Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so todays consoles are complete trash. And heres why:

When the PS2 first came out, i was so excited to buy one, mostly cuz of GTA3.

But when i got it, roughly 3 months after buying it, it refused to read any disc at all. Even brand new ones.

So lets just say the PS2 didnt live to see the next day.

Then comes the Xbox, my second next-gen console. Everythings fine with it, until i hit the same exact problem. It claims it cannot read any disc, and im lucky if it does.

Now, with the newer Xboxs this problem appears to be fixed and they work just fine. I never had a problem with my old Xbox after installation of the new DVD drive.

And now we are here with the 360, which appears to be following the same exact pattern. I bought my 360 last christmas, it was fine for a few months just as the others and then bam, it cant read a disc.

So tell me, WHAT THE **** IS SO HARD ABOUT MAKING A DVD DRIVE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS? IS THAT TOO MUCH FOR YOU ROCKET SCIENTIST? DO YOU INSIST ON SAVING EVERY PENNY AND PUTTING CHEAP CRAP INTO THESE NEW CONSOLES?

Now lets take a trip back in time. To the Playstation days. I was a huge fan of Playstation, played it all the time. Gran Turismo being my game of choice next to FF7.

I never had one single problem with the original Playstation. Not one. Out of the 7-8 years of owning it, not one problem. The most rock solid console i have ever played on.

And get this, it read my Road Rage 3D game perfectly fine, and that disc was cracked in half!!!!

I mean come on now, its not that difficult. Whats this world coming to?

And this my friends is why i am truly a PC gamer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
bottom line my friend, bottom line. Why do you think they're shipping all those tech support/manufacturing/etc jobs oversea? gouging EVERY cent possible out of the consumer, which goes to the stakeholders. THe're a lot more "significant" competition and the more and more things get sofisticated, the more costs for companies go up and the temptation to cut corners arises.

Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, Xbox360, Wii, PSP, all those consoles are preety strong right now(or in the recent months) and they cost a lot more to make than the mechanical and simple nintendos, ps1s and genesises. think about it, nowadays they come with harddrives, DVD drives, BLUE RAY, HD-DVD, INTERNET support, manageable OS etc...

This is why i stopped console gaming. they're turning into computer stations, that dont quite play pc games or pc applications but that COST as much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,097 Posts
all of your system problems stem from the cd trays and the fans sucking in dust. ive fixed so many ps2/xbox/xbox360's simply by taking them apart and cleaning off the laser lense. the system sucks up dust like a hoover then it gets into the cd/dvd tray and then blam it dosent read disks. i just sold my old ps2 the other day and it was cleaned every couple of months i had it since the day it came out. the origional playstation had a different disk tray. they were pretty damn sturdy they mostly had troubles with the worm gears wearing out and you would have to turn them upside down so the laser would stay on its rails
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do these fans "suck" in dust when they blow out?

In either case, help me understand this logic here:

These Xbox 360 "Standard" DVD drives, now i say standard since i got the cheap package, they can read pretty much any standard CD, CD-R, and i mean even CDs that have been through all weather, these are CDs that have been in the snow, scratched, cracked, and the 360 can read them without a skip.

But you get a hair on your 360 game disc and your ****ed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,097 Posts
well lets see in order to create airflow to cool the inner components there has to be intake holes thats where the dust gets in. the dust then cycles thru the system and gets into the components getting them dirty. if the fan just blew out only and had no way to get fresh air into the console then it would be completely useless. i suggest you do some research before you start complaining and if you ruin lenses so fast i would suggest you do a little dusting and vaccuming around the house or the room that your consoles are in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,607 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by {LSK} Otacon
View Post

How do these fans "suck" in dust when they blow out?

In either case, help me understand this logic here:

These Xbox 360 "Standard" DVD drives, now i say standard since i got the cheap package, they can read pretty much any standard CD, CD-R, and i mean even CDs that have been through all weather, these are CDs that have been in the snow, scratched, cracked, and the 360 can read them without a skip.

But you get a hair on your 360 game disc and your ****ed.

Because DVD's use a LOT smaller laser to read even smaller bits of information on a DVD than a CD. Why do you think they've started using blue lasers? The blue wavelength is smaller than a red wavelength so it can read smaller data.

Think of a CD bit of data as a quarter and a DVD bit of data as a dime. Now pretend a pencil is that piece of hair you used. If the pencil is in front of a quarter, there's still a lot the laser can read whereas if it's in front of the dime, it's REALLY hard to read, causing errors.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe im just getting old lol. But i liked it better when things were much more simple....every thing was more reliable then..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by {LSK} Otacon View Post
Maybe im just getting old lol. But i liked it better when things were much more simple....every thing was more reliable then..
Lol yes you sound old, but I couldn't agree more
Never had a single problem with my snes, It works till this day!

Yet I've owned 3 playstation 2's, its rediculous
There is a show in england called Watchdog, that basically revealed it as a scam, that ps2's were designed to break just after a year to avoid most guaranties.

My 360 has twice destroyed discs simply because It got tilted slightly..

I am not very technology minded, but you can buy flash discs which hold up to 5bg now, wouldn't most games fit on those? if so why arn't companies using these as there far more reliable?

Just my views


Gaz x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,607 Posts
Because they would have to recall all consoles and add the slot for the flash drive or make an adapter. Both of which people wouldn't do. If it costs too much money or time to do, big companies don't do it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by Inferiae
View Post

Lol yes you sound old, but I couldn't agree more
Never had a single problem with my snes, It works till this day!

Yet I've owned 3 playstation 2's, its rediculous
There is a show in england called Watchdog, that basically revealed it as a scam, that ps2's were designed to break just after a year to avoid most guaranties.

My 360 has twice destroyed discs simply because It got tilted slightly..

I am not very technology minded, but you can buy flash discs which hold up to 5bg now, wouldn't most games fit on those? if so why arn't companies using these as there far more reliable?

Just my views


Gaz x


Yea, i think everything pretty much revolves around how much profit they make. No one cares about the customer anymore
.

I will hold onto to my original Playstation forever, and when i get REALLY old, i can tell people, "This is the most stable gaming console you will find, built 50-60years ago and still working without a flaw!" lol.

And yea, i believe they even have 10gb flash disc.

And i believe the reson they didnt use flash is becuz it might be harder to do with gaming purposes. Im not sure, but i think if they were going to use them....they would have with the consoles that just came out, cuz we have had that technology for quite some time now....

It could also be becuz you might not be able to get the same quality out of a flash drive.....since i would think that DVD would be better, and now they have HD DVD, and i think it also streams faster then flash would...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,631 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Deegan
View Post

all of your system problems stem from the cd trays and the fans sucking in dust. ive fixed so many ps2/xbox/xbox360's simply by taking them apart and cleaning off the laser lense. the system sucks up dust like a hoover then it gets into the cd/dvd tray and then blam it dosent read disks. i just sold my old ps2 the other day and it was cleaned every couple of months i had it since the day it came out. the origional playstation had a different disk tray. they were pretty damn sturdy they mostly had troubles with the worm gears wearing out and you would have to turn them upside down so the laser would stay on its rails

Exactly what I was going to say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
i bought a PS2 when it came out and i still use the same one to this day, nothing has gone wrong with it nor does it fail to read disc. But my buddy on the other hand has a 2-3 year old PS2 and it fails to read disc.

As for todays consoles...meh, my xbox360 failed after 13 months of hardcore use. But they sent me a brandnew one (free) and now its silent so am not complaining

Whats funny is that I have my Atari 5200, NES, Sega Genesis, Nintendo64, Gamecube and PS2 all hooked up to my TV and nothing has gone wrong with them yet. they work just fine and i put alot of months into them just like my 360. But why does my 360 fail? Who really knows, maybe companies are making them break on purpose... it makes me sad =0(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Its always about profit, there's no passion or ambition, Consoles these days are more technologically advanced unlike before thus prone to more issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,944 Posts
I had heard that a lot of the 360's were having serious heat issues that warped the boards in such a way that chips were actually disconnecting from the boards. I can't substantiate these rumors, but I think the issue is that the design of the case for the 360 doesn't leave enough room for a proper cooling solution that will allow the console to be used in various climates.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top