Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
An access point is used to plug in to an existing wired connection and give wireless to that area. A wireless router can be thought of as a normal router combined with a access point.

I can explain more later but i have to go to class right now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Diff between Router and AP/Bridge:

A wireless router has multiple wire ports with wireless capability.

An AP/Bridge:

AP capable of connecting two differant networks,thats what the /bridge is for.

An access point is used to add wireless capablitiy to an exsiting wired network. You cant have another ip range though.

Bridge and router are same basically. Router is a multiport bridge. just like a switch is a multiport repeater.

hope that was helpful

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznchowboy650

make sure you get G if ur going to get cuz G has a better range and faster speeds also when your not using it i suggest turning it off because it has high frquency

Greater speed but lower range

·
Registered
192 Posts
You get the same range with G as you do with B. 30m indoors and 120m "line of sight" out doors. The only one with lesser range is A which has 12m indoors and 30m "line of sight" outdoors. Although A is rated the same Max Bandwidth as G, A is actually faster providing 27 Mbs average through-put while G does 7 (when used with B) and 16Mbs with otehr G devices.

I know there is 108Mbs wireless G out there to but thats using a propritary protocol and that can only be used at that speed with other devices from that company (most of the time, and im almost thinking all of that time). And its still thoretical bandwidth.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial

You get the same range with G as you do with B. 30m indoors and 120m "line of sight" out doors. The only one with lesser range is A which has 12m indoors and 30m "line of sight" outdoors. Although A is rated the same Max Bandwidth as G, A is actually faster providing 27 Mbs average through-put while G does 7 (when used with B) and 16Mbs with otehr G devices.

I know there is 108Mbs wireless G out there to but thats using a propritary protocol and that can only be used at that speed with other devices from that company (most of the time, and im almost thinking all of that time). And its still thoretical bandwidth.

Well the range of wireless G is shorter than wireless B but it will drop down to B standard, for the longer distance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Guess that would work for an explanation, good deal, didnt think thats how it worked
. Doesnt really matter though since it WILL have the range of B when your using a B device and have the through-put of G when a G device is in use. So basically no matter what go with G. Most of all its basically future proof.

Thanks for the info gibant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts