Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My color management settings and ICC profile are exactly the same for all the refresh rates, but yet if I choose 120 or 144Hz, it seems like everything is washed out and the blacks are noticeably lighter and not even dark. Anyone know the issue could be?

·
Facepalm
9,954 Posts
Some panels degrade the contrast/gamma/colors at higher refresh rates while lower (60hz) was usually on target.

The VG248QE was really good at doing that. There were actually different ICC profiles for 60, 100, 120 and 144hz refresh rates I think on tftcentral or pcmonitors.info review of this, since the quality changed so much. The gamma literally went from like 2.3 to 2.17 or something (actually I think it went down to 1.8 just from refresh rate increasing)

My XL2470Z looks almost exactly the same at 60hz vs at 144hz. No different calibration or OSD settings needed at all.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you mean that the VG248QE is better at maintaining colors at higher refresh rates? Because that is what I use and it is ugly at 120 and 144 Hz. Guess I will find those profiles, thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently pcmonitors' ICC profile was what they used for 144Hz. Which is odd because it is entirely washed out for me at 144, but the profile looks great at lower refresh rates.

·
Facepalm
9,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzTheRoof View Post

Did you mean that the VG248QE is better at maintaining colors at higher refresh rates? Because that is what I use and it is ugly at 120 and 144 Hz. Guess I will find those profiles, thanks!
No, the VG gets noticeably worse.
The Benq 2720Z stays almost exactly the same.

VG248's gamma curve changes substantially at 144hz vs 60hz, and colors lose a lot of depth.
2720Z doesn't change gamma at all. Color depth loss is marginal. Maybe ends of white/blacks are affected, but casually it looks not far off from 60hz, pretty nice.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
Yeah what Falkentyne said. Some panels just aren't very good at maintaining the same colors at higher refresh rates. My X-Star DP2710 starts noticeably gamma shifting after about 110hz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts