Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me, I took a keyboarding class when I was in second grade (Age 7). They made us practice typing the alphabet and things like The Quick Brown Fox Jumped Over The Lazy Dog with the screen off, or while not being able to touch the backspace key.

By age 8 I was typing faster than my aunt who was an accountant

Share your learning story!

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
in third grade we did this program in the the computer lab where if you wrote the sentence right and didnt make any mistakes that you had to fix while you were typing you got "book points" which you could use to buy stickers and pencils at the student store
it was awesome!

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
When I was young, we had a Windows 98 computer. I was about idk, 7 or 8. We had these little computer games for different grades and learned off of those. Also used computers in school and then ended up getting my own laptop so yeah.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
We didn't learn how to properly type till we were in 7th grade here. Which was a required course.

But we used computers at 4. Ahh good ole' Apples.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not sure, really. Just like walking and talking, I can't specifically remember a point where I was sitting behind a PC and though "How does this work?" or something.

Probably around the same time I learned to read, I guess.

·
Registered
678 Posts
In the womb.

Well, not really, but there have been computers in my house since I was 3 or 4.

I learned to type CORRECTLY in the 4th grade. In keyboarding class with a bunch of old school IBM mechanical keyboards. Every class, it sounded like...
"clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack clack CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK!CLAC K!CLACK!CLACK!CLACK!CLACK!CLACK!CLACK!CLACK!CLACK! CLACK!CLACK!CLACK!CLACK!"
I don't know how we didn't go insane, lol.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I learned to type, and I'm not joking here, from Garry's Mod. I had to be able to send a message very quickly to other players, and since I didn't have a mic at the time I used text chat.

·
Banned
127 Posts
I used to type with my index finger and middle finger of each hand.
With these 4 fingers, I'd type faster than most touch typers, at least the ones around me
I think I finally started using my other fingers in mid-high school
There were classes and all, but I never really did it their way

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLagALot View Post
I used to type with my index finger and middle finger of each hand.
With these 4 fingers, I'd type faster than most touch typers, at least the ones around me
I think I finally started using my other fingers in mid-high school
There were classes and all, but I never really did it their way
This. I still don't touch type "the proper way", I just use my hands around the keyboard.

My default position is WASD

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I actually learned to type on an old manual typewriter (the one where you had to push the lever to move the carraige back to the left and advance the paper one line.) back in the 6th grade.

I didn't get to use an electric typewriter until a few years later, but by that time computers were being integrated into the schools so typing became "keyboarding" back in those days.

The one thing I really don't miss from back in those days... using corrective tape to mask mistakes. Typewriters really sucked if you hit the wrong keys and you had to go back and fix the errors.

·
Banned
2,333 Posts
my typing pretty much evolved on its own around the time i was 11. i just sort of used computers, and got faster and faster at typing. I don't have proper form, but I can still type faster then most people.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
my typing pretty much evolved on its own around the time i was 11. i just sort of used computers, and got faster and faster at typing. I don't have proper form, but I can still type faster then most people.
Was going to say it here. But ditto.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
AOL Instant Messenger ~1998

Was practically still hunt and peck after useless school classes, but learned to type pretty darn fast once instant messaging became popular.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
I started to learn when I was four. My mom was a freelance typist at that point. If someone needed a college paper typed up or a business proposal, she would do it. This was before the computer age so handing in a sheet with white out every five letters was not acceptable. At that point, she typed something like 110wpm and it amazed me so I asked her how she did it. She's still a fast typist but slowed down with age.

She gave me one of her old typewriters and I got pretty good with it. I'm still not a perfect typist. We took typing classes in 7th grade with this crappy WP program that allowed teachers to go in and see where you made mistakes. It was basically a word processor with a keylogger in it. I hated that teacher so much. I would finish the work and then write stuff like, "This class is stupid" and erase it, knowing they could see it.

We also needed to take typing to pass high school so I did that freshman year. I found a previous classes work, put my name on it, printed it out and gave it to the teacher every couple of days. I spent most of that class mastering my freecell skills.

I still can't type perfectly. I use all four fingers on my left hand properly but I mostly use my index finger on my right hand. Sometimes I'll work my middle finger in and use my pinky for enter.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Hmmm, thinking about it, my typing skills really took off when I discovered MSN
Sure, I barely used correct spelling or grammar, but it sure helped me speed up

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAF View Post
This. I still don't touch type "the proper way", I just use my hands around the keyboard.

My default position is WASD

Same here lol

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
My dad has to be the worst keyboardist ever. He uses the hunt and peck "method" and it's terrible. He's been using computers for as long as I have.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
My dad has to be the worst keyboardist ever. He uses the hunt and peck "method" and it's terrible. He's been using computers for as long as I have.
Ugh, my dad's the same
It pains me to even watch him type

1 - 20 of 24 Posts