Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have 8!!! fans going on in this setup. Please tell me what could possibly be making my temps high??

Define r5 case
AMD 8350
280x Vapor-X (2)
Thermaltake toughpower 750W
Asus 990fx Pro Mobo

Right radiator and bottom are intakes
Top and left are exhaust.

Should i put the radiator at the top and use it for exhaust?

My cpu gets to 51 and throttles or shuts off, I have three sensors above the top gpu that make the fans go 90% and they get loud. Gpus get up to 61 degrees under load

Thank you guys for the quick response

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
What temps are high? CPU, GPU, or board?

Can you make a list of the fans in each location and whether they are set as intakes or exhaust? That way we can get an idea of what your airflow is like.

Also, depending on your overclock on your CPU, with your radiator in the front as an intake, all of the incoming air is being heated up. All the hot air from the rad is being dumped into the case.

·
Registered
872 Posts
what temps? cpu? gpu? what are the temps? are you over clocking? whats the difference between the temps you are concerned with and the ambient room temp?

First thing that comes to mind is bad thermal paste/application.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
It looks to me like you have a lot of fans circulating hot air around.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It's super hard to tell looking at the photo on my phone, but it looks like both the front and the rear fans are set as intake. If the rear fan is blowing in, then as the above poster mentioned, you are just blowing hot air around. The radiator and gpus are filling the case with hot air with no way to escape. Again, its hard to tell looking at the pic on my cell phone.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
What program are you using to monitor temps? If you're not using hwinfo64, try it.
61c on the GPUs is a great temperature and a CPU temp of 51c shouldn't be causing thermal throttling.

Are you overclocking? If so, reset BIOS to default and check temps too.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporXKilla View Post

I've updated the original post.

The vrm's next to the socket got crazy hot thats why i put the noctua on it
I saw you said the top and rear are exhausting. It must just be hard to tell by the photo, but they look like they are facing in? As long as you have them facing out, then airflow should be okay. They should be set as exhausts.

The only other thing I would do if it was possible would be to move the radiator to the top and set it to exhaust. That way the front intakes can bring fresh air into the case without being warmed up by the radiator. And all the hot air from the radiator will be exhausted right out of the case. That should help your case temps and vrm temps a lot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright lemme just ask, whats a safe overclock with the h110? and should i use the rad as an exhaust?

Guess you posted as i was typing ^^ is that regular? and wouldnt it make the cpu hotter?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Well, you do have to realize that you are blowing hot air from the radiator inside the case. Also your exhaust fans are working against each other, top and back. I would do 2 top exhaust with the rad at the top. Have two front fans in taking cool air. Remove the bottom and side fans, you are just causing air turbulence.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to switch the rad to an exhaust at the top and let you guys know how that goes.

Another question, since i just got the r5, anyone else bothered at how weak the fans are that come with it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks stealth I wasnt sure if using the rad as an exhaust was as beneficial as using it as intake but it makes sense since thats the design of the case i will do that

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yes, move the rad to the top as exhaust, as I and others have mentioned. I would also remove the extra zip tied fans for the moment. They should not be needed. You can always add them back later if needed.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Quote:

Alright lemme just ask, whats a safe overclock with the h110? and should i use the rad as an exhaust?

Guess you posted as i was typing ^^ is that regular? and wouldnt it make the cpu hotter?
No such thing really as a 'safe' overclock as every chip is different.

As I asked, are you overclocked now?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
What are you using to monitor temps and does that software have a sate temperature shut off that you can set?

Those temps are perfectly fine. Seems like a software/sensor issue or you don't have a stable OC.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really had no clue what the case temps should be because it says like 34 to 40 under load. I'll post a pic after the update setup

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Quote:

I'm over clocked 220 fsb and 21.5 multi

4.730 is the target speed
Reset BIOS to defaults and see if you're still experiencing the same issues.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts