Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says,

i friend i mine was telling me about upcoming x3 video cards. though it wouldn't surprise me too much it would be news. i can't see it ever happening on a 55nm chip.

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
there was going to be a 3850x3 but asus's design was so complex and expensive, with such little performance gains that it never went out to sale.

perhaps they'll resurrect the idea w/ the 4850, i doubt it tho.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
You can Crossfire a 4850x2 with another 4850 to make it an Tri-fire. But I don't think that Asus card ever made it to market. It was more like just showing off what they could've done.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by awdrifter
View Post

You can Crossfire a 4850x2 with another 4850 to make it an Tri-fire. But I don't think that Asus card ever made it to market. It was more like just showing off what they could've done.

i just dont see the point in a 4850x3 i guess i look at them the same way that i do with the 4850x2 WHY? your already there, may as well just go with a 4870x2. the current 55nm 4870s are dumping soo much heat that an x3 just sounds out of the question to me. maybe with the next dishrink we could see a x3. i really think double stacked cards are they way its going.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
The 4850x2 are dropped to around $370 now, so for people without a Crossfire mobo, it's a great deal. The main thing that's causing the performance difference between the 4850 and 4870 is clock speed, I remember reading a test that at the same clocks the 4870 is only 10% faster on average.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeah there was an article in CPU about this. It was just a experiment and it was a 3870x3, though they said it would go on the market. I guess as Nvidia gets bigger GPU's ATI will stick with more

1 - 10 of 10 Posts