Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never seen so many people so worked up about a 128bit memory bus VGA card. I mean that 128bit interface is a huge bottle neck, I mean does it really perform that well? I would think that even a 4850 would be the better performer.

Anyone got any good bench links they can throw at me, cause I am pretty sure that a 1gb 4850 or 4870 will perform better than a 5770.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I went from a 4890 to 5770CF and there was a pretty big difference.

4890 wasn't much far off from a single card either.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974
View Post

Bench test Shows that the 5770 = 4870.

This. In fact, the MSI Hawk (the best 5770 out) has oc'd enough to edge out the 4890. However, benches that use old drivers still show 4870 slightly better. Newer drivers throws the 5770 past it though.

And test have pretty well shown there isn't a memory bottleneck. I don't have links on me, but there were several threads that showed ocing the core did more than ocing the memory. A memory bottleneck was what everyone though early on, but you don't hear it anymore with people that work with them in real life

Edit: The only thing I occasionally wish I had done is buy a 4890 when both cards were 160$ right after launch. Since one is now 150$, and the other closer to 200$ (each new), there is no comparison, plus it is cheaper to CF a 5770, and they scale better, so it ends pretty equal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Simple. Its currently the best bang for the buck DirectX 11 video card.

This is mainly because it is the only one that is selling for MSRP or below. All the other 5000 series cards are selling for OVER MSRP. I'd say it's crazy, but it isn't... they don't have any competition right now, thanks to NVidia's slow arse.

Wait a month for NVidia to get it in gear, and you might see some price competition, at least at the high end.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
wait a second...

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
lol? payed 320 /w cali tax + free shipping @ black friday for my xfire setup.. can you tell me how i went wrong with that? bang-for-buck with this setup, i would say it was the best gpu pick for me at that time.

xfx double life time warranty, original pcb

oc's very nicely, and stays cool...power bill isn't as high lol

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xquisit View Post

xfx double life time warranty, original pcb

Lucky, I hope someone decides to sell thiers when I go CF. I'd like some lifetime warranty, same maker, and origonal PCB action. Why did they have to cheap out?

·
Registered
266 Posts
The 5770 offers DirecX 11 support, that matters to some people I guess. (Though if you ask me, you'd need a faster card in order to really utilize DX11, at least to the point where it's truly noticeable over DX10, and it's not like any games in the near future are going to REQUIRE it, chances are DX9 will remain an option for years to come on many games, certainly DX10)

But regardless, for like, what is it, $40 more you get the same performance, but DX11 and better Crossfire scaling, I'm sure that's worth it to some people. It might OC better to, but I have nothing to back that up.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had a 4850. My favorite card.

Now I have a 5770. Definitely my favorite card.
It performs a lot better than my 4850.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el-John-o View Post

But regardless, for like, what is it, $40 more you get the same performance, but DX11 and better Crossfire scaling
I'm curious, what is 110$ (40$ less than a cheap 5770 1gb) that performs equal to it? 4870's cost the same, 4890's cost more

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfiteer View Post
I mean that 128bit interface is a huge bottle neck
Bottom of page 7 here aka with some OC'ing the 5770 shows NO bottleneck.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Only reason I bought my 5750 is for the eyefinity support. tbh, I couldn't care less about DX11 in a card this cheap.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post

Lucky, I hope someone decides to sell thiers when I go CF. I'd like some lifetime warranty, same maker, and origonal PCB action. Why did they have to cheap out?
who knows? but i have two originals not registered

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If you don't register with XFX, you only get 2 years of warranty.

·
Car cheaper than computer
3,049 Posts
I think I need to RMA my 4850, hmmm...

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfiteer View Post
Ive never seen so many people so worked up about a 128bit memory bus VGA card. I mean that 128bit interface is a huge bottle neck, I mean does it really perform that well? I would think that even a 4850 would be the better performer.

Anyone got any good bench links they can throw at me, cause I am pretty sure that a 1gb 4850 or 4870 will perform better than a 5770.
dont get one unless your 4890 blows up.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead
View Post

If you don't register with XFX, you only get 2 years of warranty.

What?!

So you're saying... if I don't register now, I won't get a double-life time warranty? Lets say My purchase was during Black Friday last year..would it be too late?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Probably too late, but I don't know XFX warranty terms too well. Give registering a shot. I know you only gte 2 years without it.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
The 5770 is reasonably priced, overclocks great, runs good, and has exceptional crossfire scaling. Sure, the 1GB of memory on a 128-bit interface is gonna be detrimental to memory bandwidth but it's still a good card.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts