Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at putting a Kraken G10 on my Gigabyte R9 390.

If so I will also need to put some heatsinks on the the RAM and VRMs.

Heatsinks for the RAM seem easy enough, but the VRMs I am not so sure. Also I can't even figure out where the VRM2 is for this card (see image: https://postimg.org/image/odj063ze7/).

I am thinking these for the VRM1 (attached with some Sekisui 5760 thermal tape), one heatsink per MOSFET and Inductor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20PC-Alumin...-MOSFET-IC-Chip-Cooler-Heatsink-/301408594156

Or should I look at something larger to cover the MOSFET and the Inductor like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-20x14...For-Motherboard-Memory-IC-Chips-/322299093889

Also what is the VRM2 situation? Are they MOSFETs and Inductors at the top and bottom of my screenshot?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
509 Posts

There u go, u need to cool the mosfets i draw u with a heatsink, there are these small squared black IC.
For the inductors, u don't need to have an heatsink on them, but as u saw they have a thermal pad to help dissipate heat, cooling them is a good idea too if u can.
The vrm2, the ram one are the other 3 squared black IC that i draw u.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for that!

So best to cool the inductors too...maybe I'll use some VRAM heatsinks on them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrod View Post

Nice ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for that!

So best to cool the inductors too...maybe I'll use some VRAM heatsinks on them.
Yep if u can but it is not mandatory, decent airflow around them is enough, but hey, cooler always work better.
By the way, looking your stock cooler check how the VRM1 are cooled by the heatsink, u should find a thermal pad somewhere on it, when it match with the pcb and these small chip.
Do the same looking for the VRM2, and some thermal pad on the stock cooler.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep had a look at the stock cooler:

Looks like it has a thermal pad/connection with the heatsink for the VRM1 mosfets but not the inductors...

...and has nothing for either on the VRM2 side.

So some heatsinks on all of them should work better hopefully!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

Yep had a look at the stock cooler:

Looks like it has a thermal pad/connection with the heatsink for the VRM1 mosfets but not the inductors...

...and has nothing for either on the VRM2 side.

So some heatsinks on all of them should work better hopefully!
Yep, this is why i asked u to check on the cooler, because i suspected that vrm2 would be without heatsink; or maybe u have something directly on them on the pcb?
Like i said the inductor are not really a problem, chill them is not the primary objective imo, but it is more to help to dissipate the heat coming from the mosfets.
Anyway can u post me a picture of the pcb pls or it is the same as the OP?

·
Registered
509 Posts
U can read something on the VRM2 chip
biggrin.gif
, they are like new, so yeah no heatsink.
biggrin.gif

It is really not a problem at the end, it is the VRM that feed the memory i think, the ram usually do not need a huge tons of power.
The inductors dissipates through the pad on them that touch the fins of the stock cooler.

So yeah if u manage to fit heatsinks on ram, inductors and vrm, it sould be ok and the card would be happy.
But be aware that if u want overclock, and by this i mean rise the gpu voltage quite far, a glued heatsink like the one in the op will definitely not be enough.
So i advice u, if u plan to use these for the main vrm1, to check it's t° the first time u get the card power on.
These chip heat a lot, acceptable at stock clock full load, but really warm when u decide to push the gpu clock and voltage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm yeh, the stock cooler has a much larger area to dissipate the heat doesn't it...those heatsinks are really quite small in comparison. It will have a flan blowing on them though (from the Kraken G10).

This card is voltage locked so I can't do much of an overclock anyway, but it already gets very hot (I'm in Australia).

·
Registered
509 Posts
Exactly, so u need to find a trick to get a decent heatsink on vrm1, on top of that like u said there is a fan on the kraken bracket especially for the vrm.
Getting 15/25° less on the core but not dissipate decently the vrm would be a shame.
A solution would be to reuse the one on the stock cooler, if it is possible to detach it without destroying completely the stock cooler. Its what usually ppl do when they mount the kraken, trying to reuse the stock vrm heatsink.
Obviously if the card is not under warranty or maybe u don't want to hurt the stock cooler.
After that u can check if there is some vrm heatsink kit compatible with the 390 on ebay.

This 390 is voltage locked? U cant rise the voltage using MSI afterburner?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and yep, voltage locked.

You can only raise the clocks a bit using afterburner/overdrive.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

Doesn't seem to be anything specifically for the 390, or the gigabyte in particular.

I've got some vertical height to play with, so maybe i'll go for one long heatsink like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100x25x10mm-Long-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-Chip-Cooling-LED-Power-IC-PC-Heatsink-Cooler-/131695668039?hash=item1ea9ac6b47:g:ZcUAAOSwLVZVrMRg
Nope usually there are some generic vrm heatsink compatible with different cards, since the layout of the pcb often do not change too much.
So yeah try to mod an heatsink just robust enough and carefully reuse the stock coller thermal pad.
smile.gif

Quote:

Oh and yep, voltage locked.

You can only raise the clocks a bit using afterburner/overdrive.
U checked the option, unlock core voltage in MSI Ab? I didnt know amd locked the voltage on some 390, maybe u can try to flash the bios with an unlocked one?

Because getting the card under water will give u decent temp, if u manage to get a decent vrm heatsink, and get voltage control, u could have some room for oc.
thumb.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts