Overclock.net banner

WHEAService, WHEA errors suppressor - unleash Ryzen processor high FCLK without performance penalties

67043 Views 364 Replies 54 Participants Last post by  zGunBLADEz
Doesn't work with Windows 11
Either it's a bug, I have reported it, or Microsoft decided for you that is better you always get WHEA whatever you like it or not (more likely this one)

Due to the high number of WHEA errors clogging the system, running a Ryzen with high FCLK incurs in a performance penalty.
WHEAService will disable the WHEA error reporting; please be careful and check system stability.
System should become stable and smooth once the error sources are disabled.
It's a non-destructive and low risk solution; you can always disable the service or uninstall it and go back to the previous state.

Some settings advice for high FCLK:

Ver. 1.2.0.0 Release

You can download it form GitHub:

Release v1.2.0.0 Release · mann1x/WHEAService

Use the MSI installer and reboot.

Please check the README on GitHub.

A brief explanation of what it does and what doesn't:
  • It will suppress the WHEA errors reporting from the WMI sources
  • It's not going to magically fix instabilities or improve performances
  • It will improve performances when you get thousands of WHEA per minute under load and the Event Log will consume a lot of resources to process them
  • You'll be able to see the other events logged in the System Log not just WHEA errors
  • It's not going to improve performances if the WHEA 19 correctable errors are causing performance degradation
  • Not going to stop the system crashing with WHEA 18 unrecoverable errors
Best and almost only way to check for performance regressions and improvements over lower FCLK is the monero xmr-stak-rx miner:

You need to properly configure it like you really want to mine with it so follow the instructions.

Run it with the command line:

xmr-stak-rx.exe --noTest --noAMD --noNVIDIA

Press 'h' to gather the throughput:

Font Screenshot Rectangle Multimedia Display device

Configure it and run it for at least 5 minute and get the throughput for ALL at (2), the last 60 seconds.
Even better if you can withstand the temperatures is to let it run for 15 minutes and get the result at (3) which is the last 15 minutes.
The 15 minutes result is better for comparison.

These are the results you should get if there's no performance regression:

Product Rectangle Slope Font Line

Enjoy!
341 - 360 of 365 Posts

· Old crazy guy
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Like this with details:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

· Registered
4,359 Posts
Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot
Rectangle Font Screenshot Line Parallel

theres more if failed for example to disable some of the wheas

Error Sources count is 9, current status:

ID: 0 Type: 4 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypePCIe = 0x04, PCI Express Error
ID: 1 Type: 4 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypePCIe = 0x04, PCI Express Error
ID: 2 Type: 4 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypePCIe = 0x04, PCI Express Error
ID: 3 Type: 16 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeDeviceDriver = 0x10, Device Driver Error Source
ID: 4 Type: 0 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeMCE = 0x00, Machine Check Exception
ID: 5 Type: 1 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeCMC = 0x01, Corrected Machine Check
ID: 6 Type: 3 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeNMI = 0x03, Non-Maskable Interrupt
ID: 7 Type: 7 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeBOOT = 0x07, BOOT Error Source
ID: 8 Type: 16 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeDeviceDriver = 0x10, Device Driver Error Source

Successfully disabled WHEA error source type 16 ID=3
Failed to disable WHEA error source type 0 ID=4
Successfully disabled WHEA error source type 1 ID=5
Failed to disable WHEA error source type 3 ID=6
Failed to disable WHEA error source type 7 ID=7

ID: 0 Type: 4 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypePCIe = 0x04, PCI Express Error
ID: 1 Type: 4 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypePCIe = 0x04, PCI Express Error
ID: 2 Type: 4 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypePCIe = 0x04, PCI Express Error
ID: 3 Type: 16 State: Stopped Description: WheaErrSrcTypeDeviceDriver = 0x10, Device Driver Error Source
ID: 4 Type: 0 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeMCE = 0x00, Machine Check Exception
ID: 5 Type: 1 State: Stopped Description: WheaErrSrcTypeCMC = 0x01, Corrected Machine Check
ID: 6 Type: 3 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeNMI = 0x03, Non-Maskable Interrupt
ID: 7 Type: 7 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeBOOT = 0x07, BOOT Error Source
ID: 8 Type: 16 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeDeviceDriver = 0x10, Device Driver Error Source

giga did a number on this mobo lol cant complaint for $150 bucks tho i manage the gen3

· Old crazy guy
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
theres more if failed for example to disable some of the wheas
That's normal, some sources will fail the stop command and will keep running but they'll stop sending errors.

I bet those errors are coming from ID 0 to 2 with Type 0x04.

You need to find in the System logs the WHEA Event logs and post the content of details.
Check what is the ErrorSource and post them one event log for each different source.

I can make a quick binary just for this and we can see if it works.

· Registered
4,359 Posts
it did manage to block some of them tho.... im looping heaven and is around 147k before ufffff lol

ID: 3 Type: 16 State: Stopped Description: WheaErrSrcTypeDeviceDriver = 0x10, Device Driver Error Source
ID: 5 Type: 1 State: Stopped Description: WheaErrSrcTypeCMC = 0x01, Corrected Machine Check

he fail disabling

Error Sources targeted to be disabled:

Type: 16 Description: WheaErrSrcTypeDeviceDriver = 0x10, Device Driver Error Source
Type: 0 Description: WheaErrSrcTypeMCE = 0x00, Machine Check Exception
Type: 1 Description: WheaErrSrcTypeCMC = 0x01, Corrected Machine Check
Type: 3 Description: WheaErrSrcTypeNMI = 0x03, Non-Maskable Interrupt
Type: 7 Description: WheaErrSrcTypeBOOT = 0x07, BOOT Error Source

ID: 3 Type: 16 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeDeviceDriver = 0x10, Device Driver Error Source
ID: 5 Type: 1 State: Started Description: WheaErrSrcTypeCMC = 0x01, Corrected Machine Check

· Old crazy guy
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·

· Registered
4,359 Posts
did that still error

Type: 16 Description: WheaErrSrcTypeDeviceDriver = 0x10, Device Driver Error Source

· Old crazy guy
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
did that still error
Uhm, are you sure you replace it correctly?
It's missing the Type: 4 in the list of Sources targeted to be disabled, seems it's not the version I've sent you.

· Old crazy guy
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·

You should get this message instead:

Type: 4 Description: WheaErrSrcTypePCIe = 0x04, PCI Express Error

· Registered
56 Posts
Not always possible to fix it, that's why there is the suppressor.
Sometimes despite all is working fine you keep getting WHEAs.

You probably need much higher VSOC, around 1.2-1.225V.
Maybe also a little bit more IOD, I was running 1140mV.
Depending on the sample you may also need more CCD, 900mV is low.
Usually at least 950mV, I was using 1050m
Is that ok to run with loads of WHEA errors for daily use? I does not seem to get USB/audio instabilities. Also isn't is unsafe to go above 1.2V on VSOC?

· Old crazy guy
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
Is that ok to run with whea errors due to IF OC?
If they are only WHEA 19 and only because the FCLK speed, yes.
But you need to ensure it, no one else can do it for you.
I've run for months benchmarks and stress tests on a secondary install before using it daily on my main install.

I mean it does not seem to show any instabilities and USB/audio dropouts, but yet to be tested for no performance loss.
This is pretty important.
You need to check with stress tests and benchmarks.

It's also true that a lot of people runs it anyway despite they have a performance loss.
Depends on the use cases.
The performance loss is (or should be, otherwise something is really wrong) only around 90-100% CPU load.
If the main use case is gaming running high FCLK with sync RAM gives a very nice boost.

I don't run at FCLK above 1900 with this 5950X B2; it's unstable and even if it wasn't the performance loss is pretty big.
For my uses cases it's too risky and the reward not enough.

Also, is it really safe to run VSOC above 1.2V because there are a lot of information that it is not.
I've been running it for almost a year and a half without any issue.
Many others as well.
But yes there's not much info around and no definitive or official answer.
From my experience it's still a safe voltage but borderline.
Considering the IOD manufacturing node and average temperature it should be far from being dangerous.
In any case at around 1.25V it's eating so much power from the CPU that it becomes non-sense.

· Registered
4,359 Posts
so i uninstall the service as i used the installer....
i dl the portable which i replace it with the files you gave me and i got the following

Service does not exist. Going to install now

'InstallUtil' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Installation Completed!

Press any key to continue . . .

it doesnt install the WHEAservice

· Old crazy guy
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
so i uninstall the service as i used the installer....
i dl the portable which i replace it with the files you gave me and i got the following

Service does not exist. Going to install now
Ah no, you need to use the installer.
Then copy the content (actually just the .exe is fine) into the "\Program Files (x86)\WHEAService" folder and start again the service

· Registered
4,359 Posts
oh wow what sorcery is this??? we getting there
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Auto part Metal

this is the new log

Type: 4 Description: WheaErrSrcTypePCIe = 0x04, PCI Express Error

Successfully disabled WHEA error source type 4 ID=0

ID: 0 Type: 4 State: Stopped Description: WheaErrSrcTypePCIe = 0x04, PCI Express Error

· Old crazy guy
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
oh wow what sorcery is this??? we getting there
Oh yeah :p

I see a bug there, ID 8, 1 and 2 sources are not disabled.
I probably considered there's only one source per type, while there can be multiple.
I'll prepare a new binary.

· Old crazy guy
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
so i got a few on reboot BUT NO MORE on 3d applications running if i close hwinfo and reopen it no errors on 3d applications..
Very nice!
Yes you will get WHEAs at least till Windows is starting the service and disable the sources.
I'll work anyway on this new version, you never know maybe doing something else they start popping again...

341 - 360 of 365 Posts