Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am relatively new to overclock.net, but I have a question regarding where I can buy a touch screen that is similar in size and function of the Apple iPad's LED screen. It seems that many I have seen stretch past $1000 and I am looking for one less than $200-250. I am working on a prototype SFF PC and I would like to have a highly function touch screen as its main display.

Thank you very much.

·
Banned
3,369 Posts
You can get touchscreen kits that mount over netbook screens for a hundred or two on eBay I believe, just as a point of reference...

Not sure about dual touch and all that.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input. Do you know of any desktop displays that can use VGA/DVI as netbook screens are ideal but there is no way to connect them via a desktop motherboard?

·
System *****
2,527 Posts
You need an engineer, i dont think there is any other way around it.
Should you discover some multi interface screen thats not proprietary or some all in one / universal then hats off to you.

As far as ipad touch screens concern, a little birdy may have slipped a screen or two, over to my friends brothers uncles underground shop, where the main birdy is holding them till release, should you need the actual part ? Maybe give me a ring next month.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I thought. There's no retail market for that kind of surface. I would need to buy OEM and that means orders of 1000+ and I want to make 1....

Maybe if I took a look at the Chinese wholesalers webpages. They might have something. Not sure about quality though.

Thanks for the input. And the exact iPad screen will probably not suffice because the connectors from it to the iPad's mainboard are completely proprietary and not even with standard connections. So that wouldn't work....

Hmm....maybe I will have to go back to the drawing board. Put a keyboard on it....hmmpph.

Thanks for the answers. If you have an idea, please like a post. Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manji
View Post

Your best bet would be mimo touch screen mini lcd. They are a little bit smaller than the ipad screen size.

http://www.amazon.com/UM-720S-Screen...8579062&sr=8-2

The mimo looks like very nice and would buy it, but I have a question regarding the USB interface. Since it goes through USB, how does it use hardware acceleration? If I have 9400M graphics onboard, will the Mimo use the 9400M chip to put video on screen? AND, will I need a primary monitor in addition with the Mimo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The device is a plug and play usb that has a built in video card, so no. It won't take advantage of your 9400.

Well, this device was design incoherent with laptop and it requires a driver. So you would need a primary monitor. The driver should load on OS boot but not on system power-up. I'm not sure if that answer your question.

This is their site for further technical questions.
http://www.mimomonitors.com/

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manji View Post
The device is a plug and play usb that has a built in video card, so no. It won't take advantage of your 9400.

Well, this device was design incoherent with laptop and it requires a driver. So you would need a primary monitor. The driver should load on OS boot but not on system power-up. I'm not sure if that answer your question.

This is their site for further technical questions.
http://www.mimomonitors.com/
Thanks for the response. You could still be right,(for all I know you work for the company), but this is how I interpreted it.

I found this article on the technology it uses called DisplayLink and as far as I see, it will use resources from the system (ie GPU and CPU) to process the standard video into compressed data packets, (transcoding it to run through USB) and then out to the monitor which has the "video card" which essentially deciphers the compressed packets and puts the video on the screen.

But from what I see, it seems as if the video card will still have a role.

In regards to primary monitors etc., I may actually buy one for the heck of it, and try to set it up to get used as a primary monitor via Control Panel > Displays. After setting up the Mimo as Display 1, I may turn it off, pull the plug on Display 2 and see if it boots into the Mimo.

If it doesn't work, I will just use it for personal use. I will have to come up with some money however....

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Good luck with this. I spent about 2 weeks looking, best bet I found was mimo touch screens. You could try it out. 7" USB monitors

1 - 10 of 10 Posts