Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new soundcard a Asus Xonar DS. I installed it in my computer, started the pc up downloaded and installed the latest drivers and restarted. When windows restarted I changed the default output to the new soundcard, plugged my headphones into the Green jack on the soundcard, but I got no sound. I tried all the other jacks but same problem. So I changed back the default to the onboard and plugged my headphones into that and it still worked fine.

I have tried a different PCI port, disabling the onboard sound in the bios, and I tried a slightly older soundcard driver from Asus but still no luck.

One weird thing I think is that when I plug my headphones into the soundcard I can hear alot of electrical sounding? noise that shouldn't be there. Another odd thing is the microphone input on the card when I'm on windows says its receiving sound with nothing plugged into the card (see pictures below).

How can I fix this??

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
You might try disabling your onboard sound in the BIOS, then installing the card/drivers; I'm not sure if that's the solution though.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
You might try disabling your onboard sound in the BIOS, then installing the card/drivers; I'm not sure if that's the solution though.
Alright I pretty much tried that:
-Uninstall All audio drivers
-restart pc
-disable onboard sound in bios
-re-install soundcard drivers (but I used windows to do it from the drivers folder I downloaded instead of the Asus software)

Now I can hear sound coming from the headphones when they are plugged into the card, but it is extremely quite, the weird electrical noise is louder than the music I am playing.. Like I can JUST barely hear the music. And I have the volume to max on everything.

What is going on here??

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
It sounds like maybe the line in/stereo mix is mixed up with the audio out line some how, this happens a lot on onboard sound.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
It sounds like maybe the line in/stereo mix is mixed up with the audio out line some how, this happens a lot on onboard sound.
hmm. How would I fix that?

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Well you'd have to fiddle with the sound options in whatever sound program the drivers installed for your card. If you want I can try to help you via Teamview/Skype/Vent, otherwise you could post pictures of it. Something may be inadvertently ticked/checked that is rerouting the sound in some way. This happened to my buddy all the time on his onboard sound (Realtek) on his old PC.

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
Have you tried any other sound outputting files from windows, or windows media player instead of foobar?

It's not enough just to configure windows. For foobar to output sound during a new install/switch in sound output you need to go to foobar options, then select that particular output.

It might just be that simple, or it might be the dx in pci-e mode incompatible with your northbridge, that old bug again.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
PM me man - like I said I can try to help via Teamviewer if you want or, put up some screen shots of your sound options. Unless of course you got it fixed!

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone View Post
Have you tried any other sound outputting files from windows, or windows media player instead of foobar?

It's not enough just to configure windows. For foobar to output sound during a new install/switch in sound output you need to go to foobar options, then select that particular output.

It might just be that simple, or it might be the dx in pci-e mode incompatible with your northbridge, that old bug again.
I have tried quite a few different programs, I cant hear any of them.

hmm bug?

Well I tried completely uninstalling all audio drivers, then restarting, then disabling the onboard audio in bios, and only installing the soundcard drivers. But it did not work.

I did get the Digital output on the card working, but the analog outputs and inputs do not work.

When I have my headphones plugged into the analog out port, I can hear the mouse moving.. like electric sounding when I move objects on the screen.

What else can I try to make this card work??

I did read something in the troubleshooting part of the manual that came with my DS saying that if the analog ports arnt working to plug in a 4 pin power connector... But I cant find anywhere to plug it into the card

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
See if the op-amp is pushed in all the way in the socket on the card, If that not installed right you will get no sound thru the green jack. Also the op-amp Might be bad it easy replacement but you might in up start op-amp rolling and cant stop

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
Did you plug in the power?

lol you prolly did.

The hearing of the mouse was seen on nvidia chipset systems that were incompatible with the xonar. If it's correctly installed and powered, and even when manually selected to output from the analog ports, as well as them being not muted, i know this is an ultra long run on sentence, but if those those cases are all satisfied you should rma it.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by admflameberg View Post
See if the op-amp is pushed in all the way in the socket on the card, If that not installed right you will get no sound thru the green jack. Also the op-amp Might be bad it easy replacement but you might in up start op-amp rolling and cant stop
I just checked and it is in all the way

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht View Post
Send me a link to where you bought the card please. Want to take a look at it.
Amazon.com: Pci 7.1 Audio Card 192K/24BIT: Electronics Amazon.com: Pci 7.1 Audio Card 192K/24BIT: Electronics

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone View Post
Did you plug in the power?

lol you prolly did.

The hearing of the mouse was seen on nvidia chipset systems that were incompatible with the xonar. If it's correctly installed and powered, and even when manually selected to output from the analog ports, as well as them being not muted, i know this is an ultra long run on sentence, but if those those cases are all satisfied you should rma it.
Power? I read something in the troubleshooting part of the manual saying that it needed to be powered, but I couldn't find where to plug it in, so I assumed that only the dx was meant to be powered not the ds.

Im on an intel chipset, my sig pc

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
try a different PCI slot if you have any or a different computer too.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitd_kim View Post
try a different PCI slot if you have any or a different computer too.
I wrote in the original post second paragraph that I already tried a different PCI slot.

Unfortunately I do not have another pc that I can test it in.

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
Oh thats funny we're in the same boat. The DS doesn't require power plug it seems. On my auzentech xstudio (pci) there's the same problem: no sound, no mic input, but digi works. I bought it only for the digi carry out so it works out. However the software specifically states when enabling 96k digi out that sound/mic won't work when that mode is on.

I suspect it is similar on the xonar. Maybe you need to check the driver software and see what some of the options are. Maybe turn off a type of digi and manually select the output of the speaker out - similiar to the xonar stx I previously had, where you had to choose which path it would be using to produce sound.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, yeah I dont know. I have tried every setting on the program, tried the settings in windows, read threw the manual. I'm stumped. I just emailed Asus tech support, maybe they know something I don't. If I cant get it working 100% im just gunna return it and get a creative card again, I never had a problem with those.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not sure if someone suggested it already, but if it installed the Xonar Audio Center make sure you change the analog out to reflect what you've got plugged in.

There was no sound coming out of the headphone jack on my STX until I switched it to headphone.

If the Xonar Audio Center didn't install for your card, or you've already done this, just ignore me lol.

LL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts