Overclock.net banner

Whats the "smallest" 240mm AIO?

8K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Sean W. 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm going to be modding a Jonsbo U2 case (Rosewill legacy U2) to fit two 120mm fans in the front and I was looking for a 240mm AIO that I could mount to the front to keep the 8700k cool.

But the two 120mm fans are right above the graphics card with 1 or 2 millimeters of spacing between them, so I need to find a 240mm that doesn't have a tank at the bottom that hangs down below the fans.

Does anyone know of an AIO that is flush with the bottom of the fan its mounted to?

Here is a quick MS paint drawing to show you what I'm talking about. I cant move the fans up anymore because the top of the case is curved.

Heres a good pic of this case with components, to give you an idea of how small this case is

See less See more
#2 ·
240mm radiators are usually above the 270mm mark as that allows for end tanks, to go any shorter than that someone would probably have to design a rad with the end tanks on the side and I don't think anyone has. I think the Magicool G2 slims are among the shortest though at 272mm, and they generally all have protruding end tanks.

Two 120's daisy chained might be a better option as you can have them on the side, just whether the case is wide enough or there would be any fitting conflicts you'd have to check.

#3 ·
I have space at the top for the tanks and tubes, but just no space at the bottom... hmm... 2x 120 rads would mean I have to do a custom loop, was hoping to use a AIO to keep things simple...

#4 ·
Looks like you would need to ditch the HDD and find a smaller PSU as well. Your own real option depends how much space you have above, and just offset the rad from the fans upwards.

Edit: I guess that isn't an actual pic of your setup, small PSU sill applies though.

#7 ·
Thank you for that! It does appear to be the "smallest" AIO... I will look into it more!

You could use something like the Eisbaer but tbh though looking at it I think even two 120mm fans in the front will be a struggle. Looking closer at the case the best you could probably do is one 120mm in the front and another in the rear, even then one might not get away with a rad up front because you might be conflicting with your motherboard.

IMO it's not the ideal case, a thicker 120mm AIO in the back might be the only real option for it. If that isn't enough for your 8700k probably best finding a more roomy ITX case.

I like a challenge... This case is a touch bigger than my bookshelf speakers I use, I'm confident I can put two 120mm fans in the front and a slim 120mm fan in the roof above the SFX psu. I plan on using a 8700k and a Zotac 1080ti mini, 32 gigs ram, 600W SFX PSU and a 1TB ssd... I will also mod the side panel to add a window.

#10 ·
I'd delid the CPU and use the best 140 (or 120 if 140 doesn't fit) instead of the worst 240mm unit you can get.
I've seen decent results from delidded 8700ks in SSF cases.

The stuff in the picture is going to restrict airflow A LOT unless there is about a 3/4" gap between it and the rad. The holes are really far apart compared to most steel mesh, that looks more like a colander.

#11 ·
The picture in the orignal post was just a picture of the case I got off google.

I plan on delidding

EDIT: This post started a new page, be sure to go back and look at the picture I edited into one of my previous posts of my actual case

#12 ·
From the pics it doesn't look like it would work, from where the fans would be to the bottom of mosts rads is about 1cm which you only appear to have a few mm before the bottom would conflict in your intended position, on top of that you only got 9mm of GPU (GPU 211mm - official case clearance 220mm) clearance length so the slimmest rad on the market XSPC TX240 wouldn't even fit in the front either. There's also the top tanks which probably wouldn't fit in the top either. Two 120mm's in the front (sideways) wouldn't work either due to not a lot of depth. And even if you managed to put even a 120mm in the front adding a fan on top of that would cause motherboard/ram conflicts.

While I get you want a challenge it's still the not ideal case for what you want it to do, your only option for that case might be externally. You could drill a couple of passthrough holes for some bulkhead fittings as well as for a wire grommet (for fans) in the back panel and cool it with any radiator you want on a stand outside the case (custom loop obviously). Use something like the eisbaer solo for a combined pump/res/cpu block to save space which would be all you'd need for a simple loop.

#14 · (Edited)
i might just got with a Doctua NH-D15... in addition to adding my 2x 120mm fans in the front. My main goal of any build I do is to make it silent. Perforamance takes a back seat to acoustics.

Here are a couple pictures I found of someone stuffing a Noctua NHD14 in this tiny case

#15 ·
I thought about recommending a big tower cooler but I figured the GPU would have a pretty hard time cooling it's self...something to think about if you want it quiet. It's usually the GPU you hear so the delid and re-pasting the card may go a long way. Adding the tower removes the possibility of a vertical GPU mount if you hear it over the CPU cooler once you get things sorted.

#16 ·
The nice thing about this case it that it has ample ventilation holes at the bottom of the case, so the GPU will have lots it access to fresh air. I think I would also be able to add a slim 15mm thick fan at the bottom of the case "supercharging" the graphics card with fresh air, the case will be on my desk so having an in take from the bottom shouldn't be much of an issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.