Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been looking at Sandy Bridge motherboards (mostly mATX ones) and it seems like they all have 2-4 SATA ports, and they're usually half 3Gb and 6Gb, implying they have an add-in controller. I run 7 drives in my computer, 5 of them tied in various RAID arrays. So what's the deal with having so few ports? It looks like I won't be able to go to sandy bridge without ditching most of my drives....

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
The asus P8P67-M Pro has 6 but I think thats the best your gonna get right now at launch. You might have to wait a couple months for a better matx board to come out.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagle3092;11954838
The asus P8P67-M Pro has 6 but I think thats the best your gonna get right now at launch. You might have to wait a couple months for a better matx board to come out.
That one still has 2 sata 6Gb and 4 sata 3Gb ports, why is that? Are all six on the same controller?

Regardless, that board is sex.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
the P67 PCH supports 4x SATA3Gb/s and 2xSata6Gb/s natively.

Not sure about H67

·
Iconoclast
31,024 Posts
The PCH (in all the 1156/1155 chipsets) is essentially a southbridge.

Intel ditched the northbridge as part of the chipset after S775. Even the X58 isn't a northbridge, it's an IOH (I/O Hub, a fancy name for a QPI to PCI-E bridge).

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Sandy bridge doesn't use a southbridge or at least call it that anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the clarifications guys. Having the controller support 2 sata speeds is wonky as hell considering they could have made them all 6Gb, but that's good to know those of us with heavy RAID aren't left out.

·
Iconoclast
31,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter;11955724
Thanks for the clarifications guys. Having the controller support 2 sata speeds is wonky as hell considering they could have made them all 6Gb, but that's good to know those of us with heavy RAID aren't left out.
Probably decided to implement SATA III at the last minute, or wanted to keep power consumption down.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter;11955724
they wanted to cut costs.

most people don't have more than 2 sata6 drives anyways

1 - 9 of 9 Posts