Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't see him going to say Bethesda or EA and telling them he wants to get funding for a game about delivering packages in the rain on foot, with ghosts. I can only imagine how much Norman Reedus squeezed out of them for his part in the movie, oops video game.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I can't see him going to say Bethesda or EA and telling them he wants to get funding for a game about delivering packages in the rain on foot, with ghosts. I can only imagine how much Norman Reedus squeezed out of them for his part in the movie, oops video game.
Someone that connected in the gaming industry and as famous as he is (I can't think of anyone more well known than him outside of possibly Miyamoto) would have any trouble getting private investors and/or loans to get his company off and running. I doubt he even had to pitch Death Stranding to begin with.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
What DNMock said. That and He has lot of support from within Sony Entertainment. People call him an Sony Fanboy for good reason. There's reasons its an PS4/PC exclusive, i think Sony helped fund it somewhat as Sony does that sort of things and Sony has an history of buying out these studios inevitably. Look at what happened to Insominac Games : It's history is mostly making games for playstation and in the end, it was Sony who bought them. However, Sony is probably one of the more hands-off in terms of interference, who else would let some of those games like Sony Japan The Last Guardian go through that much development hell.

Mark Cerny is suppose to be friends with him and when he started his studio, he literally got inside access to Sony 1st Party Studios and its development teams, including its major engine development teams at Naughty Dog/Guerilla Games. That makes an huge difference having access to Sony engine development team. I don't think he paid much to have access to Guerilla Games (Killzone/Horizon Zero Dawn) Decima Engine.

·
god loves ugly
4,244 Posts
It's one of those things that beget themselves, just think if anyone else tried to make the same game

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It's one of those things that beget themselves, just think if anyone else tried to make the same game
Kojima Games are very much you like it or you don't. There's really no in between. I think the kojima game people wanted the most was an sequel to zone of the ender's. However that's gone since Konami holds the IP and its more or less an Pachinko (now losing tons of money) and only kept producing it well regarded Winning Eleven/PES European Football Franchise.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Makes sense sony funded. They fund lot of games that aren’t stuff the other publishers will gamble on.

They are only reason we got all those quantic dream (david cage) games so Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Detriot Becomes Human.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If I had tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, I wouldn't hesitate to invest a million or so into a project he was working on. That's just me, a rando on the internet.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, I wouldn't hesitate to invest a million or so into a project he was working on. That's just me, a rando on the internet.
But, would you rather invest that money in a Kojima production or a GTA VI or a Battlefield VIII?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
But, would you rather invest that money in a Kojima production or a GTA VI or a Battlefield VIII?
It depends on the age and region market you are targeting.

If you are targeting western market then the trend leads to gta vi/battlefield viii/esport. The younger gamers all play the same games i found (esport/etc) where as the older group are individual. I no longer am an fps/gta person.

If your targeting japan/asia market its total different audience. Yes they play bf/cod but some asian markets the top selling games are the sports game and moba/local mmo. Japan is market i don’t understand, from western perspective they are still very much into making fan service games.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
If I lived and worked in Japan like Kojima does? Kojima Productions...
Japan has quite number of good studios. Most of sony studios are good. Sega studios are pretty good too - Yakuza, Star Ocean, Persona teams. You got platinum games, which is growing fast. Namco has couple top end studios. Just to name an few.

We are starting to see the chinese game developers triple a scene get better. There are lot of untapped games ideas from that market if they focus less on micro transactions and mobile gaming.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I lived and worked in Japan like Kojima does? Kojima Productions...
Has any Kojima game ever made anything close to what any Battlefield game has grossed? Or any modern, 3D, GTA game?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting hard numbers for individual games is tricky, but the Metal Gear and Battlefield franchises have sold broadly similar numbers of copies.

See: List of best-selling video game franchises - Wikipedia
I never realized Battlefield sold so few copies (relatively speaking) to the COD series. I had thought they were roughly equivalent in number of sales across their respetive franchise histories. I'm also somewhat shocked COD has outsold GTA. GTA has been around since forever.
Do the sales figures quoted for GTA include the original GTA and GTA2? GTA was a best seller in the UK, but while a million units sold meant something back then, maybe it doesn't anymore.
Also that article only discusses units sold, not how much was made off those units. The GTA series from GTA3 on was priced as a AAA title. I'm not sure if Metal Gear titles were back then.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I never realized Battlefield sold so few copies (relatively speaking) to the COD series. I had thought they were roughly equivalent in number of sales across their respetive franchise histories. I'm also somewhat shocked COD has outsold GTA. GTA has been around since forever.
Do the sales figures quoted for GTA include the original GTA and GTA2? GTA was a best seller in the UK, but while a million units sold meant something back then, maybe it doesn't anymore.
Also that article only discusses units sold, not how much was made off those units. The GTA series from GTA3 on was priced as a AAA title. I'm not sure if Metal Gear titles were back then.
Yes, it's tricky. Reaching platinum for sales doesn't mean as much as it used to for the big publishers, but likewise "Freemium" games can make an absolute killing in microtransactions, so the lines have all blurred. Then you have those come-out-of-nowhere-and-storm-the-world games like Minecraft...

I can't speak for the original Metal Gear games, or the PSX version of Metal Gear Solid, but I do remember that MGS2 launched on the PS2 at £45, and the Gamecube remake of MGS was £40. MGS4 was £50 IIRC. I remember my friends with N64s whining about how much Perfect Dark cost (£65 or something crazy) and then to get the best of it you also needed the RAM upgrade for the N64 (which was another £60 or something I think... I never had one so I've no idea on that front...)

Call of Duty sold well because it was a WWII shooter at the time when WWII was a popular topic. Then they transitioned to consoles at just the right time too. The early games seemed to sell on their SP experiences; my uncle absolutely loved Call of Duty 1 and 2. At that point it just became a marketing exercise. ;)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Death stranding have told a good story, but it's not an intresting game to play.
The inclusion of Conan O'Brien was a really poor choice. I haven't met the terrorists who actually kill people -- maybe it'll get more interesting then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts