Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Twitch Streamer
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering when you guys would think that I would want to actually upgrade from my GTX 280s. I have been told they are the equivalent of a gtx 570 minus the DX11.. and I know that 570s are pretty good. So what do you guys think?

·
Banned
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonespwns View Post

I was wondering when you guys would think that I would want to actually upgrade from my GTX 280s. I have been told they are the equivalent of a gtx 570 minus the DX11.. and I know that 570s are pretty good. So what do you guys think?
I think you got lied to, a single GTX280=GTX460 in SLI they are close to a 480 but not quite, they would tie a GTX295 or GTX 560Ti 448core.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Ugh anyway...

I'm in a similar boat as yourself. I've had a hard time accepting the 5xx series fermi performance. My 2 285's still churn out great numbers.

Personally? I'm going to wait to see what this next gen of nvidia cards can do.

My criteria for upgrading - 75% more performance than my 2 285's in a single GPU card under $400. I then will upgrade.
thumb.gif

(and no, amd/ati is not an option for me for a gpu)

·

13,038 Posts
You waited this long, I'd wait a touch more.

Two 280s are like a GTX480/GTX570. If you must upgrade now, go for a 7970. They are beastly.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Just wait till driver/SLI support gets finicky for the games you buy, or just wait till the next generation of consoles. Games aren't getting much more demanding until the next Xbox/Playstation come out, and DX11 won't happen until then too, so unless you come across a game that doesn't play nice with SLI, keep what you have.

Treat yourself and buy something like an SSD, a nice monitor, speakers, or a really nice dinner instead.

·
Twitch Streamer
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Just wait till driver/SLI support gets finicky for the games you buy, or just wait till the next generation of consoles. Games aren't getting much more demanding until the next Xbox/Playstation come out, and DX11 won't happen until then too, so unless you come across a game that doesn't play nice with SLI, keep what you have.
Treat yourself and buy something like an SSD, a nice monitor, speakers, or a really nice dinner instead.
lol a really nice dinner? hmmm 300-400 dollars on a dinner. I think i would buy like the worlds largest pizza or something hahaha.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonespwns View Post

lol a really nice dinner? hmmm 300-400 dollars on a dinner. I think i would buy like the worlds largest pizza or something hahaha.
We've spent more than that at restaurants downtown.

Meh, the food isn't that good, go for the SSD instead. You have Z68, so you could get a small one and use Intel RST / SSD caching.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

solid advice...

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Pretty much in the same boat my self. My crossfired 4890's still play pretty well and judging by the vantage GPU score which is 19444 they are bang on the line with a 480 GTX. So paying 400€ or more for a measly 20-25% speed increase (that would be the 580 GTX) just does not sound like its worth it. If the radeon 7970 come down enough in price perhaps I pick up one of thous depending on when and at what price point the kepler is available.

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
I would wait just a little longer for Kepler.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am so surprised to hear people saying SLI GTX 280 = 1 GTX 570. I think they would do better than that.

If I were in your shoes, wait til DX12.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomtomb View Post

I am so surprised to hear people saying SLI GTX 280 = 1 GTX 570. I think they would do better than that.

If I were in your shoes, wait til DX12.
not equivalent at all.the 570 provides better performance all the way around, uses less electricity and makes less heat. Still I wouldn't upgrade until you can get something in the performance range of the new 7970 or whatever nvidia puts out equivalent to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Well when I had SLI 280s I immediately upgraded to a GTX 480 and saw massive improvements in all games I played at the time, and no more issues with stuttering!! I'd say SLI 280s= a 470 in terms of performance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts