·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so when I'm playing BF:BC2 on my PC (Sig rig, but here's the specs anyway

Phenom II X2 550 BE @ 3.8Ghz
4GB DDR3 1333 (NB Frequency @ 2400Mhz)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB (@ 800/1100)

Now, when I begin the game, I can run it fine on the Max setting (High Quality on everything, 4X AA And AF, No HBAO Or V-sync), but withing five minutes of me playing, The FPS sorta stumbles down to about, say, 25FPS (which is a No-no when playing multiplayer, and I just cannot stand it).

If you need to know my Windows Index rating, here are the ratings:

Processor: 6.8
RAM: 7.5
Graphics (Both Aero and Gaming): 7.5
HD: 5.9

So, I'm pretty sure It's not the HD, since there isn't too much communication when running the game.

Could ya help me? XD

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
i think your bottleneck is ur 4870... actually nvm... unlock ur 550be to a b50... the game plays like *bleep* when im in dual core... but i play about 45fps solid on same settings quad

Bottleneck= cpu

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kill
View Post

i think your bottleneck is ur 4870... actually nvm... unlock ur 550be to a b50... the game plays like *bleep* when im in dual core... but i play about 45fps solid on same settings quad

Bottleneck= cpu

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL - The game can utilize a Quad-core. You don't think I tried to unlock it? I've tried for the better part, of, say, 250 times.

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razzal
View Post

What is the fps before it starts to tumble down to 25?

Most likely it is the processor holding you back because bf:bc2 is pretty proc intensive and is optimized for quad core

It's @ 60FPS before it tumbles.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
ok then buy a new one... the point is... ur cpu is the bottleneck...

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kill
View Post

ok then buy a new one... the point is... ur cpu is the bottleneck...

dude, the chances of me getting ANOTHER 550 BE Is like you trying to fly to the moon with roller skates.

I'm only 14, I'm not a 25 year old with a good paying job.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvidia-Brownies
View Post

It's @ 60FPS before it tumbles.

Most likely the reason it takes a bit to start tumbling is that a few minutes into matches is when things really start happening such as big fire fights and buildings collapsing and such. Not really sure what you can do if you cannot unlock and cannot afford another proc. Would start saving my allowance for a cheap phenom II x4 955 or something : | sorry about the situation bud that really sucks

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's one of the few games that will use a hex core. The game loves cores. If you can wait, there will be a lot of cheap phenom iix4s being sold here when Bulldozer is released.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:

View Post

dude, the chances of me getting ANOTHER 550 BE Is like you trying to fly to the moon with roller skates.

I'm only 14, I'm not a 25 year old with a good paying job.

Surely you can make some money. I am making $20 this week for fixing a broken laptop. I've also before made another $20 for virus removal.

Seriously offer people you know to speed up their computer for $10 and optimize it to hell and back. Seriously you will make some money, and besides sell your current cpu and you wouldnt even need that much more.

Edit: Oh, ya forgot to say I'm 14 too.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
sell the 550 or return it and get another....pretty easy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

sell the 550 or return it and get another....pretty easy.

Only if he is within the timeframe to return. The selling option is not as good because you are going to get less for it used and a lot less if your honest and tell people it will not unlock

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razzal
View Post

Only if he is within the timeframe to return. The selling option is not as good because you are going to get less for it used and a lot less if your honest and tell people it will not unlock

This is true, but come on man, its the middle of summer, pull out your lawn mower and knock on doors!! I am 16 and I dont have a job because of other summer commitments but I mow lawns and mowing once a week for 4 houses pulls a nice 320$ paycheck for gas in my 10MPG truck and money for the girl!

There are ways to make money about your PC if your serious! also shop OCN trade market! Ebay, and Craigslist for maybe a 955, they are cheaper you can easily get 4Ghz

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by txtrkandy
View Post

This is true, but come on man, its the middle of summer, pull out your lawn mower and knock on doors!! I am 16 and I dont have a job because of other summer commitments but I mow lawns and mowing once a week for 4 houses pulls a nice 320$ paycheck for gas in my 10MPG truck and money for the girl!

There are ways to make money about your PC if your serious! also shop OCN trade market! Ebay, and Craigslist for maybe a 955, they are cheaper you can easily get 4Ghz

Dude, I don;t live in a suburb, LOL. we have all the Lawn care services do the lawn moving (which is total BS!) - and all the people with private land mow their lawn themselfs and enjoy it. I made this rig from craigslist buying/selling (made a bunch of profit - about 400$. Yeah, my Girl could use some $$ herself, and that we could go Out every once and a while and blow some money.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Dude, I don;t live in a suburb, LOL. we have all the Lawn care services do the lawn moving (which is total BS!) - and all the people with private land mow their lawn themselfs and enjoy it. I made this rig from craigslist buying/selling (made a bunch of profit - about 400$. Yeah, my Girl could use some $$ herself, and that we could go Out every once and a while and blow some money.

Nor do I, I drive a ride on lawn mower, and mowing those 4 lawns takes me from 6 A.M. to 10:30 at night, its like a job I started...do what you can man!

And my girl just takes my money outta my wallet...its a one way system *

·
Premium Member
10,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHeadbang
View Post

It's one of the few games that will use a hex core. The game loves cores. If you can wait, there will be a lot of cheap phenom iix4s being sold here when Bulldozer is released.

The game utilizes four cores and Windows (Vista/7) spreads load across all six.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
You don't really have a bottleneck. But if you want to play BC2 maxed out you are going to need a better CPU and GPU, that's pretty much the bottom line. A new GPU would net you larger gains then a new CPU I would be willing to bet though. Despite BC2 using 4 cores fairly well it is still a GPU intensive game.

When I was running my 955 @ 4ghz and an OC'd 6850 I would get around 60fps with BC2 without HBAO 4xAA 8xAF, so the game does require a fairly beefy system. With my 480 I get more like 80fps avg, max AA/AF and HBAO on.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
BFBC2 will use upto 4 cores, that is all. Your cpu is bottlenecking.

OP your problem is you have a dual core, the reason it starts out ok is because nothing is going on. Once buildings start to fall, objects start to request clock cycles for physics calculations and your cpu chokes.

You simply do not have enough threads to play with the frostbite destruction engine, which uses havok cpu based physics.

Phenom II x4s are pretty cheap right now, your best bet would be to sell your x2 and spring the extra ~$30 for a quad.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared;14256157
BFBC2 will use upto 4 cores, that is all. Your cpu is bottlenecking.

OP your problem is you have a dual core, the reason it starts out ok is because nothing is going on. Once buildings start to fall, objects start to request clock cycles for physics calculations and your cpu chokes.

You simply do not have enough threads to play with the frostbite destruction engine, which uses havok cpu based physics.

Phenom II x4s are pretty cheap right now, your best bet would be to sell your x2 and spring the extra ~$30 for a quad.
this....try lowering anti alsing down to 1x and set everything on meduim setting. see if it helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts