Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to the high number of WHEA errors clogging the system, running a Ryzen with high FCLK incurs in a performance penalty.
WHEAService will disable the WHEA error reporting; please be careful and check system stability.
System should become stable and smooth once the error sources are disabled.
It's a non-destructive and low risk solution; you can always disable the service or uninstall it and go back to the previous state.

Ver. 1.2.0.0 Release

You can download it form GitHub:

Release v1.2.0.0 Release · mann1x/WHEAService

Use the MSI installer and reboot.

Please check the README on GitHub.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,589 Posts
so basically, it just disables reporting of WHEA events?? just a cosmetic change to event logs?? WHEA errors will slow the system down and sometimes it would crash it, so if I understand it right, its still imminent to get the crashes from time to time with this installed??

·
Overclock the World
2,979 Posts
so basically, it just disables reporting of WHEA events?? just a cosmetic change to event logs?? WHEA errors will slow the system down and sometimes it would crash it, so if I understand it right, its still imminent to get the crashes from time to time with this installed??
This exists to combat WHEA #19 which is IO Related and is triggering 7+ events per second by being a bad PCB design
You can hidw instability with it, logically
It's main goal is to fix a spam of DPC calls created by a wrongly spamming kernel event

As for ryzen, auto correction happens and stability is kept up at any cost
It can be used to fake stuff, but it's goal is a more good minded one
Fixing an ongoing issue with IO & false WindowsHardwareError - Kernel reports
Soo the systen renains responsibile without the continuous spam loop of meaningless errors

It's not only a visual change, but fully disables error logging soo responsiveness is kept up

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed as explained by @Veii the system will be kept responsive, it's not a cosmetic change.

I can't run with WHEA errors flowing at high rate, after a while my system gets slow and unresponsive with explorer stalling etc.

This is Latencymon now at FCLK 2033 MHz on my bloated Windows install running Chrome with about 400 tabs and lots of other stuff:

Note the average interrupt and process latency:

On my testing and benching install I have an average of 6 microseconds process latency with the highest around 70.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't understand it but all i can say is that system is stable (Y-Cruncher, Karhu) and gaming is smooth (BL3, Yakuza).

Im running more sensible settings for now but will try my CL14 settings at some point for sure.

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iam sure its me being stupid, but how do i actually run this ?
On GitHub the download for the MSI installer is in the Releases section.
Sorry, I considered it obvious but it's not of course...

You downloaded the source code, go here:

And download the MSI file.

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Veii

I don't want to speak too early but it's something I'd like others to report.

I know you don't have USB issues; me either not big issues but some small and frequent annoyances (worse with 1.2.0.2):
  • USB Hub, 7 port powered, randomly resetting at Windows startup
  • Fingerprint scanner switching off when reading and brining down half of the aforementioned Hub
  • Logitech G935 Headset not present at boot, distorted audio, muted mic; needing a re-plug
I was expecting a high risk it could become worse running at high FCLK.
Instead didn't have a single issue since the, not even running at 2066 MHz.

Could be that USB is actually working better than FCLK 1900?

I'd be surprised...
But if someone had similar small sporadic issues and is noticing an improvement please let me know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If I turn it up too high, I'm still getting WHEA errors after installing. I thought maybe I did it wrong so I was going to read the readme, but I dont see it. Edit: and it's not so high that it causes instability. I'm running a few stress tests and it's doing fine. But still getting WHEA errors.

·
Registered
588 Posts
@Veii

I don't want to speak too early but it's something I'd like others to report.

I know you don't have USB issues; me either not big issues but some small and frequent annoyances (worse with 1.2.0.2):
  • USB Hub, 7 port powered, randomly resetting at Windows startup
  • Fingerprint scanner switching off when reading and brining down half of the aforementioned Hub
  • Logitech G935 Headset not present at boot, distorted audio, muted mic; needing a re-plug
I was expecting a high risk it could become worse running at high FCLK.
Instead didn't have a single issue since the, not even running at 2066 MHz.

Could be that USB is actually working better than FCLK 1900?

I'd be surprised...
But if someone had similar small sporadic issues and is noticing an improvement please let me know.
I will observe USB soundcard disconnects the next days (at least didnt have one this morning after boot up)

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I turn it up too high, I'm still getting WHEA errors after installing. I thought maybe I did it wrong so I was going to read the readme, but I dont see it. Edit: and it's not so high that it causes instability. I'm running a few stress tests and it's doing fine. But still getting WHEA errors.
You could have an issue with the IOD not able to run at high FCLK.
Can you post the general and details tab contents of the event message?

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Findings so far:
  • Running Sandra all tests, reboot in the middle at 2033 MHz. switched back to 2000 MHz to adjust settings
  • Voltages must be adjusted, it's not easy with AGESA 1.2.x, was much better on ver 1.1.x, performance regressions
    • Had to increase CCD from 1050 to 1080, regained performances
    • Lowered SOC voltage to bare minimum, for me, to 1.14V, testing how low I can go; lost a bit on MT, will try 1.15-1.16V.
    • Very interesting; couldn't pass with aggressive CO counts CoreCycler or OCCT at VSOC 1.75-1.2V; now it's flawless at 1.14V! Have to re-tune probably...
  • Still zero USB issues
  • Gaming is absolutely silk smooth like I don't even recall, WWZ headshots never missing the target
  • For the first time in more than 6 months I could play WWZ without the USB input lagging at some point, have to check with a longer session but it's promising

·
Robotic Chemist
3,893 Posts
So instead of using settings that do not cause errors you simply suppress them?

Why would I want to run settings that generate WHEA errors even if I can ignore them so they don't cause slowdowns as they pile up? This fixes a side effect of the WHEA errors, but they are caused by real hardware errors that no software is going to fix.

Am I am missing something?

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am I am missing something?
Yes, speculation (so far) is that the issue could be the Realtek EFI firmware for the ethernet LAN.
I can't map all these errors to any real fault.
I'm rock solid at 2000 MHz; actually it's more stable than at 1900 MHz.
There are for sure other reasons why you get WHEA and/or can't run above or at 1900 MHz.
But the guess is that the majority has no real issues going up, as expected by AMD.
Only this unmanageable flood of messages that are meaningless.

It's a huge risk and whoever is not ready to pay the consequences should not engage in it.

My advice is to prepare a USB stick with a Windows To Go install and make its own benchmarks and stress testing to understand if it's worth.
Then decide if it's feasible or not for his daily setup.

BTW I'm testing the CO counts again with CoreCycler and I can already set 2-3 counts less on some cores with 0.25V less on VSOC.
Seems this processor was born to run at FCLK 2000 :)

·
Robotic Chemist
3,893 Posts
Yes, speculation (so far) is that the issue could be the Realtek EFI firmware for the ethernet LAN.
I can't map all these errors to any real fault.
Have you tried disabling the Realtek LAN to see if the issues go away without the WHEA suppressor?

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still seeing WHEA even after installing.
Can you see these logs?

Can you also provide a screenshot of the WHEA error event?

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you tried disabling the Realtek LAN to see if the issues go away without the WHEA suppressor?
Just disabling it doesn't work.
We are going to try with a modded BIOS without the EFI module.
Otherwise the LAN card is loaded and enabled at POST to support boot via network etc

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW as you can see from the screenshot above the system will still log some WHEA errors before the service starts and silence them
That's normal behavior; if you get more WHEA after then it's not.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,893 Posts
Otherwise the LAN card is loaded and enabled at POST to support boot via network etc
Is it? You cannot boot via network with the LAN disabled in BIOS, so that seems weird.

What made you think it is something to do with the Realtek LAN?

1 - 20 of 181 Posts