Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
I would go with GX2s, unless you want the 295s for gaming. I'm getting ~9800-10000ppd on each GX2.
QFT...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd
View Post

I would go with GX2s, unless you want the 295s for gaming. I'm getting ~9800-10000ppd on each GX2.

For real? i figured the gtx 295's would do better, i game alot to but nothing graphics intense just some RTS here and there, arnt there 2 cores on a gtx 295?

so whats the best way to spend 1000 for folding / gaming?

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
I would go with 3 GX2 over 2 295s. You will get more ppd and save a good $250.

I believe the GTX295s are basically 2 downclocked GTX280s which get 6-8k ppd depending on WU.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

View Post

What would be a good mobo for that setup?

those are 9800 gx2 right?

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicketyRickety
View Post

What would be a good mobo for that setup?

Any 3 or 4 slot. Your 790i would run 3 without a problem.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I believe the GTX295s are basically 2 downclocked GTX280s which get 6-8k ppd depending on WU.

THere's a post on here that proves that you can glitch the GTX 295s to use 100% both cores by making it think there's a third monitor (without the use of a dummy plug) and he was getting 15k ppd...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

View Post

Any 3 or 4 slot. Your 790i would run 3 without a problem.

Im looking to free up my sig so i dont have to shut done the folding to game for a few hours, what is a reasonable great cpu over clocker that holds 3 cards?

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodfire
View Post

THere's a post on here that proves that you can glitch the GTX 295s to use 100% both cores by making it think there's a third monitor (without the use of a dummy plug) and he was getting 15k ppd...

so 2 295s is about equal to 3 GX2s.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodfire
View Post

You have a link?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD+nVidia
View Post

Uhh big check!

From what?

Its from ehh uhh ehem cough woo hoo a big check!

no last year i got screwed on my unemployment they fixed it and i got all of it in 1 lump sum!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks mort, nobody in my area even sells those and $344.00 seems high for that card, im just going to go to compusa and see what they have. Not enough feedback yet to decide but i will probably go with the 9800 gx2 unless more ocn'ers chime in.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruredee View Post
I agree. Report him for being a nuisance and not posting anything helpful or productive.

So OP a stack of GX2 cards en route?
Just about, still scanning for the best deals. Mort pointed to the ebay ones thats probably what ill go with nice price

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicketyRickety View Post
Just about, still scanning for the best deals. Mort pointed to the ebay ones thats probably what ill go with nice price

Well if you buy used try to get XFX if from the original owner. That way they will still have the lifetime warranty.

• Rep+
Reactions: SlicketyRickety

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruredee View Post
Well if you buy used try to get XFX if from the original owner. That way they will still have the lifetime warranty.
O good call on the double warranty lifetime!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, i decided to go with 3 x GTX BFG 285 OC edition for a mere $340 each and brand new ^^ Thanks for the input as its always much appreciated. as for the MoBo im going to go with the evga 790I FTW i can get it new for $199 that way i can over clock a CPU for mass folding. Thanks all who helped.
: band:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts