Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill need a new mobo cuz i want a 3770k. What i want from the mobo...

-z77
-around $300 (or less)
-capability two have 2 graphics cards running in pcie 3.0 at x16/x16 ??? does this matter?
-atleast be able to support 16 gigs of ram (preferred 32). can support ram at 2800+ MHz
-reliability and warrenty

-Also not very important but id like it to be able to suppot trifire/3 way sli.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would look for either the high end Asus boards (really great support) or the gigabyte high end boards!
Stay away from Assrock they are a new company and had a few friends that had nightmares with there boards.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSKILLA View Post

I would look for either the high end Asus boards (really great support) or the gigabyte high end boards!
Stay away from Assrock they are a new company and had a few friends that had nightmares with there boards.
+1 for that (definitely not a "new" company, although some newer ASRock boards aren't that bad)

I'd put my money on the Asus Z77 Sabertooth (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821). It fits your price range quite well ($240), but its the on-board features that more interesting. This has 2x PCI-E 3.0 slots running at x16/x0 or x8/x8. As for "does it matter" - quite frankly, no. Assuming you're going with a 3rd gen Intel processor, those have the capability to harness the PCI-E 3.0 standard. PCI-E 3.0 double the bandwidth of the 2.0 standard, so you shouldn't have any problem running any card full tilt.

The 3.0 standard running at x8/x8 is the same as the 2.0 standard running at x16/x16. These days, not even the top of the line cards use anywhere near the full bandwidth of the 2.0 standard. In fact, even running a card at x4 on 2.0 slot has very little impact on performance.

TL;DR: PCI-E 3.0 x8/x8 == PCI-E 2.0 x16/x16

As for total memory supported, yes it does go up to 32GB, but the 2800Mhz+ is going to only when you overclock the RAM (someone correct if I'm wrong here). I'm pretty sure the board doesn't support frequencies that high by default. Side-note: This board should be a killer overclocker for both CPU and RAM (why would you need 2800Mhz+ RAM anyway?
tongue.gif
)

As for reliability, I'm sure almost everybody here can vouch of ASUS. I've had nothing but rock solid performance from them for years on end. On top of that, the Sabertooth is supposed to be made for "military grade components", although I'm not sure what that exactly entails. It also does have a 5-year warranty which is quite a bit better than the standard 1 or 2 years that most manufacturers (including ASUS themselves) offer.

And the last thing: The final PCI-E slot is a 2.0 running at x16, so you DO have support for 3-way SLI/CFX

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSKILLA View Post

hope this helps.
i sticked with asus for the last 8 yrs.. yea asus is asus but i do not regret buying my actual board..

"are a new company"

> lol?

"few friends that had nightmares"

> always depends on model/version..

pls be carefull before scaring people with not completely true arguments (;
sure there are wack boards but this brand got better.. i also neither believed that it would be sufficient

why do you need 2800 ram? could you tell us your kinds of demandings pls?

• Rep+
Reactions: WakaFlockaFlam2

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
First of all to get 16x/16x you have to get a Z77 board with a PLX chip on it, and they will run you at least $250+.

Second of all i highly doubt you can run over 2800mhz on any board without a CPU which can do it, most retails will only do up to 2666, and most motherboard makers will only advertise up to that, and say its OC dependent. Then you need to have memory that will do those speeds.

Also memory speed make minor differences, and if you want future proof just look for memory density not speeds. There is a ripjaw-Z kit coming out that supports high memory speeds and is 16GB, like I think it is rated at 2800 if they found enough chips to actually do that, or they would just rate it at 2666 b/c it is hard to find chips to do 2800. I used one of those kits, but it was strictly ES sample kit and it did 3GHz memory and 2800mhz stable with all 4 DIMMs, but it took a lot of CPUs to find one that could do that.

Next the boards with the PLX chip, the top end ones at least aren't released yet. There is the ASUS P8Z77 WS Revo has that chip, and then the G1.Sniper 3 has it too, and i think the asrock z77 extreme 9, and evta Z77 FTW. I think the Maximus 5 Extreme will prob have that chip too, but the Maximus 5 formula hasn't even been released, so god only knows when the extreme will be released.

For 3-way SLI you will need a PLX chip.

The G1.Sniper3 would be my pick, as that should be in retail soon, or the Maximus 5 Extreme whenever that comes out, or an unnamed board whenever that comes out.

BTW running two GPUs at 16x/16x with the PLX will bring you benefits like maybe 2-3% over native 8x/8x, about as much as running your memory at 2800mhz+ opposed to 1600mhz when you talk about practicality of things lol in each case only practical to extreme benchers. IMO just go with a normal Z77 board, aka no PLX. Sabertooth is cool, i like the Z77X-UD5H, but you gotta like the blue to like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts