Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just curious, how often do you upgrade your mouse? I have had my mouse (Roccat Kone XTD) for about 4 years now, and it is still going strong. Has mouse technology and performance changed enough which will warrant a new mouse upgrade, or is something like this not even worth it (the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it)?

Just curious, I really like the mouse, but I recently saw that Roccat released the Kone EMP, which is the same thing as the XTD, but uses an optical sensor instead. Would a switch to the new mouse make a significant impact? How big of a role does a different senor make? Are they all within a few percentages of each other when it comes to performance?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I nearly "upgrade" it when ever a new mouse is coming which is interesting for me ... but No, Im not willing to spend ~150€+ for the new Logitech ...
normally I change my mouse 1-4 times in 2 Weeks ( ambi , ergo )
Edit:
the new Sensor in the EMP is much better ( old XTD uses A9800 , new EMP uses a PMW3361 )

·
Registered
78 Posts
When the old one breaks or you're really desperate for something new.

There's so many variables that go in to winning in FPS games that trying to muck around with just one, especially one that can have a noticeable negative impact on other variables, is pointless.

While having a not rubbish mouse is important, most gaming mice from brands you see recommended on Overclock.net aren't rubbish these days. Getting used to a new mouse can take at least weeks and the new one might not be better than the old one. That's weeks you could spend just getting better at the game in general. Furthermore, people are so busy blathering about mouse sens that they don't stop to tell you that learning the optimal hand movements for each situation is actually really important; especially in games where higher sens might be preferable (e.g. AFPS). Change mice and you might have to learn new hand movements.

Pro FPS players are winning competitions with whatever random rubbish their sponsors decide they need to flog. If it's not a big deal for them, it's not a big deal for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
ofc , but if there is a same mouse , one with a A9800 and the other with PMW3361, I would definitvly say go and upgrade it ...
switching often between many different shapes in short time, like me, isnt good for muscle memory ;)

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
When it stops working and I can not get parts to fix it. OR when it is so old that fixing it will just leave me with many other parts that will likely fail soon.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,836 Posts
I used my MX518 for ~10 years before it broke and I replaced it with a terrible M510 wireless. Used that for about a year before I put down money for a G502.

If sensor improvements matter to you or not kind of depends on what you use your PC for I would imagine.

I'm not sure if my mouse upgrade entirely is to blame on my CS:GO rank ... but before I had my G502 I was sitting around GN2 - GN3 in CS:GO and now I bounce around DMG - LE ... so there's that.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it is basically a case of diminishing returns? Once you get to the top 5% of sensors, Anything new comes out is pretty much within the margin of error?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
but a Avago 9800 isnt near to the Top ;) , so yes a change to the shape wise identical newer Version of the Kone will be an improvement .

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,836 Posts
I'm sure some CS:GO pros could tell the difference between the #1 and #2 sensor, but I know I never could.

·
Not a Linux Lobbyist
1,210 Posts
You upgrade when new tech or shapes come out and resolve your previous problems. That said 9800 is pretty crap and should have been avoided even when it was new.

336x sensors are near perfect, while the other sensor has much higher latency. Then you have the SRAV or acceleration: a 5% difference in SRAV is about as high as you can get, way less important than the massive latency the 9800 has, but still you don't get much worse than 5% with SRAV. That said the difference is probably less, as the 5% refers to the early 9500 sensors, but who cares, it's got the highest input lag of all gaming sensors.
Change right away and consider trying a lighter mouse too.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
you all just read the title?
Clearly. I did not read as much as I should. Sorry.

Only problem I had with my laser sensor(old G9) was it was kind of picky on a cheap cloth mousepad. Then again my 502 has so little liftoff that I can not use it on anything but a flat surface(I am not sure this is required). I can not help but wonder if 5-10 years from now they will flip back to laser again.

·

29,532 Posts
I'm sure some CS:GO pros could tell the difference between the #1 and #2 sensor, but I know I never could.
I honestly don't think they can. At that point it's just a question about which sensors quirks feel most natural to the individuals. Lots of CS:GO pros play on PMW3310 which definitely has too low top speed for low sens users.

When you're not satisfied with what you have.
That's how I've been doing it. I've been buying new mice pretty much yearly because sensors have been improving a lot lately. Only since I got my G303 in 2017 have I not felt any need to buy a new mouse other than if my current one breaks.

The first time I gave a crap about sensors I researched my way to a Steelseries Xai because it had the "best" laser sensor (ADNS-9500) at a time where laser sensors were seen as superior. I had really weird aim problems at that time and thought I was getting old, but changing out the mouse was night and day within minutes of a deathmatch game.

My following upgrades has been since then, along with my subjective experience of them:
- CM Storm Spawn (ADNS-3090, way more accurate than ADNS-9500 with my pad)
- Corsair M45 (PMW3310, felt like same accuracy, had more IPS yet still not enough)
- Logitech G402 (AM010, same accuracy, definitely had to use the G402's accelerometer but I felt like it wasn't being very pixel precise)
and finally
- Logitech G303 (PMW3366, same accuracy, so much IPS that I've literally never had the mouse skip on me)

Considering OP's mouse has the ADNS-9500 I'd say absolutely yes to upgrade that one as I've personally gone through 4 new sensors since the ADNS-9500 was considered good by pros.
If you just want more accuracy, you have loads to choose from. If you play on low sensitivity I'd look for anything with a PMW3360/3366 or similar/better. You can get mice with these for as low as $25.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts