Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right so i'm fairly familiar with CPU overclocking and motherboard/ram and all that jazz.

but.... only graphics card i ever overclocked was my 4350 ;P

so finally after much deliberation and failure attempting to unlock my 6950 im going to overclock it
what should I aim for in terms of core speed and memory speed, which is better e.t.c.

I am aiming for a decent overclock which will give me noticeable performance gains when gaming but does not cost too much voltage.

My graphics card has very good cooling capabilities.

EDIT: btw i am using trixx

EDIT2: Right so now i have a stable (i think) overclock at 975-1350 1.18v.

is this a safe voltage? it ran furmark max 10 minutes, gputool and MSI combustor without problems. max temp 78

aim for higher core or memory?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klinkey
View Post

ok thanks +rep

im at 900-1350, is it better to overclock memory or core?

also is there a gpu equivalent of prime95? what should i use

I used Fumark, 3dmark11, 3dmark06 and 3dmark vantage for testing my OC.

Shame tough your card didn't unlock
how did you try to unlock it?
Save BIOS 1 alter it to unlocked shaders and flash to BIOS 2? Did you check what was on BIOS 2 already? Mine was already unlocked from factory.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuuut
View Post

I used Fumark, 3dmark11, 3dmark06 and 3dmark vantage for testing my OC.

Shame tough your card didn't unlock
how did you try to unlock it?
Save BIOS 1 alter it to unlocked shaders and flash to BIOS 2? Did you check what was on BIOS 2 already? Mine was already unlocked from factory.

well i swapped to 2, checked, not unlocked, altered the bios to 6970 shaders, overwrote it, didnt get any errors or anything, everything worked. turns computer on, 1408 shaders

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ok thanks +rep

im at 900-1350, is it better to overclock memory or core?

also is there a gpu equivalent of prime95? what should i use

Use Furmark or MSI Kombustor for stress testing. Your clocks are good. You will see more benefit from core overclocking than memory OCing. Cayman GPUs are not bandwidth limited. ~170 Gbps bandwidth is plenty enough

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

View Post

well i swapped to 2, checked, not unlocked, altered the bios to 6970 shaders, overwrote it, didnt get any errors or anything, everything worked. turns computer on, 1408 shaders

Most likely you have got a locked GPU like me. Whatever you try it wont unlock. Although as a alternative method, download W1zzard's script from TPU and use it to mod your original bios and then flash using winflash. You might just get lucky

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinkey;15246152
Right so now i have a stable (i think) overclock at 975-1350 1.18v.

is this a safe voltage? it ran furmark max 10 minutes, gputool and MSI combustor without problems. max temp 78

aim for higher core or memory?
That's where I would stop at that voltage and core/memory clocks. In most cases, increasing memory higher than 1375 will result in diminishing return, meaning, it will lower your performance when ECC kicks in.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinkey;15246236
might be where i have to stop ;P got artifacting in gputool at 1000 mhz, might raise memory to 1375 see what happens
Smart call. Without the benefits of better performance, it's uneccessary to put more stress to the core/memory and dissipating excessive heat. Memory to 1375 is very doable. Take a baby step of 5 MHz, artifacts is a good sign of instability and time to backdown. Avoid BSOD if all possible.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nah it didnt unlock
frown.gif
guess ill just stick to my overclock.

everything again worked fine, no errors, except i have to say the unlockrom thing is a bit wierd. the bars go a third of the way then it closes but doesnt give me errors.

but still 1408 shaders

1 - 20 of 29 Posts