Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well long story short I got some cash now and I'm trying to build a 5.0Ghz performance machine. I'm almost certain the only way I'm going to be able to push that chip is going the water cooled route. I got an Antec 900 two mid tower and I have no idea on where to start to buy this stuff. I'm not cheap and don't mind spending extra money for cosmetics or quality... below are my specs. Any Idea's on where to start and recommend anything?

Case -Antec 900 Two Mid Tower
Motherboard -P67A-UD4-B3
Processor -I7-2600K
Power Supply -Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000w
Memory -16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
HDD -C300 64GB SSD
Graphics -Sapphire 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB

Please help...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz
View Post

For a beginner water cooler, the XSPC Rasa 240 kit is a great way to delve into watercooling.

I agree that's prob the best option, but where would the rad go in an antec 900?

Is there space for a rad between the front fans and the hard drive cage and would it need to be a low profile?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabid;13116076
I agree that's prob the best option, but where would the rad go in an antec 900?

Is there space for a rad between the front fans and the hard drive cage and would it need to be a low profile?
I saw a setup of this case before an I believe the rad can go on the back. Its got two pre-drilled holes in the case enough to route the tubing through it... will this kit fit the 1155 socket board?

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomiyamu!;13116048
16 Gb ram...?
Yeah, wow, you really don't need 16GB. Wait 'till the price drops if you want a RAM drive.

I would also go with the RASA Kit if you're on a budget.

You could customize your own setup, but that would also involve picking out all the parts from scratch.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow01505;13116140
I saw a setup of this case before an I believe the rad can go on the back. Its got two pre-drilled holes in the case enough to route the tubing through it... will this kit fit the 1155 socket board?
It will.
I think you should get some better tubing and a nice coolant for this kit though.

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow01505;13116124
Yeah its pretty cheap... I returned my DD3 Triple Channel and 1366 board so I had the store credit. Needed to spend it on something.
Dude, get another HD 6950. It's WAYY more worth it than 8GB of useless RAM.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track;13116170
Dude, get another HD 6950. It's WAYY more worth it than 8GB of useless RAM.
^This.
CF (or SLI for that matter) is a far, far better deal than 8GB ram you most likely will never use. I'm having a hard time even using 50% of my 8GB.....

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklimitless;13116206
^This.
CF (or SLI for that matter) is a far, far better deal than 8GB ram you most likely will never use. I'm having a hard time even using 50% of my 8GB.....
That's right.

You'd have to have Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 working at the same time just to break 5GB.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like I said I had the store credit so it was really just a impulse purchase. lol I'm not really shopping on a budget I'm really trying to find the best stuff. I will def order this kit. What kind coolant would you recommend if not for this stuff...

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Another 8GB of RAM only cost me $50...it was worth it IMHO, plus I do heavy video and audio editing/mixing so I've used up to 14GB RAM before...I'll see if I can't get a screenshot. It's definitely NOT a waste of money...maybe to some it is, but to others...we actually use it
tongue.gif

@OP: The Rasa will work with the Antec 900 but you will have to mount the radiator out back. I plan on picking up the RX240 and running it on the back of my Stacker 830 as well. Have a look here: http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/882408-official-xspc-rasa-750-rs-rx120.html it is a good place to start with knowledge on this particular kit.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomiyamu!;13116160
It will.
I think you should get some better tubing and a nice coolant for this kit though.
By nice coolant I hope you meant distilled water
wink.gif

Which is a point, you will want a silver killcoil for your loop too. (you could use biocide but I have found it ineffective in the past, I now use both biocide and killcoils in my loops).

The tubing you get with it is fine though, you wont see any real performance change from switching it for a different size, it's pure aesthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track;13116240
That's right.

You'd have to have Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 working at the same time just to break 5GB.
Unless you're video editing...
rolleyes.gif

While I get people's want to help, not everybody only plays games lol and it's a little off topic

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track;13116240
That's right.

I'm using almost 6GB of my 12GB right now, and I don't have any games or big programs like Photoshop open (though I normally do). 8GB is probably enough for most people, but not everyone. It's not for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this system is just basically for kicking ass an sounding cool. I do a lot with videos. Plus I'm a network engineer I like fast computers... also I might get into RIFT when its all completed. I used to be a fan of SWG. if anyone knows what that was.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackson;13116366
I'm using almost 6GB of my 12GB right now, and I don't have any games or big programs like Photoshop open (though I normally do). 8GB is probably enough for most people, but not everyone. It's not for me.
Blistering Barnacles! What DO you have running?
(That said, yeah, it IS dependent on an individual's use)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklimitless;13116555
Blistering Barnacles! What DO you have running?
(That said, yeah, it IS dependent on an individual's use)
Firefox is using the largest chunk at just over 2GB, but that's with 215 tabs open currently (I think 100 of them are WC related) and a bunch of smaller apps for stuff. I generally do not close something once I open it till I restart, which is usually once a month for windows updates. I am a power user to the fullest extent of the meaning!
cool.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.