Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, this is a thread for those of you who have had some risky experiments with electricity. Post what you did and how old you were when you did it. I'll kick things up with my story.

When I was seven or eight, I accidentally created a portable electric stove that gave me a small blister (it was ****ing hot!). The stove was made using a battery clip, two AA batteries, a magnet, two paperclips, some wire, and a computer fan grill. I might try making an FAQ on it sometime.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw steel wool burn before. It's quite pretty, actually. I've also built the RC car of death. I figured out someway to get the second battery pack I had to also plug into one of my Nikko R/C cars, and let's just say it never really worked again. The other car was dead, so I didn't care. Also, I shocked myself playing with cold cathodes before. I pulled the cathode and the inverter out of an old scanner and had fun with that. I rewired the inverter so it would plug into a PSU I had. Didn't properly connect it, so I got a bit of a shock. Cathode only lit half-way anyhow.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,703 Posts
Lol, the only time I've been shocked in my life was when I was taking apart a dead disposable camera and touched the battery area and got a charge go up my left arm, through my chest and down my right arm, felt like a decently strong kick to the chest, it was so cool, I did it again on purpose
lawl.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,341 Posts
when I was like 4 I stupidly put a plug halfway in and shocked myself repeatingly lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
I dont really have a story, except when I was little I did like bentrinh and shocked myself in outlets.

So... how do you make that stove? lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,144 Posts
Touched a broken plug wire with the engine running. Eeeeek!

Quote:


Originally Posted by Remonster

Lol, the only time I've been shocked in my life was when I was taking apart a dead disposable camera and touched the battery area and got a charge go up my left arm, through my chest and down my right arm, felt like a decently strong kick to the chest, it was so cool, I did it again on purpose
lawl.

Did that too. Felt like someone came up behind me and shook me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,134 Posts
I have had too many shocking experiences to recount them all--but I remember at a very young age taking the 9 volt battery out of my walkie talkie and touching ti to my tongue--several times...in High School I ran a game room at the local pool and sometimes the Pinball machines would screw up--I reached up inside past the coin box and managed to bridge the 110 with my wrist--oh yeah. Another time I was cutting through a piece of romex to eliminate an old flourescent fixture--the light was switched off--but the electrician must have had a hot in there anyway--it blew a chunk out of the linesman pliers I was using and temporarily stopped my heart...another time when I was working on a yacht installing a cleat to hold a washer dryer in place while lying on an aluminum deck I bridged some 220 with my forearm--it stuck my elbow to the deck like glue--I had to roll my body away to break the contact...the electrician later discovered there was a phantom 440 in the neutral due to a bad shorepower connector, so it might have been 440, I'm not sure...and then there was an old wood house from the '20's I lived in for years that had completely reversed wiring--it had been re-wired by an Englishamn who had reversed every wire--the switches and outlets were upside down, faucets were hot for cold--wierd--anyway when it rained you would get a wicked shock when you touched the wood windowsill--tore open the wall at last and found the building had settled onto a wire and an old nail was penetrating one of the wires...

Those are the memorable ones anyway...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,859 Posts
When I was painting mr room, I took the lightswitch cover off of of the wall. I forgot about it, reached back there to turn on the lights, and shocked myself when I thouched the wires
 

·
^^That's my user name^^
Joined
·
9,920 Posts
I couldn't figure out how to turn off my sister's alarm clock once.... so I cut the live wire with school-style scissors... it scared the crap out of me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Ooh god, lets see. Burnt my leg, head, and part of an eyebrow off with a psu i was trying to explode. turned a battery compartment into an red hot heating element (it was kinda cool, until the smoke detector went off). Not related to electricity, but i darted out infront of a car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Was playing hide and seek when i was real small.... I found 2 nails and decided to stick em in the outlet
Pretty interesting if you ask me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Madkat

Ooh god, lets see. Burnt my leg, head, and part of an eyebrow off with a psu i was trying to explode. turned a battery compartment into an red hot heating element (it was kinda cool, until the smoke detector went off). Not related to electricity, but i darted out infront of a car


Lol that is completely random
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,448 Posts
God....where to begin.
At 17,standing on a step ladder, working sound and lights for a rock band i welded a pair of vise grips to a 440 box and got knocked 8ft backwards thru the air till i hit the wall.
Working for the same band, while setting up I hooked into the clubs (new) wiring on the stage and fried 300ft of orange extension cords and blew 8 500watt par lamps. found the wiring had a 208v power leg in the friggin ground wire...lol
Filled the place with smoke instantly and had the fire dept there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,134 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by busa

God....where to begin.
At 17,standing on a step ladder, working sound and lights for a rock band i welded a pair of vise grips to a 440 box and got knocked 8ft backwards thru the air till i hit the wall.
Working for the same band, while setting up I hooked into the clubs (new) wiring on the stage and fried 300ft of orange extension cords and blew 8 500watt par lamps. found the wiring had a 208v power leg in the friggin ground wire...lol
Filled the place with smoke instantly and had the fire dept there.

I remember working with a lighting designer on an outdoor set I had built hanging instruments--I was up on a 7 buck high scaffold with no guywires so I was a little clingy--learned real fast about instant sun tan from those fresnel lenses...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Remonster

Lol, the only time I've been shocked in my life was when I was taking apart a dead disposable camera and touched the battery area and got a charge go up my left arm, through my chest and down my right arm, felt like a decently strong kick to the chest, it was so cool, I did it again on purpose
lawl.

same story here. lol it was the iddle of the night. i threw it across the room and it knocked a picture off the wall. my mom woke up and yelled at me. later that day i soldered two wires to where the flash bulb is and broke the flash bulb. i then shocked my friend in the arm. (big mistake) he turned around and shocked the heck outta me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't do this one, but in my first grade class, there was a second-grader (I grew up in the multi-age and hated it) who would put live ants into the outlets.
 
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Top