Overclock.net banner

When will future pc games release on bluray disks?

328 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  RikkAndrsn 
#1 ·
Games today like upcoming gta V will take 50+GB and that will make it to 6 dual layer dvd's. When will games start to use dual or tri-layer BD's for games to save alot of disks onto one media?

#2 ·
Never because not really many PC's have a blue ray drive
redface.gif

#4 ·
Most people these days dont even use a regular DVD drive, even less a blu ray drive and the ones that does use it for movies. I havent even used a DVD drive in over 5 years atleast, after steam came anything have to do with cd's have been pretty much worthless if you ask me.

Besides if the game company dont have to spend money on printing labels, making plastic boxes for the cd's and all that would that not make the games a bit cheaper and better for the environment?

#5 ·
The days of optical media for the PC are numbered. As more broadband makes it's way into home the use of digital media continues to grow. I have not used an optical drive in a system for YEARS! I have never missed it. I install my OS from Flash, download drivers as needed, my apps are downloaded as are my games.

#6 ·
and then consoles, its going to become more practical and common to download games and they have a connection.

#8 ·
Possibly? But it's unlikely.

Unlike consoles, PC games don't read data from the disc while playing (well, they used to, a LONG time ago); they read everything from the HDD. A blu-ray would just reduce the number of disks required to install the game - but the cost just isn't worth the convenience of a slightly faster install. That, and most people have switched entirely to digital. The only reason I have a blu-ray drive is to watch the few movies I have on blu-ray; all my games are on Steam/Origin/GoG/etc.

#9 ·
Everyone with a PC I know still uses DVD drives, but Im the only one I know with a bluray and it was basically a waste of money - spent money on one and a program to watch movies because you need the license and then all the video stores in the area went under.

I used to buy games on disc up until they stopped shipping the full game on them, you know when you could play stuff without always-online DRM like Origin and Steam. With 2-5gig week one patches for 15gig games these days on top of online DRM I don't see the point anymore.

Besides it's probably still cheaper for them to make 10 DVDs instead of 1 bluray.

#10 ·
It's actually quite likely that Blu Ray will be an intermediary step between full digital downloads and DVDs and CD, but not until they become more common on standard PCs. My guess is that a publisher would favor doing a multi-DVD install at the moment and complement it with downloads just to make it so they don't have to do multiple production runs on different storage mediums. At the moment it's still impractical to download full titles in a lot of places. Even in the US the average 'broadband' connection speed is only 3 megabits per second of download. Obviously metropolitan areas have access to much faster speeds, often in excess of 100 megabits per second, but rural areas sometimes will basically have just DSL and satellite. I actually expected flash drives to become a common distribution method for games as you can put very strong hardware level encryption and they have excellent read speeds to boot but 16 GB drives are still more expensive than Blu Ray media at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.