Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Are you sure it's coming from the GPU? It might just be pulling high load from a single rail or something along those lines causing what's known as coil whine which is relatively normal. If you're positive it's coming from the GPU, a capacitor may be going out, or a screw may be lose, or the fan, etc.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If it's coming from your speakers, it's probably just a ground loop. My headset does it whenever my GPU starts ramping up frames and it's plugged into the front panel jack on my system...

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
It's coil noise. Explanation stolen from wiki cause I can't be bothered
tongue.gif

Coil noise is, as its name suggests, caused by electromagnetic coils. These coils, which may act as inductors or transformers, have a certain resonant frequency when coupled with the rest of the electric circuit, as well as a resonance at which it will tend to physically vibrate.

It's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo2 View Post

It's coil noise. Explanation stolen from wiki cause I can't be bothered
tongue.gif

Coil noise is, as its name suggests, caused by electromagnetic coils. These coils, which may act as inductors or transformers, have a certain resonant frequency when coupled with the rest of the electric circuit, as well as a resonance at which it will tend to physically vibrate.
It's nothing to worry about.
Huh, that is so cool. Did not know about that. I found the sound here and it's EXACTLY what I hear in my headset!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I hope this helps:

I have a pentium 4 (Socket 478), It makes these EXACT sounds when at full load with 71C temp, and if I removed It's fan and heatsink, nothing changes, same temps and same sounds.

However, my laptop (Sig) makes these sounds when I convert a movie at 100% on both cores, and It's working fine.

When my camera returns, I'll post a video Explaining all what I just said.

Try lowering your GPU client usage to 80%, or 50% and see what happens ?

·
!
9,170 Posts
Yep, coil whine. Most important things to know is that it's not folding's fault, it would do that with any other similarly high load, and also that it doesn't mean that your card is about to fail, coils in perfect working condition can whine too.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Cap whine, It's normal.

Sometimes mine does it, sometimes not. It depends on the work unit.

·
Banned
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by juano View Post

Yep, coil whine. Most important things to know is that it's not folding's fault, it would do that with any other similarly high load, and also that it doesn't mean that your card is about to fail, coils in perfect working condition can whine too.
well when under load playing games it doesn't do it. Only when folding

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Games don't require as much performance from the Cuda cores on your graphics card, where as folding puts them straight to 100% load. This will put the card under more stress hence the whine, your power consumption and heat output will be much higher too, which is perfectly normal.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverClocker55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by juano View Post

well when under load playing games it doesn't do it. Only when folding
My 6970 whines in Crysis but not folding, different uses put load on different parts. Might have correlation with how much it loads the GPU.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts