What will happen is you wont boot up, it'll just BSOD and restart over and over.

Most likely it will bsod there is probably a slimto none it would work. id say its probably just a waste or time to clone the new sata to the old ide, unless of course the ide is on its way out.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll just start the new build with the XP CD in drive. From what your saying is I'm pretty sure it wont work seeing as I am going from a nForce2 chipset to a P45

1 - 11 of 11 Posts