Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an ETA or a reasonable approximation for when 128 GB RAM / 16 GB SODIMMs will be released (and desktop motherboards supporting this)?

I am considering upgrading my PC components, however it seems to me that RAM is the only limiting factor for my usage scenario.

I have been happy with my CPU (e6400 c2d) since 2006, and by far the biggest reason to upgrade is for more RAM. My current mobo only supports 8 GB RAM.
So my theory is if I wait for 128 GB, I can buy that and be satisfied for a ton of years to come. (2 GB has served me well for 7 years already).

My usage is a little strange, I suppose; when working on my PhD research I have hundreds of tabs, PDFs, and office documents open. At the moment this comes close to 2 GB. I often have to close other programs that I'm working with in order to prevent paging. Clearly I cannot do video editing work while I have all of this open. I deal only with short HD clips, so my CPU is not much of a burden yet either
smile.gif

Well, I would like to know when 128 GB RAM in desktops will be available, as that is when I will upgrade next!
tongue.gif

Thanks.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
You'll never need that quantity of memory for home use for the next 5 - 10 years.

In the office we run the Prolient DL580's which come as standard 128gb of memory which is upgradable to 2TB, these servers run in at around £25,000 a pop not including disks or the CPU upgrades that you WILL need. Currently the maximum you can fit in a desktop machine is 128GB if I remember rightly, then working with the previous increases in memory over the past 5 years, the likelihood of that increasing dramatically is unlikely.

In 2 - 3 generations you'll see 256gb of memory, that could be the next 5 - 10 years.

The server I was talking about is a host in a VM cluster, it runs between 15 - 20 virtual servers some of those using around 24gb of memory. I think our SQL server which hosts a number of databases uses around 512gb of memory. But that sits on it's own DL580 and then we've virtualised off it's DR box and that's been given around 256gb of memory. Seriously if that's enough for a massive company, it'll be more than enough for any home user. If you want to upgrade, get an upgrade and throw in 32GB of memory, I would be shocked if you got anywhere near using it with just tabs of firefox.... Please tell me you're not using internet explorer.

Comps

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
I think the most amount of memory an intel server can take is 2TB, As for solaris it's not limited and if it is it's going to be in the region of 256TB

·
Registered
845 Posts
I hate to tell you, but 128GB of DDR3 Ram would be an awful waste of cash. DDR4 is rumored to be coming out in the next year or so, and there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO need for that much ram in the forseeable future on a desktop environment. In the VAST majority of cases, 8GB is DRASTIC overkill but is purchased due to price.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Why do people always go to the extreme with computer stuff when they have no need to? So you are fairly "ok" with 2GB of ram, right? So why not fill up your computer to 8GB and see how that works for you? Or even plan out a new computer that starts off with 16GB ram and has room for 32GB? why jump straight to 128GB when that is wholly unnecessary for what it sounds like you do.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antd View Post

Is there an ETA or a reasonable approximation for when 128 GB RAM / 16 GB SODIMMs will be released (and desktop motherboards supporting this)?
Clearly I cannot do video editing work while I have all of this open. I deal only with short HD clips, so my CPU is not much of a burden yet either
smile.gif
For video editing, especially with after effects, you'll need at least a quadcore with 12gb ram.
as for 16gb sticks, they are available as ECC for server boards, but there are some desktop boards that support them such as LGA2011 x79 chipset.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepheroth003 View Post

They have 32Gb modules!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820326202
Holy Christ! I didn't know this.

I should have added when they come down to a reasonable price to the original topic :p
I am not planning to jump on these huge RAM modules just yet.

It's just that for me to go with 8 GB is going to cost around £80 for old DDR2.
Meanwhile for that price I could have purchased 32 GB of DDR3 (but my mobo won't accept it). This is why I'm holding off unil 64 or 128 GB is cheap.

For the record, I'm quite fine currently with 2 GB :p
I only upgrade if my workload requires the upgrade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.