Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone has started a thread about this, I couldn't find one. But, I think it is an important topic to talk about. (Also, if there is one please direct me to it)

First, I am by no means a "guru" with overclocking. In fact, I consider myself a novice. With technology advancing and becoming very simplified, overclocking has become quite the cup of tea. (They have a nice GUI in BIOS now? / 10 years ago this was completely unthought or unheard of).

Furthermore, that leads me to the topic of stability and WHEA errors. If I overclock my CPU (My current OC is in my sig) and pass stability tests, BUT get WHEA errors does that mean I am not stable? After running a 12+ hr prime run and a different 14+ hr prime run among multiple intel burn tests and passing with below threshold temps, should I be concerned with WHEA errors?

I have yet to get any sort of freezing with normal use. Never had a BSOD. Just a pesky WHEA-logger warning about Event ID 19. They do not happen every minute. There is no pattern to their occurance, just purely random. (I only got about 5 or so with both prime and intel runs).

Could long term occurance of this ONE WHEA-logger event 19 error harm my cpu and hardware even at my low occurance rate? I have read multiple views on this. No you aren't stable, Yes you are, If you can run prime that long without any problems your good, If you haven't yet had a single crash or BSOD your good.

So what gives? Personally, I am not going to worry about it too much. I believe I am stable. Hell if I have to do a 24hr prime run with full memory allocation I will.

Thoughts, comments, concerns, debate appreciated.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, in my case WHEA warnings appeared during light load when I set -0.060 offset and LLC on level High. My full load and idle voltages were ok, but apparently when doing less stressful tasks CPU hadn't got enough volts. This issue disappeared when I set my LLC to Ultra High and changed offset to -0.030, which resulted in pretty much the same voltage under heavy load (prime, IBT etc) but a higher voltage in idle/light load. Disabling C3,C6 power saving options in BIOS would probably do the trick as well.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezesiak View Post

Well, in my case WHEA warnings appeared during light load when I set -0.060 offset and LLC on level High. My full load and idle voltages were ok, but apparently when doing less stressful tasks CPU hadn't got enough volts. This issue disappeared when I set my LLC to Ultra High and changed offset to -0.030, which resulted in pretty much the same voltage under heavy load (prime, IBT etc) but a higher voltage in idle/light load. Disabling C3,C6 power saving options in BIOS would probably do the trick as well.
Thanks for your thoughts. When you said that, I went and checked. I had C-States enabled. And for some reason had C1E disabled. I know have C1E disabled and C-States enabled. My temps went up a tad tad bit. But, it seems snappier and I haven't gotten a WHEA error since. We will see with my next ratio bump and prime run. Thanks sir!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Can someone please explain wich section in that event viewer to check for this errors cos I'm lost in there (or maybe some link). I do have some errors but I'm not sure if they are connected to hardware / OC.
I'm also 100% stable in prime and other stress tests. never had a single BSOD of similar, even when testing new OC
thumb.gif
I just stopped at 4,5 and pretty low V and I'm happy with this setting.
The only place I could face some problem IMHO is idle, cos the V is quite low there but didn't have any problems as of yet and It's been running like this for the past few months.
cheers.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post

Can someone please explain wich section in that event viewer to check for this errors cos I'm lost in there (or maybe some link). I do have some errors but I'm not sure if they are connected to hardware / OC.
I'm also 100% stable in prime and other stress tests. never had a single BSOD of similar, even when testing new OC
thumb.gif
I just stopped at 4,5 and pretty low V and I'm happy with this setting.
The only place I could face some problem IMHO is idle, cos the V is quite low there but didn't have any problems as of yet and It's been running like this for the past few months.
cheers.
To check for WHEA errors:

Start ---> (In the search bar) Type "Event Viewer" ---> Administative events

Also, I am the same way. However, just because you are 100% stable in prime95 or IBT or LinX doesn't mean you still cannot get WHEA errors. (Especially Event 19). I have never BSOD'd or gotten a freeze. I am have passed two 14 hour prime95 sessions as well as multiple intel burn tests at 4.5ghz. But, I have noticed random WHEA errors.

HOWEVER: I have noticed that those were in the past, and I haven't gotten one since. I am going to run it like it is for a week or two with normal and heavy use and if I see a WHEA error, I may do somemore digging. But, TBH, I don't expect to see one. I think I fixed the problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoyotaco View Post

To check for WHEA errors:
Start ---> (In the search bar) Type "Event Viewer" ---> Administative events
Also, I am the same way. However, just because you are 100% stable in prime95 or IBT or LinX doesn't mean you still cannot get WHEA errors. (Especially Event 19). I have never BSOD'd or gotten a freeze. I am have passed two 14 hour prime95 sessions as well as multiple intel burn tests at 4.5ghz. But, I have noticed random WHEA errors.
HOWEVER: I have noticed that those were in the past, and I haven't gotten one since. I am going to run it like it is for a week or two with normal and heavy use and if I see a WHEA error, I may do somemore digging. But, TBH, I don't expect to see one. I think I fixed the problem.
OK. I checked and this is what I get and they are repeating every day. I have no idea what they mean so If someone can take a look...

what exactly can this mean. I'm I "killing" my hardware slowly if I get these hardware errors that you are talking about or...?
Cos as I say, I never have any problems or BSOD-s so I don't really care If I get WHEA errors IF it's not destroying my hardware.

cheers.

edit: just to add cos I've been readying on these so maybe it's significant. I use Win7 64 bit with TrueCrypt full system encryption on SSD.
my D drive is 2xRAID 0 HDDs wich I'm removing next week and putting another SSD in.
I don't use any Wi-Fi connections/hardware on this desktop machine, only wire.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

OK. I checked and this is what I get and they are repeating every day. I have no idea what they mean so If someone can take a look...

what exactly can this mean. I'm I "killing" my hardware slowly if I get these hardware errors that you are talking about or...?
Cos as I say, I never have any problems or BSOD-s so I don't really care If I get WHEA errors IF it's not destroying my hardware.
cheers.
edit: just to add cos I've been readying on these so maybe it's significant. I use Win7 64 bit with TrueCrypt full system encryption on SSD.
my D drive is 2xRAID 0 HDDs wich I'm removing next week and putting another SSD in.
I don't use any Wi-Fi connections/hardware on this desktop machine, only wire.
This may help"

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/9273d705-709e-43bd-a06b-f02b5f649acb/

You sure are getting a lot of different errors. You are getting a hard drive error too I see. You might want to try and fix some of those.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
whea errors are processing errors that are corrected by cpu before prime sees them. If you are getting whea errors, you may end up with corrupted windows and have to reinstall, as eventually an error will occur that cpu doesnt correct, and if on a critical file, then you will start getting bsods from corrupted software.

If you overclock the straightforward way of just locking multi to for example 47, and manually changing vcore like 1.3 on mine, then run prime 12hrs, and check for whea errors, and if none, then you should not see any whea errors for 24/7 use. For example on mine, I need 1.29 vcore at 4.7ghz to run prime 12 hrs, but with whea errors. At 1.3v, then prime 12hrs without whea errors and never random whea errors.

However if using variable vcore, ie offset/dvid with c states enabled, then even after running prime for 12hrs stable without whea errors, you have to ensure you dont get whea errors during normal use or lighter loads, since your vcore varies.

But running with whea errors is same as running any other unstable overclock. Eventually likely to get corrupted software, then have to reinstall.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by opt33 View Post

whea errors are processing errors that are corrected by cpu before prime sees them. If you are getting whea errors, you may end up with corrupted windows and have to reinstall, as eventually an error will occur that cpu doesnt correct, and if on a critical file, then you will start getting bsods from corrupted software.
If you overclock the straightforward way of just locking multi to for example 47, and manually changing vcore like 1.3 on mine, then run prime 12hrs, and check for whea errors, and if none, then you should not see any whea errors for 24/7 use. For example on mine, I need 1.29 vcore at 4.7ghz to run prime 12 hrs, but with whea errors. At 1.3v, then prime 12hrs without whea errors and never random whea errors.
However if using variable vcore, ie offset/dvid with c states enabled, then even after running prime for 12hrs stable without whea errors, you have to ensure you dont get whea errors during normal use or lighter loads, since your vcore varies.
But running with whea errors is same as running any other unstable overclock. Eventually likely to get corrupted software, then have to reinstall.
Thanks.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
234 Posts
OK, one of the errors is something to do with Wi-Fi which I don't have/use in my desktop so why would I get an error from that?
for the HDDs, I'm getting those out next week and installing another sammy 256gb instead.
I'll take a look at these more but seems to me that some could just be random/normal cos I get them only first time I power the PC.

also I might get some of the errors cos I'm using truecrypt encrypted system and maybe also cos I'm blocking alot of stuff in my firewall. for example I get this error:

"Name resolution for the name teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."
this is either cos I disabled ip6 or cos I denied this connection in firewall, right?

BTW how do you set event so it "tells" you in real time when an error occurs? I know you can do it, just don't fully understand how and I don't want to mess around in there without knowing what exactly I'm doing.

cheers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
@ mrtoyotaco

I've checked that link you provided. there's nothing for me there. my msconfig is working perfectly and I highly doubt I have any virus/trojan/worm,... in my machine. I'm very careful about this staff.

which one of those errors you think is connected to hardware failure and is critical, only error no 10? I want to know so i discard the other non-important ones and start digging for info around critical ones.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

@ mrtoyotaco
I've checked that link you provided. there's nothing for me there. my msconfig is working perfectly and I highly doubt I have any virus/trojan/worm,... in my machine. I'm very careful about this staff.
which one of those errors you think is connected to hardware failure and is critical, only error no 10? I want to know so i discard the other non-important ones and start digging for info around critical ones.
cheers.
I saw one in your screen shot that referred to a NTFS error. That is hard drive related. However, you did see you use trueencrypt. I could come catching an error at boot. May be nothing to worry about. I an error every boot as well for one item. I know what it is. As long as you know what it is and whats causing it, you are fine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoyotaco View Post

I saw one in your screen shot that referred to a NTFS error. That is hard drive related. However, you did see you use trueencrypt. I could come catching an error at boot. May be nothing to worry about. I an error every boot as well for one item. I know what it is. As long as you know what it is and whats causing it, you are fine.
I'll remove my HDDs next week and add SSD and after that I'll start monitoring and reading up on this issues.
I would appriciate If someone could explain how to setup event to give me a notification/ballon message/whatever at the moment the error happens.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

I'll remove my HDDs next week and add SSD and after that I'll start monitoring and reading up on this issues.
I would appriciate If someone could explain how to setup event to give me a notification/ballon message/whatever at the moment the error happens.
thanks.
You know, I am not sure. I will look into it though bro.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts