Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what is that game port that comes with new mobos used for? You know, that thing that plugs into a pci slot and has a couple usb's on the back, and some other type of connector.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

are you talking about firewire???

I think so, I don't use it, so I am not sure. Is that card just an extra usb device?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

probably just used for your joysticks and stuff like that.

Ahhhh, makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Ya, the game port is basically for just joysticks and gamepads, but who makes gamepads and joysticks for the Game Port anymore? lol

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnmcgrail

Ya, the game port is basically for just joysticks and gamepads, but who makes gamepads and joysticks for the Game Port anymore? lol

I don't know, I just kept wondering why I was getting this thing packaged with my mobos when as Archer said, there are obviously a plethora of usb ports already.

·
Registered
930 Posts
do you have pictures?

heres some identifying points for your so called "game port"
1) does it look like a shorter paralell port?
2)is it colored in the following: orange, brown, purple, black?
3)are there pins on it? or is it a socket?
4)is it longer than a serial port?

if you answered:
1)yes
2)any
3)socket
4)yes

then yes, it is a joystick/midi port

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
To answer all of you,
The game port which was once only included on soundcards was used for connection joysticks, gamepads and other gaming controllers before companies released the same devices with the USB and IEEE 1374 inputs.

I really don't understand why they are included on newer mobos, it jsut seems like a waste of space, but hopefully one day people will stop using those old devices and we will have less useless junk on our mobos.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

To answer all of you,
The game port which was once only included on soundcards was used for connection joysticks, gamepads and other gaming controllers before companies released the same devices with the USB and IEEE 1374 inputs.

I really don't understand why they are included on newer mobos, it jsut seems like a waste of space, but hopefully one day people will stop using those old devices and we will have less useless junk on our mobos.

They are also known as MIDI ports which allows you to hook up a higher end keyboard like YAMAHA, KORG, ETC. people in the music industry still use them
some musicians are very picky and dont often react well to change, so they still use there old keyboards. also some drum machines and synth sequencers use them.
later on they started to call them game ports since it was a simple input device that accepted input quickly and instantly.

Brought to you in part by your OVERCLOCKING AV tech

by the way musicians think they know everything

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, back in the stone ages, before USB and firewire, we used a little 9/15 pin serial for our joysticks...LOL
Some computer still have em, my Dell XPS has 2 as a matter of fact, just goes to show ya how behind they are.

actually, come to think of it, Im sure the MS Sidewinder joystick can connect via serial 9 pin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts