Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
MOD King
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHEA Error Alert Guide (or "How I got out of WHEAville")

This guide is to show you how to assign a task to a WHEA Error event that will display a message (or maybe send you an email) when a WHEA Error occurs.

WHEA Errors are considered a sign by some people that your overclock is unstable. If you are one of these people, I hope you find my guide useful!

I discovered how to do this while learning how to overclock my Intel Ivy Bridge CPU. I don't know if other CPU owners could benefit from this guide. If you do, please let me know.

One more note, I don't know if this works on any other version of Windows than 7. If you have success with this on a different version of Windows, I would like to hear about it.

Let's go!

1. On your Windows Menu, in the Search field type "event log". You should see "View event logs" appear. Click it.

2. Next you will see the Event Viewer appear. We need to get to the section that contacts the WHEA Errors. On the left, under "Event Viewer (Local)" expand "Applications and Services", then "Microsoft", then "Windows", then "Kernel-WHEA", and then finally "Errors".

In the top center frame of the window, you should see your WHEA Errors. Click once to highlight one. Once you have an actual error highlighted, on the right side near the bottom click "Attach Task To This Event..." (You can also right-click the error directly to select "Attach Task To This Event..." as well.)

4. You will now see the "Create a Basic Task Wizard". Here you can change the name of your task, or add a description. I did neither, and just clicked "Next".

5. Click "Next" again.

6. Here select "Display a message", then click "Next"
(NOTE: There is a Send an e-mail" option. I have not tried it. Please feel free to try it and please post back if it works!)

7. Here is where you specify what title and message you want for your alert. After you do that, click "Next".

8. Now finally, click "Finish"

9. Here is an example of what you will see when you encounter your next WHEA Error. I found it very handy!

10. Should you decide you want to edit or delete your task you created: On the Windows Menu in the Search field type "task", then click "Task Scheduler" up top.

11. Now you will see the Task Scheduler. On the left click Event Viewer Tasks to highlight it. Now you should see your task in the top center frame. You can edit your task with the tabs below, or delete the task on the right.

Thanks!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,075 Posts
But WHEA errors aren't a sign of instability. I have had the same installation of Windows 7 since I built my rig on July 11th. Since that time, I overclocked to 4.7 GHz and later on I went to 4.8 GHz. Naturally, I encountered tons of instability during that time as everyone does when they overclock.

A few months ago, someone posted a thread claiming that we don't have to use stability testing software anymore; instead, just look for WHEA errors. So, I decided to see how many I had. I was expecting to find a large amount. Well, I found zero. Yep, no WHEA errors even though I went through all of that instability just to arrive at a stable 4.7 GHz and then later again at 4.8 GHz.

So to me, it's not worth the time to be looking for errors because someone could end up with zero as I did and say that their system is rock-solid stable even though it's not.

• Rep+
Reactions: eXXon

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
When overclocking an Ivy bridge cpu prime can force WHEA errors instead of just crashing prime like it'll do on your sandybridge.

Believe it or not overclocking the two chips is a bit different.

I like to get my stress testing out of the way. I would still stress test my overclock off the bat. WHEA errors are just one more thing to look out for.

Again sandybridge /= ivybridge

I think that this guide is pretty handy. I'm going to try it out.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks rexbinary! I hope people find it useful. +1Rep

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Thanks rexbinary, nice job
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

But WHEA errors aren't a sign of instability. I have had the same installation of Windows 7 since I built my rig on July 11th. Since that time, I overclocked to 4.7 GHz and later on I went to 4.8 GHz. Naturally, I encountered tons of instability during that time as everyone does when they overclock.

A few months ago, someone posted a thread claiming that we don't have to use stability testing software anymore; instead, just look for WHEA errors. So, I decided to see how many I had. I was expecting to find a large amount. Well, I found zero. Yep, no WHEA errors even though I went through all of that instability just to arrive at a stable 4.7 GHz and then later again at 4.8 GHz.

So to me, it's not worth the time to be looking for errors because someone could end up with zero as I did and say that their system is rock-solid stable even though it's not.
its not like, if youre oc isnt stable, you will always see or get whea errors..
its just one other way to see if theres instability somewhere in the system,
trying to set vcore as low as possible, can look stable when running prime
12/18H, and still crash when you open youre browser or play a game,
with or without whea errors..

i personally noticed whea errors when running prime, almost everytime before a worker stopped,
or had a crash..turning vcore up a notch helps most of the time.

Yesterday i was running some tests, and got whea errors, a worker stop in prime,
couldnt figure out why at first, then i realized i was using XMP profile for my ram,
turned it off, and my worker stopping, and the whea errors where gone..

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompsonn View Post

Start worrying when you BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.
havent seen one of those yet, i think i should be happy i dont, right ..lol

@rexbinary

i did a setup like you said in youre post,
it displays a message if theres a whea error,
but if i reboot, it will show up too, if i go and have a look
in eventviewer, theres no whea error there, only the older ones..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post

havent seen one of those yet, i think i should be happy i dont, right ..lol
@rexbinary
i did a setup like you said in youre post,
it displays a message if theres a whea error,
but if i reboot, it will show up too, if i go and have a look
in eventviewer, theres no whea error there, only the older ones..
Can that only mean the event log service delayed on startup and missed it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice guide. I have not seen a single WHEA in my list even if I have had a ton of blue screens. I have my final oc stable @ 4.0ghz on ivy 3770k. My machine has been up and running for over 72hrs now with out a restart or BSOD doing everything from basic tasks to hardcore gaming. I love the guide though and will use it in the future if the need arises.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for this guide. I created the task but what is strange to me (or possibly very good) is I don't have a single error under "kernel WHEA/errors", only under operational I have many "information". Is this normal?

Also I have some errors under Event Viewer (Local)/Custom Views/Administrative Events that I thought are important but obviously I looked at the wrong place? It's explained better here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1305097/whea-logger-event-viewer

comments?

thanks.

·
MOD King
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post

Thanks for this guide. I created the task but what is strange to me (or possibly very good) is I don't have a single error under "kernel WHEA/errors", only under operational I have many "information". Is this normal?
Also I have some errors under Event Viewer (Local)/Custom Views/Administrative Events that I thought are important but obviously I looked at the wrong place? It's explained better here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1305097/whea-logger-event-viewer
comments?
thanks.
You probably haven't encountered any WHEA errors so that's good. The problem is I don't know how to attach a task to an error that hasn't ever occurred. I'll do some digging to see if I can figure it out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbinary View Post

You probably haven't encountered any WHEA errors so that's good. The problem is I don't know how to attach a task to and error that hasn't ever occurred. I'll do some digging to see if I can figure it out.
hm, I don't get it now. So it means that now that I created an event with the empty list I wont be informed of any errors that occur?
So I have to create a separate event for each specific error (that I don't have non) in the list to be informed?
It cannot be done globally so if ANY error in this section occurs I'll be notified?
thanks,

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post

hm, I don't get it now. So it means that now that I created an event with the empty list I wont be informed of any errors that occur?
So I have to create a separate event for each specific error (that I don't have non) in the list to be informed?
It cannot be done globally so if ANY error in this section occurs I'll be notified?
thanks,
I believe that if any errors do occur, then you will be notified, but if you do not have any errors, then nothing will happen, and that he is looking into a way of providing some notification if the second possibility happens.

So if you have set this up and see nothing, it is because all is well and no WHEA errors are occurring - so far - but if any do, you will be notified to know about them.
smile.gif

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCWargamer View Post

I believe that if any errors do occur, then you will be notified, but if you do not have any errors, then nothing will happen, and that he is looking into a way of providing some notification if the second possibility happens.
So if you have set this up and see nothing, it is because all is well and no WHEA errors are occurring - so far - but if any do, you will be notified to know about them.
smile.gif
thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hope this thread is still being monitored as I was wondering this myself. I've been struggling with my OC and now I'm running 12H P95 run (on stock settings) except with a slight voltage increase to my RAM (1.55) and I'm getting WHEA error off the bad. What's this mean and how do I address these issue going forward?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I monitor WHEA errors and they fastrack me to stability much quicker than prime / IBT etc.
They are to me perhaps the most usefull tool an overclocker can have.

The most common error for CPU / Bus errors will be a parity error reported by the CPU core.

The easiest place to find these is to go to start menu and type "Event"
You will see the Event viewer pop up, create a shortcut to this on your desktop.

Open it, open "Windows Logs" then choose "System"
That will give you a list of everything windows has ever done since installation, you can see programs execute / close /system states changing / screensavers / power saving / missing drivers / website address failures/ hard drive read errors... the works.

Now...Right mouse on the same "System" icon and choose "filter."
Now select what you want to see. I use Critical, error and warning.

Once your done, remove the filters and right mouse again and choose "Clear log"

Now its empty, do a reeboot and check your system has no errors on boot in this event section.
If not, clear it again and start stress testing, then review.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,075 Posts
I believe that if checking for WHEA (Windows Hardware Error Architecture) reports were a superior way of checking stability, then we would have been doing it since it was introduced in Vista. I mean, how can that be a superior way of checking system stability when you have Prime95 and Linpack to bring the system to its proverbial knees?

Perhaps what we should be doing is seeing the act of checking for WHEA reports as merely a part of the stability testing process as opposed to replacing stability testing programs.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I believe that if checking for WHEA (Windows Hardware Error Architecture) reports were a superior way of checking stability, then we would have been doing it since it was introduced in Vista. I mean, how can that be a superior way of checking system stability when you have Prime95 and Linpack to bring the system to its proverbial knees?

Perhaps what we should be doing is seeing the act of checking for WHEA reports as merely a part of the stability testing process as opposed to replacing stability testing programs.
You have lost me there mate?
WHEA isnt used to stress the system and nobody is suggesting it is
It is used to tell us what errors the system reported that werent bad enough to actually crash the system in a way the end user would have noticed. (Program exit/BSOD/graphics glitches)

1 - 20 of 142 Posts